Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

P-51D stall and spin: make it milder at takeoff and landing  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: P-51D stall and spin: make it milder at takeoff and land  

Postby dany93 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:21 am

dany93 wrote in Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm:Would it be possible to include these changes (this version P51D-dany-20151215.7z) in SVN ?
After that in the main repository version.... ?
With the current one in the main rep the engine does not start, and it is excessively difficult to take off and landing.

Done, updated version uploaded in FGAddon.

Thank you to all of you for your contribution to this subject, also to the developers Bertrand (bcoconni) and erik for the important bug fixes in FG and JSBSim.

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby bcoconni » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am

Thorsten wrote in Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 pm:I've had plenty of headaches with initializing kinematics (I have a few fairly long-running ones in the Shuttle systems, like fuel cells coming to operating conditions...) - and no matter what I set for their property, they init at zero and ramp up.

Which means in practice you init without having power for 30 seconds, which, well, kills you in most stages of the flight. So I'd love to be able to just set them to a value at startup rather than watch them crawl there.

FWIW, a kinematic component can be initialized without triggering the transient behavior by setting simultaneously the input and the output values to consistent values. Indeed it is the difference between the input state and the output state that triggers the transient behavior of kinematic.

For example, for the kinematic component below, you can move directly the flaps to an angle of 15 degrees by setting fcs/flap-cmd-norm to 0.5 and fcs/flap-pos-deg to 15.0.

Code: Select all
            <kinematic name="Flaps Control">
                <input>fcs/flap-cmd-norm</input>
                <traverse>
                    <setting>
                        <position>0</position>
                        <time>0</time>
                    </setting>
                    <setting>
                        <position>10</position>
                        <time>2</time>
                    </setting>
                    <setting>
                        <position>20</position>
                        <time>1</time>
                    </setting>
                    <setting>
                        <position>30</position>
                        <time>1</time>
                    </setting>
                </traverse>
                <output>fcs/flap-pos-deg</output>
            </kinematic>
bcoconni

IRC name: Bertrand0
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:14 pm

FWIW, a kinematic component can be initialized without triggering the transient behavior by setting simultaneously the input and the output values to consistent values.

Ah... that seems to be what I need, thanks!
Thorsten

Postby stuart » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note of appreciation for your work on the P51-D, which I took for a short flight over Rio this evening. It's long been one of my favourite aircraft in FG, and your recent changes are improving it even more. I particularly appreciate the autostart option to save time after an unsuccessful take-off. Great work!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby dany93 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Stuart,

Thank you.

Dany
dany93

Postby OK-F » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:32 am

Hi just discovered this beautiful plane and wanted to ask if it's currently maintained. The plane is seems pretty realistic and hard to fly wich is great. It deserves an attention as this is one of the best planes in FG in my opinion.
OK-F

Postby dany93 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am

Hi OK-F,

I completely agree with your opinion about this aircraft.

It has been developed (in its current form, particularly the FDM) by Hal Van Engel. We can say that it was like his 'kid' in FG. Much more than maintenance.
Very sadly, Hal suddenly passed away in 2015.

As I obviously greatly appreciate this aircraft and to avoid letting it as abandoned, I maintained it a few times for some dysfunctions. This way, I hope it goes on and still work. But my role is rather limited. All the more that its FDM and systems are very complicated. Fortunately, I followed it and had forums exchanges about the FDM with Hal when he still worked on it.

Dany
dany93

Postby OK-F » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 am

Oh dear didn't know that! That is sad.. Well he did a big bunch of good work here. We should keep the plane running then. I am not a developer but I am willing to help in any other way possible. Like test flights, finding info about P51 etc. just let me know. I know it's not much but I learned that even people with no dev. experience can help develop FG :) Hope we can keep it updated and I appreciate you work on it. Anyway I was looking at the sourceforge.net files of the P51 and Stuart merged some files here and there does he maintain the plane too? thx
Last edited by OK-F on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
OK-F

Postby OK-F » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:33 am

I was flying it over the weekend and it seems working ok with 2017.3.1. I will test it with 2018.1.1 once the stable version will be out.
OK-F

Postby dany93 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 am

Hi OK-F

Thank you for your proposal. :)

I hope that I can keep it updated, enough to keep it working, if possible improved but, as I wrote, this aircraft is very complicated (systems, FDM). Hence, I try inside my limits. Not for important changes. Fortunately in case of a serious issue we are not alone.
I rather think that Stuart's changing were standard, massive ones, for all aircraft (or many which need for matching the current FG code). Just a guess...

It should work with the future stable version. I tested it with my current git version 2018.2.0.
dany93

Postby OK-F » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Seems that the model is burning for other pilots when active over the MP. I dont see any fire and didnt crash or anything like that.
OK-F

Postby dany93 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:41 am

Sorry, but I know nothing about MP transmission.
I even didn't know that this aircraft could catch fire.

Can someone tackle with this issue?

@OK-F:
The best may be to open a new topic with this issue (which has nothing to do with the FDM, thus may be unnoticed).
dany93

Postby OK-F » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 am

No worries I posted it in the multiplayer section. I think it's quite a big problem cause no one wants to fly online with a burning plane right :-) Hope I can find someone to fix it...
Last edited by OK-F on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OK-F

Postby OK-F » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi Deny can we do a test. We both take P51 and lets see if I see the P 51 burning from my point of view. wlbragg is asking if that is so. Would you help with that? thx a lot
OK-F

Postby V12 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 am

I had similar trouble with B707. When my Concorde come to the scene, all the emergency devices on the B707 has been activated. I found 1 badly transmitted MP parameter in the Concorde's model .XML file. I removed it from section <nasal><load> and all is OK, that 2 birds can coexists in the MP environment.

I will try find some solution this evening.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft