Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Expect some transient breakage in the details of the DPS simulation as I integrate the GPC simulation. Right now, GPCs moded to HALT re-boot into OPS 0 for instance, and I plan to support some of the checklists for transitioning to OPS 2 / re-starting a faulty GPC better.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Very nice, I can include the GPC re organisation in post insertion and pre deorbit préparation coming soon.
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby amalahama » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 am

I have it, and it's great for the FG Shuttle. Basically it's a summary of all the technical documentation available from NASA repositories, it analyzes the platform system by system, it's deep and exhaustive, and in the final part, it describes normal operations and contingencies.

It's not the typical Space Shuttle book, it's purely technical. Yet it's a more easy-to-read resource than the SCOM, although you will still need to check it for details.

Regards!
amalahama

Postby GinGin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Ah ok thanks for the feedback.
I will have a look on it so :)

I was reading this one lately about STS 1 and all the STS program creation, amazing one: https://www.amazon.com/Into-Black-Extraordinary-Columbia-Astronauts/dp/1501123629

@Thorsten : I am editing the wiki and the mission part to get rid of the tutorial part.
I am also working on pre deorbit prep entry and landing tuto and I have a small request concerning the Orbital Map.

Would it be feasible to have a preview of the groundtrack of the next orbit ( next two orbits lets say) to have an idea of downrange to a landing site for deorbit burn in advance

I will test more in deep the GPC and TAL changements, I can't wait ahah :)
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

We have that:

Shows the groundtrack prediction for the next orbit, the landing site and even the EI.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Ah I didn't notice that the ground track left behind the shuttle movement was the next orbit grountrack, is it correct?
I thought it was the current Orbit Ground Track
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Blue: your past groundtrack Red: the prediction Magenta: Radius line around landing site Magenta aim symbol: EI Black NDB symbol: landing site.

Incidentially, the plot shows how you can aim the de-orbit by burning till the EI moves onto the radius line.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Perfect, thanks for the highlight, so disregard my request ahah
Ah yes, Crossrange in Nm from landing site to expected groundtrack is possible to display?

A bit of work on wiki today.
I re organized the Mission Phases section for the upcoming changes

RTLS added http://wiki.flightgear.org/Flying_the_Shuttle_-_Return_To_Launch_Site_RTLS

I updated also almost every pictures on the main wiki Shuttle page, more up to date graphics wise and also all the Gallery part at the end, brand new pictures.
I kept the logic and order.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Space_Shuttle#Gallery

Next step this week, update of Launch and on Orbit Mission phases to get rid of the advanced tutorials sub part and come back to the unitial display

What do you think? Going in the good way?
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Some details on how to interact with the DPS - I'm making some progress in memory configuration management (this is implemented optionally because it's pretty easy to make a mistake - if the simplified option is chosen, this will 'just work' when an OPS transition is made and SM and BFS will just be there).

So, here we go, DPS config to OPS 2. It's not all completely like in reality yet, but fairly close.

We're going to make heavy use of SPEC 6 (to see what the current config is) and SPEC 0 (to make any changes).

We are in OPS 1, MM 106, post-insertion. The first step is to create a freeze-dried copy of OPS 2 software in GPC 3 in case of mass memory failure later. To do that, we first take GPC 3 out of the redundant set.

Currently, GPC 3 commands string 3, so we change that. On SPEC 0, we select config G1 via
ITEM 1+1 EXEC
and then
ITEM 14 + 2 EXEC
to hand string 3 to GPC 2. To apply this, we need to recall current major mode via
OPS 106 PRO

The reward - the string got transferred as seen on SPEC 6.

Next we take GPC 3 out of the redundant set my moding it to HALT and then back to RUN. GPC 3 (currently commanding IDP 3) comes back up in OPS 0.

The devil is in the detail - while we have OPS 0 on the left (i.e. the GPC is in root mode and not computing GNC), on the right the same page is SPEC 0 of OPS 1 MM 106 (i.e. the GPC is doing GNC and presenting a utility page).

We proceed to directly load G2 on GPC 3 by typing into the left display

ITEM 46 + 3 EXEC
ITEM 45 + 2 EXEC
ITEM 47 EXEC

This loads the software into memory, but doesn't actually run it yet (we'd need to do the OPS transition to do that) - so GPC 3 can now show a different memory config.

Since the GPC is to be freeze-dried, we mode the GPC to HALT and assign IDP 3 to GPC 2 via

GPC/CRT 23 EXEC

to get rid of the polling errror. Next we start to bring up SPEC 0 again

and edit G2 via

ITEM 1 + 2 EXEC

and distribute all strings and buses equally among GPC 1 and 2 - which are (as listed under items 2-6) the only GPCs which are to participate in the transition.

OPS 201 PRO now rewards us with this:

Note how the command kicked GPC 4 out of the redundant set since it was running GNC, but not targeted to receive G2 software. We now want to load SM software there.

The first step is to let it command IDP 3 via

GPC/CRT 43 EXEC

then we get access to its OPS 0 page. Here we select the S2 config to edit via

ITEM 1 + 4

and review bus assignments.

Once done, the major function switch for IDP 3 needs to go into SM position (this will tell the system software to load SM next), then we type

OPS 201 PRO

and are rewarded with the antenna management display coming up.

Last step is to secure and freeze-dry BFS, so we bring up BFS on IDP 1

(this comes up in the wrong display since I haven't done the BFS root display yet...) - we take it down by

OPS 000 PRO

and then mode GPC 5 also to HALT - and here we are - two GPCs sent to sleep, two running GNC, one running SM, ready for orbital ops.

Needless to say, the whole thing isn't for the faint of heart, since it requires a good understanding of what all the commands and switches do - GPC/CRT is used frequently, and understanding what commands what at the moment is a must.

Yet, this is pretty much how the original procedure works. Makes you wonder how the Shuttle never had a serious problem because someone messed up interacting with the DPS. As far as interfaces go, that thing is a nightmare...
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:07 pm

That looks awsome wow, great work
My prefered part, DPS in deep.
We can freeze dried, yessss xD

Almost everything covered for post insertion and pre deorbit insertion Check list

Just one or two things

FF and FA repartition looks very good
PL Bus 1 and 2 should be run only by GPC 4 with MC4 config for SM management( I see it still on GPC 2 on the last screen)
Same for the Launch Data Bus one for on orbit RMS control, just on GPC4 and same for CRT4

Just to finish the nitpicking, on Spec 0 screen with MC 2, CRT 3 and 4 should have a 0 right of them ( and not GPC 1 and 2)
Which means that if CRT 3 is on (normally off on orbit) or CRT 4 runs with major function GNC, the lowest number available GPC in the common set will run them, ie. GPC 1 in our case. (it's like a convention)

For example now, if during OPS 1 we switch to SM function ( no GPC running SM in the Common set in MC1) will it display just the system software OPS 0 without app soft instead of polling error?

But congratulations Thorsten, you are reaching an impressive realism here, where will you stop? ahah
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm

PL Bus 1 and 2 should be run only by GPC 4 with MC4 config for SM management( I see it still on GPC 2 on the last screen)

My mistake I think. You can edit the config any way you like - the system is sound, I messed this up when writing the config table in-sim. Well, data buses aren't yet simulated, so it doesn't do anything. Yet.

Just to finish the nitpicking, on Spec 0 screen with MC 2, CRT 3 and 4 should have a 0 right of them ( and not GPC 1 and 2)

CRT management is still... tricky. I have to work on SM not overwriting GNC

For example now, if during OPS 1 we switch to SM function ( no GPC running SM in the Common set in MC1) will it display just the system software OPS 0 without app soft instead of polling error?

No - you'll have to put up with the polling errors for the time being, I can't seem to find a reasonable way to display systems software without creating another HUGE conditional branch or messing up GNC in a bad way.

What do you think? Going in the good way?

Yeah, looking all good to me. I agree with the idea of not over-burdening a new user with all details and keeping the detailed tutorials to their own space.

But I guess ultimately you need feedback from other users what they can do with it - I kind of know the procedures, so it's all clear to me what you are trying to explain 8)
Thorsten

Postby Octal450 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Fantastic work Thorsten!

The shuttle is in my opinion the best "aircraft" in FGFS.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby GinGin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 pm

CRT management is still... tricky. I have to work on SM not overwriting GNC

Ok, no problems, It's really small stuff here

No - you'll have to put up with the polling errors for the time being

Should live with that ahah, no worries.

Ok, some more work today on the Wiki
Mainly reorganisation of Launch and Orbit Operations with Fresh new screens and detailled Screens annotated.

Everything in the In game Checks are covered, and I put some links to more hardcore procedure with real Checks once basics ( with Shuttle even basics are tough :) ) are assimilated

I kept all your very good explanations and added some more to be up to date with last changes.

New Menu

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Space_Shuttle#Mission_phases

Here the Launch

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Flying_the_Shuttle_-_Launch

And Orbit OPS up to Prox OPS

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Flying_the_Shuttle_-_Orbital_Operations

Next week gonna be the turn to Entry and Landing, Then back to Abort tuto :)

And Tomorrow, I freeze dried a GPC ahah

Good night Over Asia :)

GinGin

Postby GinGin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 pm

I tested in depth the DPS system, really impressive.

I made some screens of the procedure during Post insertion of how the transition from OPS 1 to OPS 2 and GPC re configuration was done following real Checks.
I will add it on the Wiki for Post Insertion Tuto

A good introduction book for those who want to appreciate the work made on DPS

Nasa Workbook DPS Overview
https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0ahUKEwiI0PbHgenWAhWBIcAKHbXoCecQFgg8MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.nasaspaceflight.com%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D17437.0%3Battach%3D143306&usg=AOvVaw10GSCKIigUK4q3hKjETmyA

We are in Orbit, OMS burn completed, Cockpit reconfigurated, next step Post Insertion Items

It begins with GPC re configuration and OPS 2 transition
Here are a resume of what we want to achieve

GPC 1 and 2 will contain OPS 2 Guidance, Navigation and Control software (GNC)
GPC 3 will be put in Halt mode ( sleep). He will be freeze dried, which means that before going to sleep, a copy of the OPS 2 software will be loaded into the GPC in case of major failure of the others. Very deep level of redundancy here.
GPC 4 will receive the System Management ( SM) OPS 2 software and will be switch in Terminate mode ( it will not communicate on Flight Critical buses anymore unlike GPC 1 and 2).
GPC 5 that contains BFS software will be put in Halt mode, as no orbit software is contained in Back Up Software and Computer.

We want first to Freeze dried the GPC 3.To do so, we need to be in OPS 0 ( System Application only)
Problem is: It is still in the common set, and if we switch to OPS 0 in GPC3, the GPC 1,2 and 4 will be moved to OPS 0 also
So we need to switch off the communications between GPC 3 and the differents buses linked to him ( Flight criticals -FF-, and the one from central IDP/CRT )

For that, SPEC 0 PRO to acceed to the GPC Memory re configuration screen

Then, we reconfigure the OPS 1 Memory configuration (MC G1) to have the GPC 3 out of the loop

We switch of the Back Up Flight Computer (BFC) which was displayed on CRT 3

Now, time to see the changes made to the MC1.
Every time we change something in the Nominal Bus Assignement Table (NBAT) through Spec 0, we need to do an OPS Transition or an OPS recall to see the changes applied (Which can be seen in SPEC 6 PRO)

We are in OPS 106, let's do an OPS recall which consist in calling back the same OPS than where we are
So OPS 106 PRO
We can see the changes, GPC 3 is not emitting on any buses, good job

So we can now proceed to the freeze dried.
In the checks, the GPC to be freeze dried is written like that G2FD By convention, it was always the number 3. But it can be an other one in case of failure.

To put it in OPS 0, we switch to Halt (stby in the checks) then back to Run

We want to display the GPC 3 somewhere (no CRT is polling it anymore), let's say on CRT 1
For that, magic button is GPC/CRT key.
GPC/CRT 31 EXEC will display the GPC 3 on CRT 1 with OPS0 program

We will load OPS 2 program (MC2) into it now
ITEM 45+2 EXEC
ITEM46+3 EXEC

And to store it, ITEM 47 EXEC MC=G2 will appear once stored

GPC3 is now freeze dried, let's put it in Halt for good

And the results of the Freeze Dried via Spec 6
GPC 3 is in Halt mode, with OPS 2 software loaded, and it is not emitting on nay buses. Job done.

Now, we will transition GPC 1 and 2 towards the Guidance and Navigation (GNC) OPS 2 Software
Same as before, SPEC 0 EXEC on CRT 1 and we check that the NBAT is correct

Then we can transition towards OPS 2 with OPS 201 PRO
We can verify that we are well in OPS 2 and UNIV PTG soft.

Next Step in the checks is to activate some Payload Bus on the electrical panel

Almost there, we need now to configure the GPC 4 to run the System Management (SM) software in OPS 2
If not, we will not have access to various monitoring pages concerning all the Orbiter parameters

For that, choose a CRT where to display the GPC 4
I choosed the CRT1
Like before with the GPC 3, we do GPC/CRT 41 EXEC

Then we reconfigure the NBAT
GPC 4 will not emit on Flight Criticals Buses ( FF), it will not have a role in Guidance and Navigation, not part of the Redundant set composed of GPC 1 and 2
It will emit only on Payload buses ( monitoring parameters like fuel cells, OMS, etc), CRT ( to display what it wants to show us), Launch Data buses ( to control the RMS) and Mass Memory ( to download the SM OPS 2 software)

Finally, verify you are in SM major function on the CRT you are working on ( 1 here) and transition to SM OPS 2 via OPS 201 PRO
Verify Antenna program

Almost there, BFS needs to be secure now
Display it via the switch we saw before on the pedestal (C3), you should see the BFS on CRT 3
Then load it with OPS 0 PRO
Unlike the GPC 3 , is not part of Redundant set and Common set, so no risk of switching the others GPC in OPS 0 also

And switch off again the BFS CRT switch.

You might have a poll error when you switch it off
In that case, no worries, just do an OPS 2 recall on CRT 1 OPS 201 PRO to reload the correct NBAT, and GPC 2 should be polling again the CRT 3

Now, we gonna secure and switch off the CRT 3 not used in Obit
GPC/CRT 03 EXEC to deasign any GPC of CRT 3 and turned it off

Let's check that the CRT 4 is turned on, with the Major Funtion in SM
By convention also, this CRT is the prefered one in Orbit to access to the SM

And final step now, GPC 5 ( BFS) will be put in Halt mode and GPC 4 ( SM) will be put in Terminate Output
Terminate means it can't emit on Flight Critical Buses ( just a precaution I guess because in the NBAT, it wasn't assign on any FF)

Here are, fully configured ( DPS wise) for Orbit OPS

GPC 1 and 2 for Guidance and Navigation
GPC 3 FD
GPC 4 for System Management
GPC 5 Halt

And CRT 3 turned Off

All of that is sum up on Spec 6 page ( PL 1/2 and L1 should have a Star in GPC 4 column like we had before, but it dissepaers some times)
Well done Thorsten, Fantastic Work

@Thorsten: Some feedbacks

Very nice separation between PASS and BFS
When I load an OPS in PASS, it doesn't change the main OPS in the BFS
PASS in MM106 and BFS still in MM104

Minor bugs I experience:

Edit switching from GNC toSM works, my mistake

When CRT 3 is displaying BFS and transition to OPS 0 and CRT BFS turned off
CRT 3 is polled again by GPC 3 which is in halt, so polling error
But OPS recall reset the correct NBAT

So really minor stuff compared to what you accomplished. Melting PASS, BFS and differents Major Function with almost no Bug is impressive
Very Stable

It's not all completely like in reality yet, but fairly close.

Well, I followed the FDF by the book, and it was closed at 98 % :)
Last edited by GinGin on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Minor Bugs

You do realize that I'm still hunting them (and just eliminated two today)? There's a lot of stray calls which alter the assignment which I have to track down one by one, going through some (hopefully legal) reconfiguration procedures.

I haven't touched detailed interaction with BFS at all, so right now you can probably get all sorts of funny things if you mess with the BFS GPC in any way - except to take it to standby and back.

Also, there's very little done in terms of catching errors - I've just this afternoon started on a check to reject any NBAT which runs SM not as a simplex for instance, but there's a couple of other situations as well which should be rejected.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight