Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Boeing 727 development (was "THE FLIGHTGEAR AIRCRAFT")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

What would you like to enhance on the Boeing 727?

Exterior
15%
Interior (not Cockpit)
9%
Cockpit
40%
Systems
21%
FDM
16%

Total votes : 167

Re: THE FLIGHTGEAR AIRCRAFT

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:38 pm

What about the Dassault Falcon?
If you need someone for JSB or an autopilot, call me ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby EDNY_TW » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:22 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:38 pm:What about the Dassault Falcon?

Yes, what is about it?
Flying dreams come true - EchoAir
Visit us! http://echoairgroup.yolasite.com
EDNY_TW

Postby Sebulba » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:39 am

What is the point of creating new models when we have so many half-finished? What needs to be done is to motivate developers to work on what we already have!
Sebulba

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Well. The current lead is B727, which is a model to be improved, not created. So.. Meanwhile, so knows?
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:31 pm

I vote 727 is improved akin to the Seattle 777 with completely new 3d modelling and systems. By the way, isnt it a glass cockpit in fg? Get it out of there, assuming it wins. How about 707 style engineer panels? And more liveries?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 am

Do we have a winner? or How long is this pull running for?

IHCOL

If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby EDNY_TW » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Okay, I think the poll has been running for enough time. And the winner is........... BOEING!
So, as Boeing has only one trijet (please correct me if Im wrong), the 727, we will enhance the 727. Could the original developer of the 727 maybe leave a post here?
And the next poll will be.... What would you like to enhance on the 727?
Flying dreams come true - EchoAir
Visit us! http://echoairgroup.yolasite.com
EDNY_TW

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Nice :)

(secret: Not the one I voted for last, but definitely my second favorite!)

Now

Edny, we don't need "permission" to modify GPL if we dont switch GPL and if we respect patternity

Hopefully original author - authors jump on board and help us: For the good of the community, off course

But in other point, I was the last making a few modifications to it, but we can basically re-work the whole thing

I am willing to jump in and help the group with my little skils:

1) xml standardization
2) 3d modelling: A little
3) Texturizing: A little

I have no idea of systems (like FDM and alike)

Here we have a fork of the FGMEMBERs 727 that we can use as our deposit of development. (similar as the c172p-detailed)

https://github.com/IAHM-COL/727-230

Any one that wants to work in this fork, send me a PM with your github account, and I will add you as a collaborator to my fork, as well :D
So you get writing access, and join the team :D

One of the important things of working in that repo I offered, is that it contains all previous history: meaning we recognize all previous authors for their work (in our commit log --and off course when we list authors we will take it into account)

I will probably enroll myself in the 727 tribute again, and fly it once we develop it

Go ! The Flightgear Aircraft

(and thanks EDNY for this great idea!)

Best,
IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Well, now it gets embarrassing ... normally I'm good with systems, but as of yet, I was too stupid to get the 727 off the ground which wouldn't bode well for me doing systems on her. So ... maybe I take some flight time with her first ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi all,

IAHM-COL told me about this project of enhancing the 727. I am involved in some other projects, but I'd be glad to help with what I can. Currently I am mainly working with the c172p-detailed, doing the textures and also dealing with bug reports on GitHub (which by the way is great for this type of project, our 172 project developed quite fast once we started using git!). So let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:09 am

Great !
For starters :
I added JWOCKY and gsagostinho as collaborators in the 727-230 repo (IAHM-COLs fork)

I will be looking forward for EDNY to tell us if we will be having a road-map :D

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:16 am

I had a quick look on the repository and one thing I would suggest to reorganize the liveries textures which are currently in the folder /Models. I find it better to keep only the common textures (e.g. chrome.png) in that folder, and the livery-specific ones I prefer to keep inside individual folders such as /Models/Liveries/DHL. If you'd like, I can reorganize that folder myself.

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 am

sure. That sounds great to me :D

You should have repo write access now

About the livery system. I think I want us to consider remapping the whole aircraft.

If you see the liveries, the tail textures are separated from the frame,
The body is split in half, which makes texturizing the fuselage much harder.

The texture resolution is at 248x2048 which I think is good thou.

There are some parts of the body un-texturizable with the livery, which is something else needed to be done.

I remember Michat mentioning a problem with the flaps, which I never understood, but some body work may need to be redone too

That's what I am anxious to hear from EDNY for a "road map" :D
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 am

Some of the work ahead of us:

The Engineer's panel: :O

And quite some busy of a cockpit

IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 am:sure. That sounds great to me :D

Ok, I will do it now.

About the livery system. I think I want us to consider remapping the whole aircraft. If you see the liveries, the tail textures are separated from the frame, The body is split in half, which makes texturizing the fuselage much harder. [...] There are some parts of the body un-texturizable with the livery, which is something else needed to be done.

Ok, that all sounds good, but this has to be done together with the 3D modeller. Do you already have someone for that?

And one last comment: probably it would be better to rename this thread, remove the poll and edit the first comment to tell people what is going on. In that comment, adding a picture of the plane and the link to the repository would also be good.

Cheers!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft