Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Where is the C130J ?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Where is the C130J ?

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:07 pm

What is its current state?
Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2020.1.1

Postby TheTom » Tue May 05, 2015 9:40 am

There is currently not much going on. I've just added some details to the model but I currently don't have too much time available for FlightGear. The time I've available I use for core infrastructure (also required by the C-130J avionics systems).
TheTom

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 05, 2015 7:30 pm

@TheTom
Is it GPL?
Best,
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Marsdolphin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Since gitorious closed in 2015, is there still any ways to download this aircraft?

Regards,
Mars.
Find me in Multiplayer as "Mars006". I fly all around the world, but I usually hang out in ZBAA and the surrounding airports.
Everyone be safe and let's hope the pandemic can be over soon.
Have fun flying!
Marsdolphin

Callsign: Mars006, mars006
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/gitorious-fgdata/ci/master/tree/
but i don't think the craft was ever merged in before the gitorious shutdown and subsequent read-only mirroring of the repo to SF for historical purposes...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:32 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm:[...] i don't think the craft was ever merged in before the gitorious shutdown and subsequent read-only mirroring [...]

Unfortunately seems so. Also not not a listed project under TheToms SourceForge profile (under another name).

I do not seem to find a development topic anywhere on the forum either. Only a tease here and there. And several YouTube videos.

However, this search should return two Git repositories[1] and it looks like both would be needed if there will be any further development.

If the license permits, someone please clone them and contact TheTom on the forum and ask if they can be mirrored somewhere easier to find as a development repository. Possibly even checking it against latest FlightGear and if it still works, though I highly doubt that, ask TheTom if the latest commit can be added to the FGAddon repository.

I do expect lots of breakage as it seems that the development started prior to the introduction of Canvas.[2][3] Hence it probably also was used as a test bed for the early Canvas development, so I would not expects all bits and pieces to still work.
____
[1] My Google-Fu is apparently still sharp. :mrgreen:
[2] "TheTom has also repeatedly stated here that this is what originally motivated him to prototype/implement the Canvas system." posted by Hooray, November 10, 2014.
[3] Apparently C-130J development started early 2012, see TheToms post Re: Lockheed C-130 Hercules dated Feb 13, 2014. Canvas development started nearly the same time with the first Canvas commit to the FlightGear repository, d82fd7, being dated May 18, 2012.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby helijah » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:00 am

Of course as always, fantastic and brilliant modifications are made to one of my models as long then NO ONE contacts me. I find it more and more disrespectful! It's tiring. I spend all my free time improving, updating and adding new models (more than 300 to date) and nobody thinks to contact me or send me the changes. Well done! Nice mentality.
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:42 am

Of course as always, fantastic and brilliant modifications are made to one of my models as long then NO ONE contacts me.

You seem to cling to a misunderstanding of the license - nobody needs to contact you. For working on the FG repository our custom is that people get in contact with the maintainer so that everyone works towards the same FGAddon plane.

For working on a private repository (as has been done here) there's absolutely no reason to contact you in any way. In fact, I can understand everyone who does not contact you for that purpose, as it frequently boils down to long and tedious arguments how your work isn't appreciated by people enough etc.

So please let go of the illusion you get to control what happens on private repositories - as long as it's GPL compatible and copyright notices are kept, people have zero obligation to contact you or obtain your blessing for anything.
Thorsten

Postby Alant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:38 pm

It is however good manners to contact the original authors.
Last week I contacted the 707 authors asking for permission to metamorphose their aircraft into a VC10. Permission to canabalise was duly given.
This is a very good start point for a VC10, as it has the same engines (4 x RR Conway), same autopilot (The Elliot Brothers autopilot is the Bendix PB-20 built under license) and many instruments and flight systems are also similar. I have nearly completed the 3D model and have a Datcom FDM under way. If anyone wants to join in it will soon be on github.
Back to the point, the original aircraft developers may also have their own improvements under way, and a simple request will save duplication of effort. Thorsten makes the point that GPL means you can do what you like and you do not need to ask for permission, but a little communication is never a bad thing. Some folk are more sensitive about this than others, and this should be born in mind.
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby gooneybird » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Alant wrote in Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:38 pm:It is however good manners to contact the original authors.
Last week I contacted the 707 authors asking for permission to metamorphose their aircraft into a VC10.

That sounds interesting, I have an AI version That I've been working on for a while.
gooneybird

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Back to the point, the original aircraft developers may also have their own improvements under way, and a simple request will save duplication of effort.

Usually the choice of a private repository rather than FGAddon is already an indication that this isn't a concern - we might try to treat contributors like TheTom (who, after all, has contributed the canvas system to FG) as adult people who are aware what FGAddon is for and who can make an informed choice to use it or not for whatever reasons - without suggesting that doing so would be poor manners.

If I plan to contribute back to FGAddon, it'd be inefficient and poor style to never talk to the original maintainer. If I plan to compete with the original developers, that'd be really bad manners. If I have no such plans and just want to try out a few things, or have my private playground - than that's my business and needs to be respected. End of story.
Thorsten

Postby Alant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Looks good.
My blender model is just about ready for converting to AC3D and then the fun starts with cutting up the 707.
I plan on making Standard, Super and RAF vaiants with normal FG and AI tanker versions. Also a static model to add to my model of Brooklands Airfield in the 1970 - where the VC10 was born.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:50 pm

right, Tom was originally working on the C130J, but then got stuck when he tried to develop the avionics, so that the ended up implementing the Canvas system - he's repeatedly mentioned this on several occasions.
So keep in mind that TheTom is familiar with how the project works (he ended up becoming a core developer back when he contributed the Canvas system).

It's very likely, that at the time, this was a sensible decision - since then, Tom is busy with other matters and also hasn't been actively involved in core development matters.
So it's kinda moot now to make a fuss here - look at Tom's track record, like Thorsten suggested ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 pm

i don't see anything in the archived repo (linked above) of TheTom's c-130j that indicates any origin from or involvement of any other craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby helijah » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 pm

Alant wrote in Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:38 pm:It is however good manners to contact the original authors.
Last week I contacted the 707 authors asking for permission to metamorphose their aircraft into a VC10. Permission to canabalise was duly given.

Thank you dear Alant for understanding and having enough neurons not to drool here as others do for the pleasure of creating hatred.
Personally, I have never refused that someone uses my models to improve them contrary to what this poor guy says. And I can prove that many of my models are used in other projects than FlightGear (without me, therefore). But each time people had the courtesy to at least introduce themselves. That's all we ask. And those were the rules that were set on this forum in the first place.

Open source is not anarchy contrary to what little believe or think Thortsen
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft