Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cockpit textures for the c172p

Postby thevirtualfer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:34 am

wlbragg wrote in Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 am:I took the liberty of creating the aircraft shadow (ALS style)

Hey dude.
I realize tha all of you are magicians.

As i am a dumb about "how it works", i will wait ludomotico to apply these changes.
thevirtualfer

Location: Benevides-PA Brazil (Benevides is inside Amazon Forest)

Postby thevirtualfer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:57 am

@ludo

My boss !

Just a log report :

- Figured why the nav light was not centered. The vstab and rudder of the original model isn't simetrical. Weird. Can't find a good explanation about it. But i moved some verts, and now both are perfectly simetrical ;

- Closed some faces (back of the wing, front of flaps, top of rudder, and so on). Maybe some others need to be closed. If anybody see one, please, tell me. And ludo, i don't know if closing these faces is a good thing. Please, tell me.

- I had put three "bars" between wings and flaps. So flaps does not float when down ;

- The dirty on the windows did not work as i imagined. So, i changed my mind. But had put some condensation there ;

- The seats are textured and a bit rounded. But i really need to waste some time there, to reduce vert count, to make the legs, etc. For now, we will stay with this temporary version ;

- Applied the vac made by gsagostino ;

- Some other minor changes, like the strobe thing, etc...

All the changes are on https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Guys.

The last time i put my hands on a "windows", was when XP was launched. Using Linux since there. Then, i don't know if the zip file generated on linux is "windows" compatible.

If not, i can post file by file, umcompressed.

PS :

@ludomotico and all of you :

Please, SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL FILES before testing. Remember Murphy law.

Cheers.
Last edited by thevirtualfer on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thevirtualfer

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 am

thevirtualfer wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:57 am:- Figured why the nav light was not centered. The vstab and rudder of the original model isn't simetrical. Weird. Can't find a good explanation about it. But i moved some verts, and now both are perfectly simetrical ;

- Closed some faces (back of the wing, front of flaps, top of rudder, and so on). Maybe some others need to be closed. If anybody see one, please, tell me. And ludo, i don't know if closing these faces is a good thing. Please, tell me.

I'm not 100% sure about the C172, but many propeller aircraft indeed do have an asymmetrical vertical stabilizer. The purpose of this is to counteract some of the so called propeller effects.

If I am not mistaken a clockwise spinning propeller would cause a slight yaw to the left. That could to some degree be counteracted by having the vertical stabilizer pointed slightly to the left. Most probably this would be optimized for cruise airspeed and power setting.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wlbragg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 am

There is more fine tuning of the shadow needed.

In order to allow for the shadow use with either ALS or a non ALS configuration we need to add the following offset back into
Aircraft/c172p/Models/Effects/shadow.xml
Code: Select all
<offsets>
   <z-m>1.85</z-m>
</offsets>

Also in Aircraft/c172p/Models/Effects/shadow.xml un-comment the translation and add the condition to watch for ALS.
<!--Translate to ground level  -->
  <animation>
   <type>translate</type>
   <object-name>shadow</object-name>
   <condition>
    <equals>
      <property>/sim/rendering/shaders/skydome</property>
      <value>false</value>
    </equals>
    </condition>
   <property>/position/altitude-agl-ft</property>
   <factor>-0.3048</factor>
   <center>
     <x-m>0</x-m>
     <y-m>0</y-m>
     <z-m>0</z-m>
   </center>
   <axis>
     <x>0</x>
     <y>0</y>
     <z>1</z>
   </axis>
 </animation>

And finally, change the reference in
Aircraft/c172p/Systems/gearAGL.xml to
<reference>4</reference>

I hope that's it, for now at least.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby thevirtualfer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 pm

A COFFEE BREAK
(or, "to the artist out there")

This is a "livering tutorial". I was trying to follow the TODO list posted by ludomotico, but i can't because it will affect the livering. I am covering the needed info to do a good cessna wing.

The tut : http://s5.postimg.org/irdpnkchz/tut1.jpg (*** It is a big picture. I will learn howto make a text version for it.)

The UV map : http://s5.postimg.org/m9ppjyddz/uv_all.png

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Fixed some angles and transparency on the seats.

changes : https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL FILES, please.

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 am

@thevirtualfer

Thank you so much for the "livering tutorial", that's absolutely great! As for the picture showing some condensation, I can't zoom in on it: if I click on it, I am taken to postimage.org's main page instead of the picture itself. It's a pity since I can't see the condensation very well in the small resolution.

Take care!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:23 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 am:As for the picture showing some condensation, I can't zoom in on it

Hi, man !

Why you don't download the files and see it in "live" ?

Are you using linux ?

I don't undestand well what FGRun is exactly. What i made was :

- Downloaded the zip file

- Extracted the files into the Aircracft/c172p directory, and each one into the corresponding folder, as shown into the zip file. It doesn't hurt any original c172 file. Only the vac.ac (so, you can save your original vac.ac before extract).

- Then, i created a simbolic link into the Aircraft folder :

# ln -s c172p c172p-detailed

- Finally, i started fg using the new aircraft

$ fgfs --aircraft=c172p-detailed --enable-rembradt

My plan was to put some dirty. But it did not work as i expected. The condensation is just a semi-transparency. It is not a detailed thing.

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby ludomotico » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:31 pm

FGRun is a graphical launcher for FlightGear. This way, you don't need using the command line :) I'm sure you have FGRun in your Linux distribution or you can download and build it yourself. It is much, much easier to configure FligthGear this way: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Launch_Control

By the way, you don't need that symbolic link. It is useless and it will probably create duplicated entries in the "available aircraft" database. The --aircraft option looks for *-set.xml files in any directory. If you use "--aircraft=c172p-detailed", then FligthGear looks for a "c172p-detailed-set.xml" file within ALL Aircraft directories. The name of the directory where this file is located is unimportant. You don't need the symlink!
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Johan G wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 am:many propeller aircraft indeed do have an asymmetrical vertical stabilizer.

Hi, Johan.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. I am saying that the model itself is not symmetrical, having one of this side curved and the other flat. Maybe it is proposital. As i said before, i am not an pilot, nor an expert about airplanes.

Original Model

But i guess that the peace itself, is manufactured symmetrically, to be of most general use as possible. The asymmetry being achieved on the assembly phase. Can you post some valid reference to elucidate this ?

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 pm

thevirtualfer wrote in Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:23 pm:Why you don't download the files and see it in "live" ? Are you using linux ?

Yeah, sorry, I just been really busy during these last weeks and I still didn't try it live (I haven't used FG in ages to be honest... a pity, really). I am on Linux as well, but I have to run FG on Windows because of some problems with my graphic cards and Linux (long story, don't even ask...)

But I will do that as soon as I can and see it "live"! :)

Thanks a lot and take care (and let me know if you need any other textures for the panel, instruments, etc.)
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby Avionyx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a full version of the C-172P with the detailed version in a single archive?
Installing it over the top of the current one isn't getting me anywhere and would love to get involved in this. Hoping to spend a large portion of this summer flying a 172 so want to get some sim practice in without incurring those flying club fees ;)
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: GIT

Postby ludomotico » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Tonight I'll gather all the modifications (thevirtualfer has not included wlbragg's shadows) and create a git or subversion repository. I prefer git because we will be the administrators, but I think subversion is the preferred way to develop aircrafts now :)
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks ludomotico. I installed fgrun and removed the symlink.

And glad by you incorporating all the changes.

I don't know how to use none of these (subversion or git).

But i can learn, if necessary.

@Avionyx
Hi, guy !

Just copy the files to the corresponding place.

How you start flightgear ? fgrun or fgfs command line ?
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:33 pm

@wlbragg.

Don't know if it is a dumb question.

But why the grass and trees in your pics are so cute ?
thevirtualfer

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft