Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cockpit textures for the c172p

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:15 am

@ thevirtualfer This is a really great job, it is looking very good!! Thank you so much for your efforts.

Also, it would be wonderful to have several skins for the c172p panel as you say, there are so many possibilities:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5102/5638 ... 9402_z.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cuJ9C1x7EI0/T ... 285%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 6panel.jpg

I myself tried to play around editing our c172p, but using Blender is just beyond me at this point and time. I really tried hard to get "something" done with it (and also watched a couple of tutorials), but in order to make something good I'd really need to dedicate too much time learning the program, something that I can't do right now :( So this is one more reason I am excited about the prospect of having interior skins, which should be easily edited in GIMP!

Take care,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 am

@thevirtualfer One more thing, this is a free and fast service to post images: http://postimage.org/

They are never deleted, and then you can simply share the link with us. I find it easier to use than Google Drive.
gsagostinho

Postby thevirtualfer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks @gsagostinho.

The same image now with fast access : http://s5.postimg.org/3v31o52o7/cessna_172_a.jpg

I have not much time to proceed, but will proceed anyway.

Yesterday, instead of relax flying, i lost ALL my free time painting, adjusting, etc. Hehehe ! My cessna will stay parked for a while.
thevirtualfer

Location: Benevides-PA Brazil (Benevides is inside Amazon Forest)

Postby radi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:50 am

That looks fantastic!
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby dg-505 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:37 pm

I agree to radi, really awesome!
Maybe you can write a newsletter article about it and submit the changes to FGAddon. :)
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:13 am

What an artist, that is exceptional art work.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby thevirtualfer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 pm

Hehehe !

I know there are "real" artists out there.
It is not a job of "art" but a job of making things more easy to the artists.

There are some lated news.

http://s5.postimg.org/nf9t93ft3/log1.jpg

I am flying.
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:39 pm

Fantastic, thank you SO much for your efforts, your work is looking great! Also, thanks for the GIMP file, it will make life even easier for people wanting to customize their panels! (I myself will give it a try :D). Here are some comments/questions:

- I believe the "callsign" text is meant for people making liveries to add a callsign in the panel (that is, if a livery has a callsign NZ1732, this code will appear in the panel as well automatically).
- what is the resolution of the png image of the panel + radio + base you are working with?
- will you also have another image for customizing the interior of the plane? (seats, interior walls, etc.)
- it's really important for us to find out now if there was any difference between the 3.0.0 version and the current one. This is one of the main reasons we lost that beautiful interior panel made by one contributor: the model got updated and his changes got lost... it would be heartbreaking to see that happening again. So if someone with more knowledge about this (and contribution in general) could give his two cents, it would be great!

Best,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby thevirtualfer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:42 pm

A note to the blenders.

I will post the blender file too. Maybe someone can make better faceloops, etc.
I was tempted, but assumed that the model was as it was, to reduce the vertice count. Then i made just some cuts, but changed the minimum.

Please, any of you know something about this ?
Last edited by thevirtualfer on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thevirtualfer

Postby ludomotico » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:45 pm

The callsign label is exactly what it seems: a label to remember the aircraft's callsign :) It is not defined in the model but in the .xml file, and it shouldn't be "callsign" but "EC-ICE" (my callsign!), "G-BGMP", "N6184B" or something similar. It is useful for multiplayer and it adds a bit of realism.

Since you are looking at it, there is something that bothers me in the C172 model: it lacks the MASTER and GEN switches. Switching the relevant properties in the property tree do work as expected, but for some reason these switches are not modelled and as a result you cannot follow a real checklist. They are ON by default in the C172. The job is very simple: just model these two switches (probably, copying other switches and using a reddish texture is enough) and link them to the relevant properties.

Nice work texturing the panel!
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby thevirtualfer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:52 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAHA !

@gsagostinho.

Take it easy. If the model has changed, i just will readapt things. I have a feeling about making it easy to custom.

I am using the basic size 1024 x 1024

But after done, the texts that i will post, will make easy to use a bigger one. But i think that 1024x1204 is a good size, to leave room on the graphic card.

And yes. I am working on it. A texture file for the doors, seats an walls, and another to the controls and the carpet.

About the "callsign", i did not get if it can be removed or not. It is a different peace of graphic, into the whole model.

I removed from mine, and flew. Well, the plane did not "BOOOOOM !".
But if it is crucial, i can bring it back. Just want know.
Last edited by thevirtualfer on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:56 pm

@ludomotico.

Ok. I got. Thanks.
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:15 pm

@thevirtualfer
> Take it easy. If the model has changed, i just will readapt things. I have a feeling about making it easy to custom.

But aren't you editing the model itself as well? If the current model is different than yours, it would mean that all your work on Blender or whatever 3D editing program would be lost...

And very news about the nice size for the textures and the interior texture file. Thanks a lot once again!

Take care,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby thevirtualfer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:11 pm

@gsagostinho

Well, i'm changing the model. If the original model has changed, i need to reimport and redistribute parts into layers. Then i can import my modified panel to the original model.

Ok. I think the contributors will not like the original model being modified.
Possible solutions are either incorporate my changes into the original model or make my model accessible by others, in parallel with the original one.

For example, if YOU want give a try, all that you need to do is FIRST rename the original model file. Then, copy the modified with the textures.

If not satisfied, just rename the original file again.

I will not mess with the textures already in use. But it is a future discussion.

The fact is, i will not think about this now. I will just make the mods. To anyone try and easily revert if not happy.

Sorry by my poor english. If you are brazilian like me...

Fica frio, cara. Tudo tem jeito. HAHAHAHHAHAHA !

Abraços !
thevirtualfer

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:37 pm

@thevirtualfer Eu tambem sou brasileiro sim, cara :) Mas vou continuar no ingles porque assim as outras pessoas no forum conseguem nos entender, ok? :)

So, in English. The best thing would be if you change the current model and this changes are accepted and become the "official" model, so from then on every time someone downloads FG or the c172p aircraft, they will get your model, and then any further modifications and updates by the mainteiners will be added to your model. That's the ideal situation, but if not, then indeed we can have two models, yours and the default. The drawback of this last approach is that in some years, there might be some nice modifications in the default model, and then we will have to chose between the latest updates or the pretty panel (which is the case with Horacio's work on the c172p, which he did in 2010 if I am not mistaken).

I am new to FG, so I am not really sure how is the best way to merge your modifications in the official model. Does anyone know who is the maintainer of the c172p? It would be great to contact him now in this earlier stages.

Abracao!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft