Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cockpit textures for the c172p

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:18 am

Hello, guys.

I Sharpened the main panel, and saw that the result is not so good, in the texture that i posted.

For who wanting the "soft" version, or made some changes, here is the GIMP file to the front panel :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VHcz ... sp=sharing

And here are some notes :

http://s5.postimg.org/7ske17xs7/log4.png

CORRECTION : HERE are some notes : http://s5.postimg.org/xpinrkqtj/log4.png

Have fun !

Cheers to all !
thevirtualfer

Location: Benevides-PA Brazil (Benevides is inside Amazon Forest)

Postby Johan G » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 am

thevirtualfer wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 pm:I guess the "x y z" pos of a gauge is defined into the xml file. Is it ?

Yes, in the main model xml file or an xml file included into that file.

You most probably have gotten this by now, but just in case (and for others): :wink:

The path to the main model xml file can be found in the <Aircraft>-set.xml file, for example like below, or in the "/sim/model/path" property in the property tree.

Code: Select all
    <sim>
        <!-- ... -->
        <model>
            <path>Aircraft/A-10/Models/A-10-model.xml</path>
            <!-- ... -->
        </model>
        <!-- ... -->
    </sim>

Note that this path is what FlightGear try to load when you encounter an aircraft in multiplayer, which I recently got reminded about in several ways...
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 pm

The VAC is very strange.
The circle of the gauge is not in the center of the plane.
I done a cut and rescale.

Fixed. But the texture is very ugly. Ok, it is a 128x128 texture. But it is ugly anyway. Somebody needs to make a better one.

I will go back to the panel, move the holes to the original place. Now, i know that the problem is not in the panel, at all. Some instruments needs only a correct x,y,z pos in the xml file.
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:49 pm

@thevirtualfer,

the texture is very ugly. Ok, it is a 128x128 texture. But it is ugly anyway. Somebody needs to make a better one.

I will try to be that somebody ;) So well, I want to improve the VAC, but for some reason I can't access the file you uploaded in postimage.org to save it (when I click in the image of the gauge, it simply takes me to the main page. Could you please upload it again or send it directly to me?

And should I make a 128x128 version of it? As I wrote before, when these improvements of yours are finished, I want to try to create a panel texture myself and I hope to do it in high resolution as my computer can handle FG very well, but for the default model I guess that 128x128 should be the best, right?

Take care,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby ludomotico » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm

If I recall correctly, last time I get on a real C172 the suction gauge was similar to this example:

ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:09 pm

@ludomotico

I already saw the same one as you show above, but looking for panels online I have seen this one here more often:
http://www.aviatortrader.com/wp-content ... 674360.jpg

If we change that, we need to reprogram the gauge as well since the new rangewould be 3-7 and not 0-10.
gsagostinho

Postby ludomotico » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Reprogramming the gauge is very easy, just changing some numbers in the XML.

This is me on a C172. It is the same model that we have in FlightGear. I'm not that ugly, it is the effect of the fisheye lens!

The photo was taken two years ago, my memory is not very good and the suction gauge is not an instrument you check very often. I'm quite sure it didn't include an ampere-meter.

Just choose the model you like the most. I don't think anyone is going to complain and they are both used on a real aircraft.
ludomotico

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 pm

(1) Returned the roles to original position and deleted vertices created to avoid instruments displace.

(2) Now i know that the xml file has everything i need

(3) rescaled the VAC. If you want download, do it into Aircrafts/c172p/Instruments/vac folder, and proceed as usual (SAVE THE ORIGINAL vac.ac)

The files changed was : c172p.ac, c172p.xml, COLOR_panel.png

Moving to bolts, right panel, and then, to the walls, doors, and carpet.

Guys. I know that the "artistic result" is not so good. As i said before, it is not a job of art.
I hope you break this silence, soon.

Cheers to all.
Last edited by thevirtualfer on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Never mind.

I thinked all you are dead. HEHEHE !

@ludomotico !!!

Are you a REAL PILOT ??

Awesome.

I am just a gamer.

@What about you, @gsagostinho ?

Cheers.
Last edited by thevirtualfer on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:49 pm: but for the default model I guess that 128x128 should be the best, right?

It is the original size.

But you can do better, if you want...

Cheers.

Oh !

The link to the google drive has the modified picture. it is the vac-face2.rgb
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Busy day. Sorry.
There is no progress today.
After the dinner, i will see the mesh of the walls.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 pm

At least a start.
Until day 10, i will be very very very busy.

My current TODO list.

http://s5.postimg.org/x18ha1ps7/log5.jpg
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Delays, delays, and more delays...

This can be explained : http://s5.postimg.org/6tg6n0g5j/log5.jpg

Cheers !
thevirtualfer

Postby abassign » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:30 pm

I am very happy for your beautiful work !
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby ludomotico » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm

thevirtualfer, I really believe the C172 needs an enhancement in systems, models and textures. But keep in mind it is the default aircraft, and you cannot change a lot the default aircraft or people with low-end PCs will complain about low FPS.

This is my proposal: do not modify the default aircraft, but create a new alternate version. For example, c172p/c172-detailed-set.xml, which loads c172p/Models/c172p-detailed.xml which loads c172p/Models/c172p-detailed.ac This way, you do not modify the default files and you don't need worrying about providing a model for low-end machines with a reduced number of vertex.

This is my TODO list for this project (I'm working right now on some of these points)

- I believe the textures in your shared directory do not match the textures you are using in Blender. COLOR_interior_temp is missing, and COLOR_interior_test has a transparent background. You are UV mapping the interior to the transparent areas and I don't think this is what you intended: the interior is transparent in the version you are currently distributing. Can you check if the textures in your shared directory are correct?
- I'm creating this c172p-detailed-set.xml model as an alternate version of the default C172P. This way, we can have the default C172 and the "more detailed" C172.
- Since I'm using a different *-set.xml, I can set the default values of MASTER and ALTERNATOR to false, and MAGNETOS to OFF. This implies you cannot start the C172 just pressing S, as usual: you have to set MASTER ON, switch MAGNETOS to BOTH and then STARTER. That is to say: you have to follow a real checklist. What do you think about this change?
- Transponder! The current model doesn't include a transponder. I'm looking for a shared model compatible with OpenRadar. Maybe is the kt76a compatible with OpenRadar? According to this link, it is: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=19826 But the configuration documented in this link does not match the configuration recommended in the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Transponder And I'm not sure whether the kt76a described in the first link is the same kt76a we currently have in git.
- Liveries are not working and I'm not sure why. Probably, you renamed the exterior model. I have not checked this.
- The version currently in GIT includes support to ALS secondary lights, and your version doesn't: http://wiki.flightgear.org/ALS_technical_notes
- The order of the radio stack seems awkward to me. I'm used to the order (from top to bottom): RADIO CONTROL, COMM1, COMM2, ADF, DME, AUTOPILOT, TRANSPONDER. Currently, the ADF is between the radio control and the COMM1. This is not completely unreal, I have seen some cockpits in the internet with the ADF below the CONTROL. But I prefer COMM1 below the RADIO CONTROL, because all aircraft I've seen in real life are like this. Any opinions about this order?
- The seats are VERY low poly. They really need some round angles!
- I think the bags next to the doors are a very nice touch. A proposal for a extra nice touch: if you click on them, a window with the checklists will open!
- There is an instrument currently not modeled, but I don't know if it is interesting to you: the outside air temp gauge. It is on the top of the windshield: http://www.cruik.org/blog/ventubes/ventube-out.jpg
ludomotico

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft