Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New Project Cessna 152 II

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

New Project Cessna 152 II

Postby awall86 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi, I'm a new user un Flightgear world. I'm not real pilot, or professional developer. I'm only a flight simulator enthusiast, but I decide to collaborate with FlightGear project, making a GNU/GPL Cessna 152 II (IFR Panel) model. I'm working on it and trying to learn about FlightGear philosophy.

I've a little experience making aircrafts for X-Plane (www.alcala-sim.com) but FlightGear development method is really different.

Currently, I am researching and learning all development processes and elements involved in modeling and animation.

The plane flies correctly now, the jsbsim FDM is Ok, but still much work to be done on the exterior model and the 3D cockpit. I'm trying to achieve a high level of detail and functionality similar to default C172p, or Beechcraft B1900d.

Project status is early alpha. When the project status allows it, I will put images.

Best Regards
awall86

Version: 2017.2.0

Re: New Project Cessna 152 II

Postby Michat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for sharing and wellcome.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:10 pm

@awall86 If this project goes forward, I'd be interested in contributing to it. Do you have a repository with your current work?
gsagostinho

Postby awall86 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi gsagostinho. I need to learn how to create a repository. : ( because I have no experience in GNU / GPL projects.

I will be very proud to receive your collaboration on this project. I try to create a repository for the project shortly.

Best regards
awall86

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:37 pm

@awall86 What's exactly your area of work, 3D modelling or something else as well? As for the repository, I'd suggest GitHub. git may be a bit scary in the beginning, but it's totally worth it.
gsagostinho

Postby Johan G » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:37 pm:git may be a bit scary in the beginning, but it's totally worth it.

I'll second that. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby awall86 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:50 pm

@gsagostinho, I have no special knowledge in any specific area :cry: In fact, I spend a lot of time researching and testing things. I am not a programmer, nor 3D designer, but I have hundreds of hours researching Blender and trying to learn how to use it.

I am not real pilot. Do some aircraft for X-Plane has helped me to learn about "feelings" in the flight dynamics, but unfortunately both simulators are very different, when you are creating these dynamics. Here there is no PlaneMaker, and therefore, we must learn to code in XML.

It's a challenge, but I like to learn something new every day. :lol:

I'm trying to understand how Github works. I hope to make progress on this during this weekend.

Regards
awall86

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:49 am

That's not a problem at all, most of us started developing planes in the same way :) But do I understand that you have started working on a 3D model since you mention "[w]hen the project status allows it, I will put images"?

Let me know how it goes with GitHub, I can give you a hand with that if you need.

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby awall86 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi Gilberto, After a few hours of research, I have a new account in Github, and the files of the c152 project are published in a repository. :lol:

What is the next step?

Regards

Adrian
awall86

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Adrian,

I just found your repository and I had a quick look at your model in Blender and it looks really promising! :D Some questions about it:

- did you model it by yourself? If not, is the model you are using GPL?
- what about the textures, did you check their licenses (or used textures from another GPL aircraft)?

The next step is to start to work, basically. And also get used to git. Do you have some idea about how git works, for instance what are branches, what the commands pull, add, commit and push do, etc.? If not that's no problem at all, I can try to help you with what I know.

You may know that I work mainly with textures, though I also work with sounds and I am able to program a little bit in xml and Nasal. If you are able to UV map the plane, I can start to work on the textures. We can also use a lot of things from the c172p project (some 3D objects for the cockpit for instance, some of the implemented systems and features).

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby awall86 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Gilberto,

I'm making the model myself on Blender. It is based on the original model C150, available in the official repository of Flightgear, to have the dimensions and proportions, but my intention is to redo it completely. There is still much work to do in the model.

Regarding textures, are drawn, mostly, with a vector program. Also use the textures of my projects for X-Plane as a source for certain details.

I will upload today, the last changes to Github repo.

Some images of the project (In early alpha state):

3D Cockpit (with the first two instruments added)

Exterior Model

Regards
awall86

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Looking really good, bravo! Just some advice about the textures:

I would suggest you keep two large png files with almost all textures on them, one for the interiors and one for the exteriors. I think it will be difficult to fit everything you need in a single png file as you are working, but if you think you can do that, go for it :)
gsagostinho

Postby bugman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 am

Just a side note, for all that you can do in GitHub, you can also do using SourceForge (the infrastructure behind the official FlightGear repositories). For example here are instructions for setting up a SourceForge account (which also lets you vote for the project of the month), and simple instructions for setting up a git repository. Transferring existing git repositories between different remote repositories is also incredibly easy (create the remote git repository, set it up as a second remote in your local copy, then push). If you look at the Wikipedia feature comparison, you'll see that SourceForge provides all the services GitHub has, but adds a lot more (shell servers, mailing lists, forums). Anyway, that was just a little bit of self advertising and myth busting for the FlightGear project ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi Adrian, how are you loading the model on FG? Are you using FGRun? For some reason it can't find the c152 on its list...
gsagostinho

Postby awall86 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Gilberto, yes I'm using FGrun (Windows) to launch Flightgear. I can see correctly the c152, in the aircrafts list, and in the viewer, without problems.
awall86

Next

Return to Aircraft