Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Bomber » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm

No, find out the facts of the propellor you're using.....

All because it's used somewhere else doesn't make it correct.....

So ask.... where have these values come from ?

This place has a problem with asking those sort of questions so I'll leave it to you.... afterall I want to be liked.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby erik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:10 am

You're doing a great job preventing that by pointing out all areas that need to be optimized before I got time to do it. That is irritating the hell out of me.

If you are so great at it you take over FDM development, from tomorrow on I do have little time to do it myself anyhow.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Bomber » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:03 pm

I thought you'd posted up the plane for people to test and fly.... ?

People are flying it, coming up with issues and I've looked at where those problems might originate from and have offered up some advice....

That it's irritating the hell out of you means you're taking it ALL to personal... It's my mistake... I geuinely thought someone had come along who was interested in doing flight models and as such would put aside the petty attitudes that exist around here.

So my mistake, I'm sorry you're not the person I hoped you were.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby erik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 pm

oh I am (or rather was) interested but not from you any more.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 am

For anyone following the progress of this project, I just pushed a major update.

While visually it doesn't appear on the surface to add that much, it actually puts in place the entire framework which will allow the J3Cub to have most of the effects and systems of the c172p (ones that are applicable anyway). But it will require many, many hours of setting it all up and adapting it to the Cub.

My original intent was to take it one system at a time but so many are loosely tied together that right or wrong it was easier to put it all in at once. Before I new it, I literally had the entire framework in place. From here on out I hope to take it one system at a time and clean it all up.

What you might see and enjoy in the short run is the snow skis and bush gear. Because of the roll-out rotation of a tail dragger I had to rework the ski animations and I still have more to do to get it perfect. But it is close enough to enjoy it as it is.

Some of the simple effects like pitot and chocks (bush only) are functional. The tie-downs are semi-functional but have issues that I have to work out.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby erik » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:15 am

I've pushed a new propeller configuration and fixed a sign mistake I introduced earlier for pitch due to thrust.
Please doe a git pull before you make any changes to J3Cub.xml
(I did correct this before but it got overwritten again).

And please be aware that O/S'es are case sensitive:
Cannot find property-rule configuration file 'Aircraft/j3cub/Systems/als-lights.xml'

It should read 'J3Cub' instead of 'j3cub'

Erik
erik

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks Erik.
If I overwrote one of your changes I'm really sorry about that. I don't know how I managed to do that because I normally do a pull and merge if necessary right before I push anything, just to make sure.

I also didn't see the als-lights error, surprisingly, it apparently didn't show up in the cmd console (which I have had open and referring to all day) and I haven't looked at the log since all the changes.
Last edited by wlbragg on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby jaxsin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Git shouldn't allow you to push commits upstream if someone else has since pushed an update to the repo without you being forced to pull and merge the new commit. I think it impossible unless you failed to merge properly, which could be the case if you wasn't aware of the change when you merged.
jaxsin

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:53 am

Erik, I can't get the engine to start unless I comment out the new property.
Code: Select all
<gearratio> 0.75592 </gearratio>

Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by wlbragg on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby erik » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:29 am

Ah yes, The J3 has no gear ratio, it's a left over from Aeromatic.
My bad.

Erik
erik

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Review:
It is a bit of a handful after landing without some serious rudder input. With careful rudder management, however, I would classify it among the easiest tailwheels to fly, despite having a pretty accurate flight dynamics modelling.
Forget starting in the ocean; you'll end up bouncing about the place so fast your computer hangs up.
(That is, remember to turn TerraSync on if you don't want to get a virtual broken neck, a broken screen, or a computer on fire!)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:05 am

Still plugging along with updates. The J3Cub now has more effects added. Interior and exterior shadows. Interior and exterior glass reflection (exterior still needs some work).

I noticed the rain on the windshield is active even though I actually thought I commented it out until I was ready to give it my attention.

Tiedowns, chocks (for all gear configurations), pitot tube cover, flashlight.

There seems to be an issue, (which I haven't tracked down yet), that can cause a random super ball bounce. I think it may be a stray contact point.
wlbragg

Postby erik » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:54 pm

There seems to be an issue, (which I haven't tracked down yet), that can cause a random super ball bounce. I think it may be a stray contact point.

I'm fairly certain that's a taildragger problem for JSBSim aircraft. The p51d has (had?) the same problem.

Erik
erik

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:08 pm

It did. The quick and dirty solution is to lower the spring strength in the JSBSim file.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Is that the problem where if you hit the ground the wrong way, you go bouncing over the atmosphere, and end up at -2000 with crazy g's, crashed?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft