Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm

What???

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:33 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm:What???

Tired plane is tired.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:39 pm

I thought that was the funniest timing. I've successfully executed an emergency landing, all stop, then it decides to break. I thought the shader cars crashing into me was appropriate. We'll blame it on them! :lol:
wlbragg

Postby bboett » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:53 pm

Hello!
sorry for the noob question..... i am having issues with the cessna model fg3.5 downloaded when running with fg4.0, i was told to use the git version...

i downloaded it (cloned it)
and put it into
~/flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft
then
~/.fgfs-git/Aircraft
and finally into
~/.fgfs-git/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.trunk/Aircraft
but i get the same error message as before....
so where and how do i install the plane?

ciao
bboett
bboett

Callsign: F-bboett
Version: 2020.3.13

Postby MariuszXC » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:28 pm

First: what is fg3.5 and fg4.0?? Current stable is version 2020.3.13 and current next (development) is 2020.4.

Second, usual advice is to NOT modify anything in flightgear/fgdata and its sub folders.
Create a directory for airctaft you download anywhere you like and let FG know about this directory, either in launcher, or by command line option --fg-aircraft=/your/path/to/Aircraft
and place planes you download in individual sub folders in Aircraft.

For example, on my system it is:
/opt/myHangar/Aircraft/
which then contains
ASK21
c182s
c172p
c210-family
and so on. You can probably guess which aircraft lives where :)

One common failure point is not paying attention to upper/lower case in directory names. Case does matter in Linux.

Other common problem is forgetting to rename directories. When you download a zipped aircraft manually, you might get something like:
flightgear-fgaddon-r6091-trunk-Aircraft-HU-16A-Albatross
You need to rename it to HU-16A-Albatross

Similarly, when downloading from GitHub, you will get:
737-800YV-master
You need to rename the directory to 737-800YV (i.e. remove the -master part).
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby dany93 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:45 pm

Hello bboett,

Did you check that it is complete, with the usual files and directories?
bboett wrote:put it into

I guess (hope) this is not your FG git compilation directory.
The aircraft directory name should be "c172p" (with no quotes). Not more

It should work, provided that you give (add) the path to the Launcher or in a command line.
If you use the Launcher, your path should be given in the Additional Aircraft directory input window.
Something like
Code: Select all
/home/username/flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft/c172p

Which message?

so where and how do i install the plane?

Almost anywhere at your choice, provided that you give the path to the launcher or in a command line.
It can be
/home/username/FG/Added-Aircraft
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby bboett » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:52 pm

Hello!

ok, first of all the ~/flightgear is the dir for additional plane stuff setting,
the stable version i use: 2020.3.13
nightly build: 2020.4.0

dany93 wrote in Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:45 pm:Did you check that it is complete, with the usual files and directories?
bboett wrote:put it into

I guess (hope) this is not your FG git compilation directory.
The aircraft directory name should be "c172p" (with no quotes). Not more

no as said its the additional plane dir, where downloaded planes are stored, and there i have now a c172p.org and the c172p cloned from the github, and they look the same with ls, so i suppose all files are in it?

Which message?

ok, reading the message showed that it was still taking the plane in
~/flightgear/fgdata-git/Aircraft
so i replaced the directory there with the git version, and that worked....

Almost anywhere at your choice, provided that you give the path to the launcher or in a command line.
It can be
/home/username/FG/Added-Aircraft

ok :D but that didn't seem to work, since there were several instances of possible c172p..... anyway, its working now (even if solved with an axe....) but in such a case, how do you solve which same named plane is taken?

ciao
bboett
bboett

Callsign: F-bboett
Version: 2020.3.13

Postby MariuszXC » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:36 pm

bboett wrote in Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:52 pm:how do you solve which same named plane is taken?

This is solved by FG, by directory search order. First found AC with a requested name will be used.
If I am not mistaken, additional user-specified Aircraft directories have preference before fgdata one.
However, FG is not really designed with this scenario in mind. Standard users download aircraft from the launcher (which takes care of downloading an aircraft matched to the FG version) and will have only one aircraft with a given id. Power users, who download ACs manually are supposed to know enough to do the housekeeping themselves.

So if you want to try several versions of an aircraft with the same id (but perhaps coming from different repositories) it is your responsibility to switch directories and it may also be necessary to replace/backup aircraft's stored config file..
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby dany93 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:52 pm

bboett wrote in Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:52 pm:ok, first of all the ~/flightgear is the dir for additional plane stuff setting,

It can be correct, provided that this directory is not (or not in) your nightly build 2020.4.0 directory or your FG 2020.3 directory.
If this "dir for additional plane stuff setting" is out of any of your FG installation folders, that's correct.
If I understand well, this is the case.

We cannot give accurate responses because you are not clear.
It would be easier if you would give your full paths for every folder, down to the Aircraft folder (under FG 2020.4, under FG 2020.3, and for your additional c172p).

Normally, the "default" c172p is in <FG installation directory>/fgdata/Aircraft.
You should not replace the initial c172p by another one that you downloaded. It can work (not sure, because of the version), but it is confusing, for you and for FG. Moreover, later, if you find that the downloaded one does nor work that good, you'll have lost the initial one.

i have now a c172p.org and the c172p cloned from the github, and they look the same with ls, so i suppose all files are in it?

I've never seen a c172p.org folder.
If the content of your cloned c172p is the same as one from a FG directory that you did not change, the clone should be correct

ok, reading the message showed that it was still taking the plane in
~/flightgear/fgdata-git/Aircraft
so i replaced the directory there with the git version, and that worked....

You wrote

You did not answer about this error message.
And because I'm not sure of what this ~/flightgear/fgdata-git/Aircraft folder is, I cannot say if this is correct or not.
It seems different and out of your FG directories, which would be correct. You seem to have put the aircraft directory in the correct folder. The problem for the future is that you have not understood why.
By reading our explanations, you should be able to get the response.

ok :D but that didn't seem to work, since there were several instances of possible c172p..... anyway, its working now (even if solved with an axe....) but in such a case, how do you solve which same named plane is taken?

In the FG Launcher, by double-clicking on the Aircraft, you can read the path at the end of the picture and text.

As I wrote above, having several instances of the same aircraft on your disk is not an issue, provided that they are in different directories (with different paths).
For the aircraft which came with FG (2020.4 or 2020.3), no problem.
For additional aircraft that you downloaded from elsewhere, they must be installed in a separate directory, not in FG 2020.3 or FG 2020.4.
And you must give the path in the Launcher.
Otherwise, the path must be given in the command line (.fgfsrc or any command line).
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby TheEagle » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:22 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:36 pm:This is solved by FG, by directory search order. First found AC with a requested name will be used.

sorry to correct you, but I have installed the Cessna 208B from FGAddon through the launcher (stored in $HOME/.fgfs-git/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.trunk/Aircraft/Cessna-208B, and I have a custom version of it in my addon aircraft folder ($HOME/fgfs-addons/Aircraft/c208-family) - in the aircraft list I now have two times the exact same Cessna 208B, except for the one from FGAddon having an uninstall button and a size in MB, and the custom one not having that ! ;)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:38 pm

I think there is no contradiction?

Yes, if you do
./run_fgfs.sh --show-aircraft
then all installed aircrafts from all directories FG knows about will be listed, including multiple copies of the same aircraft.

However, if you have, say, multiple c172p's and do
./run_fgfs.sh --aircraft=c172p
then only one of them will be used and which one depends on directory search order. I could be mistaken here though.

Oh, and what happens when one uses a launcher I have no idea, I don't use it at all on one computer, and use it very rarely on the other ;)
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 pm

The launcher handles it wonderfully.
I can have multiple aircraft in different directories and subdirectories and add them to the launchers list of addon aircraft and it gives you a choice between them all at selection time.

Typically with versions of the same aircraft I have a path structure like the following that works really well. In the case of the c172p, I believe the fgdata version always shows in the selectable aircraft last of all the duplicate c172p's that I have installed and listed. The rest appear to be sorted by order of inclusion in the addon list.

Actual locations...
/fgroot/fgdata/aircraft/c172p_set.xml
/aircraft/dev/c172p/c172p_set.xml
/aircraft/dev/c172p-git/c172p/c172p_set.xml
/aircraft/historical/c172p/c172p_set.xml

This is entered in the launcher addons section like this

drive:/aircraft/dev
drive:/aircraft/dev/c172p-git
drive:/aircraft/historical
As I said before the fgroot c172p appears last in the aircraft selection by default. It also has no update button nor appears in the browse sorting.

You can tell which is which by the order entered into the addons section or by clicking on the aircraft in the aircraft selection screen to see the details. It shows the path to the aircraft folder the .set.xml resides in.
wlbragg

Postby TheEagle » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:38 pm:Oh, and what happens when one uses a launcher I have no idea, I don't use it at all on one computer, and use it very rarely on the other ;)

Ummmmmm, yeah, if you barely ever use the launcher, that explains it - I, in fact, never started FG from the command line, to this point ! :mrgreen: In the launcher, all versions of an aircraft are shown - you can only tell which is which by clicking on it and viewing it's detailed information.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:23 am

MariuszXC wrote in Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:38 pm:However, if you have, say, multiple c172p's and do
./run_fgfs.sh --aircraft=c172p
then only one of them will be used and which one depends on directory search order. I could be mistaken here though.

right... which is why everyone should be using the launcher to at least select their craft... or at least also putting the craft's specific directory on the command line, too... but using the launcher is much easier and once set up, one only need click the "Fly!" button if they always use the same configuration...

MariuszXC wrote in Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:38 pm:Oh, and what happens when one uses a launcher I have no idea, I don't use it at all on one computer, and use it very rarely on the other ;)

on my installation(s), i have a substantial(?) set of properties i set up and feed to FG but i still use the launcher... things the launcher can handle, i let it handle... like setting the weather, selecting the airport, selecting/installing/updating the craft, enabling/disabling scenery and/or addons, etc...

FWIW: the typical command line my system uses looks like this:
/home/myuser/fg/next/run_fgfs.sh --launcher --config=/home/myuser/myflightgear/fg-common.rc --config=/home/myuser/myflightgear/fg-150km-horizon.rc --config=/home/myuser/myflightgear/fg-monitor-1080.rc

the majority of my settings are in my fg-common.rc file... these are the same for all of my setups and are mainly to ensure paths and certain options are set identically across different version installs of FG... paths like terrasync, fgaddon, my custom craft, etc... i hated, in the past, when i would update my FG and i would have to try to remember all (65 of) my base settings to redo them in the new installation... using this method keeps everything the same across multiple installations...

i have several fg-XXXkm-horizon.rc files... these are used to set the 18 "--prop" and one --visibility options of my horizon and LOD for that flight session... in the above you can see that i'm using the one that sets up for a 150km horizon... sometimes i use my 370km horizon rc file, though... at 30000 ASL, the horizon is 370km away so this one gives the most realistic view at the expense of memory consumption... i actually start FG from a script that determines if a specific fg-XXXkm-horizon.rc file exists before it generates the above long command line and starts FG while logging all console activity... so while the above code block shows what is actually sent to FG to start it, my real command line is only
$HOME/myflightgear/runfgnext 150
;)

the last rc file is to set FG to run in a borderless window on a specific 1080p monitor since i have a multi-monitor setup... this way i can still keep an eye on the system's operations on the other monitors while FG is running...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:25 am

TheEagle wrote in Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm:In the launcher, all versions of an aircraft are shown - you can only tell which is which by clicking on it and viewing it's detailed information.

ProTip: in the craft list or grid views, hover your mouse over the craft and a tool tip should pop up with the craft's path listed... at least it used to but doesn't seem to be working any more... i/we might need to prod james to put that back in as it seems to maybe have fallen off his todo list... the last conversations i can find about it are back in 2016/2017... idk, i've actually not missed it since i don't switch between various craft i have multiple installs of any more... when i was switching between multiple installs of the same craft, that tool tip was extremely handy... even if it didn't work on touch screen systems which i don't currently care about with regard to FG anyway...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft