Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A new CH-53E super stallion

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

A new CH-53E super stallion

Postby NightWing » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:16 am

Hi,

This is my last contribution for FlightGear as a developper. From now I decided to go back to a simple user.

I just wanted to revive and to make a flyable ch53e helicopter for FG. I do not say it is perfect. It took me a lot of time to build this 3d model, to texture it. and to test everything.

From now, this aircraft is the property of FlightGear community: Every developper has endless permission to make further enhancements on it, or to convert it to any ch53 helicopter variant using his own skills.

Credits:
_All panels, instruments and some ".xml" files are from the original ch53e by Josh Babcock. The FDM is also based on his one's.
_All textures have been made with GIMP, and not a single pixel comes from elswhere.

Please just give it a test and if you get bored with it, feel free to delete it from your aircraft folder or throw it away. The moderator also can delete this post if he judges it useless.
The link is here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!T9UFVICI!U5MxR88fL ... s2vHdBG2bo

Cheers.
NightWing

Re: A new CH-53E super stallion

Postby Müller » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 am

Hi NIghtWing,
Thanks, very good work :)
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 am

Great Job NightWing

And thanks for the GPL release of a newly improved aircraft :D

In just 1 weekend 2 planes by J. Babcock underwent an all needed update after several years (7-10) [This includes the B-29].

I had make your work a tagged release of the ch53e for distribution on FGMEMBERS

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/ch53e:
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/ch53e/releases
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/ch53e/rele ... /v20150315

IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby firefly » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Hey this is awesome! It looks great!
firefly

Callsign: Firefly
Version: 3+

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Finally a CH-53. Look's great! :D
Fly's great too!
Last edited by MountainFlyerN22 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby themadgreek » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Looks amazing! Well done :)
themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:19 am

NightWing's CH-53E now merged into FGAddon/ch53e.

* Updated sounds
* Added walker support
* ALS model interior (shadows, panel backlighting) added
* Rembrandt fixes
Richard

Version: Git

Postby abassign » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 am

Beautiful, are ecstatic! :)

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:32 am

is it flyable? i haven't found out how to turn it on and spin it up... CTRL-C turns on some yellow click hilites but several of them just disappear when clicked (switches overhead, two yellow boxes on right window)... never flown a helicopter before ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:51 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:32 am:is it flyable? i haven't found out how to turn it on and spin it up... CTRL-C turns on some yellow click hilites but several of them just disappear when clicked (switches overhead, two yellow boxes on right window)... never flown a helicopter before ;)

The panel rotations seem to have got broken along the way which is why the switches disappear. This will be fixed.

To start it, as I think with most (YASim) helicopters just press } and wait until the rpm gauges are at 100%. Please remember that what is normally a throttle control acts as what the helicoptering folk refer to as collective and the way this works means that effectively the control is inverted; so push the throttle to what would normally be maximum for minimum collective which is what you need to start. If you have the throttle at minimum it is maximum and as soon as the blades are spinning bad things will happen. I know this seems strange, but then that's the nature of helicoptering.
Richard

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:03 am

i've not flown any YASim craft before... well, maybe once one of the planes but (SR71??) but only long enough to get it up into the air from KSFO and hit 50000 altitude... i'll give it a try... not expecting much as i've only keyboard and mouse right now :lol:

FWIW: i updated the wiki page by adding an image of the craft sitting on the runway at KJFK... if i can get it into the air, i'll try to take another one or two ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby redtwo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 am

Thanks for such a great heli NightWing.

I've made a few additions and fixes Id like to make available to everyone. I'm not a FG aircraft dev so I guess i might be registering so i can commit my changes.

* added general cargo capacity of 32,000lbs max. and winch/hoist 600 lbs max. to the Fuel and Payload dialog.
* updated the FDM tail rotor diameter to 20ft from 16ft. AFAIK this would be more correct for the CH53E (made flying with the heavier loads possible).
* fixed the replays/recorder animations. Main and tail rotors animate properly now and so does the rotor and tail folding on replay.

Thanks!
redtwo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 am

Richard:
MEMBERS will be updated.

Redtwo, I invite you to register not only at FGADDON as someone will no doubt help you with, but at http://www.github.com/FGMEMBERS/ch53e
Just note that this is much easier (to me) to use -- see FGMEMBERS on FlightGear wiki.
But, for support, on some aircraft, you must go to thejabberwocky.net since FGMEMBERS is a seperate movement and eg Thorsten refuses to provide support for the forked SPACESHUTTLE in MEMBERS (quite rightly since he had to spen 15 minutes to try and find a bug nto existent in FGADDON.). So, be aware of the disadvantages and see the advantages. Other disadvantages include dislike from the core development group. However, it is simply easier to use.
Freedom of choice is ensured!
While IAHM-COL had a rather nasty habit of grabbing, I do try to ask, except in cases where the same author already has work in MEMBERS.

Please note that since apparently it will be in FGADDON, it will be autosynced with MEMBERS via an automatic job every Thursday.
If it goes into ADDON it will be automatically synced, but if it goes into both ADDON AND MEMBERS, a sync will not be needed to be waited for, and you can do your development on git and then provide updates to go into ADDON.
;)
Nice job!
Last edited by legoboyvdlp on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 am

redtwo wrote in Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 am:I'm not a FG aircraft dev...

I guess you are now. At least you did some development on it... :wink: :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 am

redtwo wrote in Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 am:Thanks for such a great heli NightWing.

I've made a few additions and fixes Id like to make available to everyone. I'm not a FG aircraft dev so I guess i might be registering so i can commit my changes.

* added general cargo capacity of 32,000lbs max. and winch/hoist 600 lbs max. to the Fuel and Payload dialog.
* updated the FDM tail rotor diameter to 20ft from 16ft. AFAIK this would be more correct for the CH53E (made flying with the heavier loads possible).
* fixed the replays/recorder animations. Main and tail rotors animate properly now and so does the rotor and tail folding on replay.

@redtwo ; thanks for making these fixes. This is how FG aircraft development works. See http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Aircraft_development as you have now become an FG aircraft dev;

To make changes to FGAddon you just need a sourceforge.net user name, TortoiseSVN (or some other SVN client). If you need assistance doing this, PM me or email to rjh@zaretto.com (you can email me patches and or a zip of the entire directory) and then you can commit your changes directly. If you need help using SVN email me.

I'd like to include your changes - can you send me a patch for FGAddon. If you don't know how to make a patch then you can send the individual files you've changed, or the entire archive and I'll merge it. (e.g. post a link to a file on dropbox, onedrive, or any other place you can save them).
Richard

Next

Return to Aircraft