Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A4K Skyhawk Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: A4K Skyhawk Development

Postby SplitDecision » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am

Current Cockpit Progress:
Developing the RNZAF A4K Skyhawk for FlightGear. Download: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/A-4K
SplitDecision

Callsign: SplitDec, NZStrik

Postby Johan G » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

That looks rather ok. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby vanosten » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:35 am

Had it out for a a ride yesterday - very cool plane to cut edges in the Alps. Looking forward to try the cockpit improvements.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby SplitDecision » Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Glad people are downloading and enjoying it :) I commit changes and updates to FGMEMBERS as soon as I have finished them, so the most up to date version can always be downloaded there.
Developing the RNZAF A4K Skyhawk for FlightGear. Download: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/A-4K
SplitDecision

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 am

We're generally more interested in getting updates and changes committed to FGAddon - in that way a quarter of a million users get to enjoy them rather than a few dozen.
Thorsten

Postby SplitDecision » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

I don't understand, can't everyone download from FGMEMBERS? Or is FGAddon how people download from the Qt launcher? ... and why do people seem to argue over the two?
SplitDecision

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 02, 2017 9:38 am

FGAddon is the aircraft repository of the Flightgear project - aircraft there are displayed by the Qt-launcher for download and fetched automatically via http. The content of FGAddon is also taken care of by the FG developers in case of core changes which require aircraft to adapt for compatibility.

FGMembers is a 3rd party repository not affiliated with the Flightgear project - as far as I know users are expected to access the content via git commands (so while technically everyone can download, I'm not sure the vast majority of end users would know how to use git), and compatibility with the FG core is managed by the FGMembers owners (or not, I don't know). The Qt launcher does not know of FGMembers and does not display its contents.
Thorsten

Postby PINTO » Wed May 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 02, 2017 9:38 am:as far as I know users are expected to access the content via git commands

There's also an easy to use download button that github provides, as well as github's easy to use release feature which can be used to distribute.

Also, when you say

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 am:We're generally more interested in getting updates and changes committed to FGAddon

That might be true for you, but it isn't true for everyone on this forum.

Aircraft developers should be free to distribute how they want without harassment from you.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 03, 2017 6:10 pm

That might be true for you, but it isn't true for everyone on this forum.

I can't speak for everyone on this forum, but it's the official position of the Flightgear developers (which is, loosely, what the 'we' refers to).

Aircraft developers should be free to distribute how they want without harassment from you.

Please mind your manners, you're not in the 'free to insult' forum. There has been no harassment of any kind.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed May 03, 2017 6:45 pm

can't everyone download from FGMEMBERS? Or is FGAddon how people download from the Qt launcher?

Yes and yes.

You will kill two birds with one stone if you upload to fgaddon. You will be in the official FlightGear repository available for download through the QT launcher and you will also be in the fgmembers repository because it pulls from everywhere.

Everything Thorsten said was accurate and only meant to clarify your questions.

and why do people seem to argue over the two?

There is a long history of events that explain this. However the "attitude" seen in this posting, in my opinion, is unwarranted and I hope will not fester into more because it simply isn't helpful and also not doing your question justice as should be obvious by the "two birds with one stone" analogy.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby SplitDecision » Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Alright, I'll seriously consider FGAddon at some stage but please don't start arguments. I was only trying to figure things out etc.
SplitDecision

Postby PINTO » Thu May 04, 2017 4:18 am

Currently getting this error (fresh clone from FGMEMBERS):

Code: Select all
An error occured reading the requested aircraft (A-4K)

Cannot open file ../../Input/Keyboard/carrier-bindings.xml at C:/path/to/aircraft/A-4K-set.xml, line 613, column 2

I don't install my aircraft into FGDATA, so that's the cause. Just in case you wanted to switch something up.

Was a fun plane to fly. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the development for sure.

Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wlbragg » Thu May 04, 2017 6:12 am

@SplitDecision
I don't install my aircraft into FGDATA, so that's the cause. Just in case you wanted to switch something up.

It appears that if you remove "../../" from "../../Input/Keyboard/carrier-bindings.xml" so it reads
Input/Keyboard/carrier-bindings.xml it will find the binding in the default fgdata location.

Beware this error is also causing the A-4K not to appear in the aircraft list when pointed to directly by an "Additional Aircraft Locations" entry, without notice of error. It simply fails to show up.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby SplitDecision » Thu May 04, 2017 7:10 am

Problem fixed, thanks for reporting. I'm very pleased people are flying the A-4K and enjoying.
SplitDecision

Postby SplitDecision » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:23 am

The A-4K now has guns, flares, and smoke...

The cockpit development is still ongoing and we have added amongst other things, throttle and stick animations, interior textures, and warning lights. Soon hopefully also panel lighting.

Also externally, an access ladder (toggleable from the A-4K menu) and we hope to soon also add a GTC start cart and begin working on an engine startup sequence.

There are also a few more liveries...

The FGMEMBERS repo is kept up to date with changes and new additions to the A-4K. We will also be making a first release to FGAddon very soon and intend to do this each year.
SplitDecision

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft