Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cockpit textures for the c172p

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:39 am

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:I believe the textures in your shared directory do not match the textures you are using in Blender. COLOR_interior_temp is missing, and COLOR_interior_test has a transparent background. You are UV mapping the interior to the transparent areas and I don't think this is what you intended: the interior is transparent in the version you are currently distributing. Can you check if the textures in your shared directory are correct?

You are right.
I don't know why, but i uploaded the "garage" version. I am using separated texture files and will merge it only in future.

I will upload the first version (Plain red to the body of the plane. Only panel modifications).

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:This is my proposal: do not modify the default aircraft, but create a new alternate version.

Ok, ludo. This is the right way to do this. Not only about the verts count (with, in fact, did not add much) but about changes in general.

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:- Liveries are not working and I'm not sure why. Probably, you renamed the exterior model. I have not checked this.

Maybe because the wrong version. I did not rename the objects inside the original model. I will check it today.

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:The version currently in GIT includes support to ALS secondary lights, and your version doesn't

I am using 3.2 for now. There is another ?

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:The order of the radio stack seems awkward to me.

It is only xml changes, i guess. As i said, i never see the interior of a cessna in real life.

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:I think the bags next to the doors are a very nice touch. A proposal for a extra nice touch: if you click on them, a window with the checklists will open!

Hey, guy !
I have no idea of how to do this. But will be really cool.

ludomotico wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm:There is an instrument currently not modeled, but I don't know if it is interesting to you

HEHEHE !
I will see that. I am just having a fun activity to avoid the stress of my current job. So, yes, it is interesting to me.

Thanks for all you are pointing, ludo.

For now, i will check the version of the c172p.ac i uploaded.

Tell me, going to an "alternate aircraft" can be done by just cloning the c172p folder ?

You know that i am not familiar with flightgear. I was just looking for something to do, when i found this thread opened by @gsagostinho.

My initial plan was only to remap the UV layout of the main panel to a proportional texture. But ended envolved with more, and more changes.

Maybe you are the guy with more knowledge and experience than me and gsagostinho.

Then, i will follow you, and all of your guidelines.

Cheers.

PS: I will check the model uploaded.
thevirtualfer

Location: Benevides-PA Brazil (Benevides is inside Amazon Forest)

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:49 am

abassign wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:30 pm:I am very happy for your beautiful work !

Thanks, abassign.

If you want give it a try, SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL FILES (c172p.xml and c172p.ac).

I hope you will fly, without a plane crash.

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:37 pm

@ludomotico.

I found the problem with the livery.

It is an issue with the import script. Appears that in the original c172p.ac file, the object fuselage_0 is grouped with another called fuselage_1. But the script (i don't know why) renamed fuselage_1 to fuselage_1.001.

I renamed fuselage_1.001 to fuselage_1, and it is ok, for now.

*** I need check if there are others issues like that, but not now.

I remember that the model i was working on, was the v3.0.

After i posted, i dowloaded the v3.2 and am working on it from that point.

Not now, but as soon i can, i will post the v3.2 with default red interior.

But about livery, you can redownload the c172p.ac file again.

Cheers.
thevirtualfer

Postby ludomotico » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 pm

The last version of the c172p is in GIT. Compared with the 3.2 version, I believe the only difference is the support for ALS secondary lights. Since you are apparently using Rembrandt, you are probably not aware of these lights ;)

The new lines are the binding for LandingLightSwitch in c172p/Models/c172p.xml: Lines 1516-1520: https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/source/ ... .xml#L1516

There are some other changes in other file: c172p/c172p-set.xml enhances the FDM, but you are not and won't touch this file.

In any case, I really think this must be a different version of the c172p aircraft. If your png and ac files are updated, during this night (i.e., about 23Z ) I will submit the new version. The idea is providing ONLY new files, without overwriting ANY of the original c172p files. The aircraft will appear as an alternate version of the c172p in FGRun or any other launcher.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby thevirtualfer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:22 am

Hey, @ludomotico.

Sorry, but i arrived in home, just now.

I give a look in the script to import/export .ac files in blender. It has a little problem with groups of objects. I corrected the script. Now i need to reimport the original v3.2 model, redistribut things into layers, etc, etc.

The livery problem is not complete solved in the model that i uploaded in this morning. But i tested the changes i made in the script, and saw that the problem is solved now.

And then, as i am using several separated texture files (to test different things), i will group some textures into one (or two) file.

I will post the changes tomorrow. Sorry, but i am really very tired, now. I need a shower and a TV to watch the return of "The Walking Dead".

I promess to you. Tomorrow i will post all.

Cheers, dude !
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 pm

@ludomotico

My boss !

I uploaded the files.

Some notes :

- I am working on the leftdoor. The right door is untouched by now. When i finish the left one, i will just clone it to the right.

( see reference : http://s5.postimg.org/qaflhidaf/log5a.jpg )

- I am working on the front part of the cabin. I just mirror changes made on the left and it is done on the right side too.

- Resolved the livery mistery.

- The vac, as i said, is to be downloaded in the proper folder.

Ludo.

I don't understand GIT very well. I am still working in the v3.2 model.
Added that lines you referenced (to the xml file) but saw no changes in game. Maybe it does not work on the v3.2

Please, save your original files and test.

This time, i downloaded all that i uploaded, and tested.
All works fine here.

I hope the same occurs to you.

Cheers.

PS : The link is https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
thevirtualfer

Postby ludomotico » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 am

In this post you'll find my updates to the last version of your C172P. Textures are now right, thank you very much. Apart from your enhancements, you'll find:

- The aircraft is provided as a new version of the c172p. It is called "Cessna 172P Skyhawk (1981 model, detailed)". To install these files, just unzip them in the Aircraft/c172p directory. NO OFFICIAL FILES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN. In fact, you can restore the original files of the c172p. I don't think we are going to change them anymore. We could also create our own c172p-detailed directory to make the distribution of the new version of the aircraft easier, but since your .ac model still references many .png files of the original c172p, I think it is better for now just using the same directory to simplify the development. Notice I've changed the name of your files to c172-detailed!

Download link: https://seneca.upc.es/owncloud/public.p ... 32cd465ddc

- Since I'm providing a new version of the aircraft, I can define a more realistic initial configuration ;) That means: MASTER OFF, ALTERNATOR OFF, MAGNETOS OFF, MIXTURE LEAN. You have to follow the checklist to start the aircraft! Funny thing: since MASTER ON is set in c172p/Nasal/electrical.nas inside a timer instead of the *-set.xml file, I preferred creating a timer myself to switch MASTER OFF instead of modifying electrical.nas I don't like electrical.nas modifying the initial configuration of the aircraft, but I guess we have to leave this file like this or we will change the default aircraft as well.

- A new instrument: the OAT (outside air temperature) gauge on the top-right side of the windshield. On my beloved C172 (EC-ICE),it was on the left side. But the shape of our model and the photos I found in the internet seem to show a preference for the right side.

- A new radio stack, with the instruments ordered as I like them. Please, notice the transponder (new addition) at the bottom.

- If you click on the bag, you'll get the checklists of the aircraft. You named the manual over there as "Plane.001" and the bag just "bag". I guess these two objects should be a joined in an object named "LeftBag" or something, but it is up to you ;)

My TODO list:

- Upgrading the seats!
- An AVIONICS MASTER switch? Currently, avionics are ON if MASTER is ON. Again, as it happened with the MASTER/ALTERNATOR switches, the avionics switch is coded but it was never modeled. I can't remember where this switch is on the real aircraft!
- Small details not yet modeled They are of little significance in a simulator but add some realism even if they are not interactive: the set of fuses, the hand-phone (next to the trim wheel), a working Hobbs meter...
- Modeling the roof?
Last edited by ludomotico on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ludomotico

Postby onox » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:39 am

Looks nice, why not add this to fgdata?
onox
Retired

Postby ludomotico » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 am

Of course, I prefer not adding anything until having finished and tested everything ;)

Since the c172 is the default aircraft, we must be extra careful. I'd like to have more opinions regarding the organization of this version, specially from the more experimented people over here. For now, I prefer providing an alternate "c172p-detailed" aircraft and not modifying the default c172p
ludomotico

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:21 am

@ludomotico

Guy ! You are the ONE !

Simply loved the changes and the checklist !!!

Thanks.
thevirtualfer

Postby abassign » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:08 am

In Italy we tell: If you do 30... now do 31 :wink:

I am observing the bad rough edges of the fuselage, due to an excessive reduction of the polygons, I noted that the increase of the polygons of the fuselage never gives an excessive load of modern GPU. So I wanted to ask if you can put the hand in order to have an aircraft more real, a bit 'as it is the equivalent FSX and X-Plane.

Another example ... Notice the light on top of the rudder, is off center (both the white and the red) and I think we can make the two illuminators domes softer and semi-transparent, as was done in DHC6 project.

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

@abassign

Probally enhancing c172p-detailed aircraft is a virtually perpetual activity. We will reach these points soon or later. For now, i am tweaking the interior. There are a lot o things to do there.

Thanks for proposing.

@ludo
TODAY
- I will group and rename the the "bag + manual" as you proposed.
- Will try to finish the door, and the left_front of the plane.
- And will fly a lot, of course. The changes you made are really cool.
thevirtualfer

Postby primtala2 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Like these new textures. Gives the plane more realistic look. But the "no smoking" sign is really weird i think. I have never seen that in a real c172.
primtala2

Callsign: D-73
Version: git

Postby tigert » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:48 pm

primtala2 wrote in Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm:Like these new textures. Gives the plane more realistic look. But the "no smoking" sign is really weird i think. I have never seen that in a real c172.

Actually, on the Pilot's Operating Handbook one of the specified (and required) cockpit placards is "SMOKING PROHIBITED" in the top right of the instrument panel. This is for the C172SP, the newly produced version, could be for older too - however the original ones from 1970's have ashtrays and smoking was common, of course.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singapor ... 1321270/L/

//Tuomas
tigert

Postby Torsten » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 pm

ludomotico wrote in Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 am:Of course, I prefer not adding anything until having finished and tested everything ;)

Since the c172 is the default aircraft, we must be extra careful. I'd like to have more opinions regarding the organization of this version, specially from the more experimented people over here. For now, I prefer providing an alternate "c172p-detailed" aircraft and not modifying the default c172p

It is usually better to update small chunks instead of waiting "until everything is finished and tested".
That approach has failed too often before.
My 2ct.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft