Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

FlightGear 3.6 RC crashes with Boeing 777 and multiplayer

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: FlightGear crashes with Boeing 777 and multiplayer

Postby KL-666 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Just tested with a few other aircraft where i could find mp-sound configuration. These also cause freezes in the same way as 777:

bell-407
hughes500
ja37-viggen

So i guess it is not a "777 / mp sound" issue, but a "any aircraft with correct mp sound config / mp sound" issue. I think there should be looked into the sound processing logic of fg. Have looked at sourceforge, and there is something done in 2015 regarding sound coming from different orientations. Probably that was between 3.4 and rc3.6.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:20 pm

correct, I think it was Erik who worked on that - if you think that this could be the culprit, have you tried to look up the matching fgdata/fgaddon commits to remove those changes and see if that affects the bug you are seeing ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bugman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:27 pm

That would be this forum thread:

However this was an OpenAL-Soft feature added after the 3.6 branch point, and then reverted. So it cannot be the issue here.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby KL-666 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Ok, after rc3.6. And the previous modifications (from 2014)? Did they maybe hop over the border of 3.4?

I do not know how to find related modifications in fgdata, but i tried a copy of 777 from 3.4, resulting in the same effect in rc3.6. That adds to the conviction that something more core-like must have changed.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Is this still -apparently- MP related, or can it be also triggered via AI ? Just asking because that woud make it much easier for us to reproduce, and come up with a gdb backtrace.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby bugman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm

The sound changes that Erik is looking after are in simgear. If you'd like to help and look around there, try:

Code: Select all
$ git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/simgear flightgear-simgear
$ cd flightgear-simgear
$ git log --stat

Then type "/" to search for text, type "simgear/sound" to find sound related changes, and "n" to go to the next change. You can find the dates of tags on the SourceForge web interface for the simgear source code repository. You might have a better idea of what to look for.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:04 pm

if you are doing that, there are probably also matching sound-related commits in $FG_SRC/AIModel

However, I would suggest to get an older binary (build artefact) from the build server pre-dating those changes to check first if the "old" binary doesn't exhibit the same problem (analogous to using git bisect, just manually ...)

Personally, I am not aware of any reasons why this should only show up for MP aircraft and not AI objects - unless the latter don't have any sounds associated !?
Last edited by Hooray on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby KL-666 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:06 pm

It is the "real" aircraft related. Remember i could avoid this by using ai placeholders for mp 777's. So if you know a way to show the "real" aircraft in ai? I failed in showing the 777 as tanker.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:08 pm

I don't think it makes much of a difference - in fact, back in the old days, FG would always default to loading the "full" model anyway, including even cockpits and instrumentation...

If I were troubleshooting this on a Windows computer without any working dev tool chain, I would first of all verify that this seems sound related, i.e. by locating the folder with sounds and deleting/renaming that (or by editing the corresponding XML files), to ensure that the bug no longer shows up (with the sound system still running)

Next, I would try to locate where the 3D position for the sounds is specified and edit/change that, i.e. by reverting back to the previous version
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby KL-666 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello Hooray,

I could already predict this, but because you asked i removed from the Models/777-<model i was going to view>.xml

<sound><path>Aircraft/777/Sounds/mp-sound.xml</path></sound>

Et voila, no problem. About finding 3D stuff, i did not understand.

Maybe we can now finally recognize that it is:
- mp-sound related
- not aircraft specific

Ergo we have to look at what changed between 3.4 and 3.6 in the core, that can be mp-sound related. Maybe someone can compile a rc3.6 fgfs.exe (64bit) for me, without any sound related changes after 3.4. I'd happily test that.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby sanhozay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:16 pm

I tried this again with 3.6 and the Viggen, using two Flightgear instances with mirrored in/out multiplayer config but I still can't get it to crash or hang. I hear the sound from the other aircraft, so I do have MP sound working. I did get some lag when first looking at the other model but it recovered within a couple of seconds.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby KL-666 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 pm

It might be useful to know on which os is tested when people state their (not) hangs. The ones i know of that hang are on windows.

Kind regards, Vincent.
KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Now i borrowed fgfs.exe from 3.4 into everything else of rc3.6. No problem occurred.

Now definitely the problem is in fgfs.exe. It is a problem that has to do with hearing sounds from an external plane. Then fg freezes. It can be worked around by disabling AI/MP sound. The cases i know of are on windows. Testing can be done with model viewing a 777-200 with the engines on. That one at least has mp-sound configured. Not all planes have.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Well, I'm on Windows, and due to major stomach cramps I have to stay home tonight, so...?
Meet you in a 777 at SVMI, maybe? 10 minutes?
I have the AI-TO-FIXFPS suggested by you, so I will not have hang, but you should. I wonder, how could I manage to remove that AI-TO-FIXFPS777 to get the default MP777, and see if it happens to me?
Then you could add the fix, so you do not hang.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby KL-666 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Approaching SVMI now
KL-666

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft