Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Where is the C130J ?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Where is the C130J ?

Postby abassign » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 am

Where is the C130J? I try to find it in ghe GIT and with generic web search, but I don't find nothing, often this airplane is citated in the canvas post, I want to look the nasal and canvas code.
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Re: Where is the C130J ?

Postby StuartC » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 am

Its not been released yet
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Philosopher » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:54 pm

no, it's here: https://gitorious.org/flight/c-130j/ (available, but not finished ;))
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI
Version: Git

Postby abassign » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:51 pm

I hope that soon plane is finished , because it promises very well!

Last edited by abassign on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
abassign

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:38 am

Wow, that plane looks great... looking forward to updates :)
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

IRC name: ffisch
Version: 3.0

Postby abassign » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Who is the developer ?
abassign

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:34 pm

abassign wrote in Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 pm:Who is the developer ?

You only need to look at the commit logs: https://gitorious.org/flight/c-130j/activities
And if that's still too obscure for your taste, look at the author field in the -set.xml file: https://gitorious.org/flight/c-130j/sou ... set.xml#L7
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:34 pm

This aircraft is still in development, correct? The project has not died?
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:25 pm

2This particular aircraft is being developed by a contributor who has meanwhile become a FlightGear core developer - thus, it is among the very few aircraft which have caused major architectural changes in FlightGear (such as e.g. Canvas/cppbind, the tracking animation - to name just a few examples).
Nevertheless, contributions are likely to be appreciated - even though it makes sense to get in touch upfront.

Overall, I wouldn't hold my breath though, or even make feature requests - "finishing" a complex aircraft is likely to take several years in a volunteer-project like FlightGear (e.g. see the p51, the 787, 747 etc), and the main developer involved here is also pretty busy with technical aspects of FlightGear that are generally understood to be more important/critical than any single/particular aircraft like the C130J, no matter how nice it may be.

In general, many aircraft related developments can be implemented without having to be a coder - FG core development however is more complex and cannot be as easily "learnt".

While there are a number of aircraft in FG that were originally developed by core developers, core developers generally seem to prefer/prioritize core development - but often core development is inspired by features missing on certain aircraft (e.g. see the Seneca).

TheTom has also repeatedly stated here that this is what originally motivated him to prototype/implement the Canvas system.

Finally, for the sake of the WHOLE project (including other aircraft), it is obviously more beneficial if core developers are not primarily contributing to a single aircraft/area, so that they can focus instead on providing building blocks and infrastructure.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Yeah, I understand what you mean about finishing an aircraft. What I meant to ask is if he will be giving it livery support soon.
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:09 am

look, compared to C++, GLSL or Nasal coding, UV mapping and creating liveries/textures is a fairly simple process that doesn't require any programming experience - asking a core developer to handle such things would be akin to asking Stephen Hawking to teach algebra at a high school :lol: - so, I'd suggest to keep your expectations reasonable. If you truly care that much about a certain aircraft, you can pick up such skills within a few weekends - just imagine for a second all core developers would suddenly be doing liveries, and you'll see that core development could easily stagnate even more.
Doing UV mapping and liveries are well-documented, you can find numerous FG specific pointers on the wiki, and a ton of references that are not specific to FG.
Finally, an aircraft's livery is not unlike a "haircut"-you wouldn't get one before everything else is place already.
Doing liveries while the 3D model may still be in flux is generally not a good idea, and most professional/serious users will not be particularly affected by an aircraft having support for additional liveries, there really are more important things.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby flyingfisch » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 am

Umm, Hooray, please remember that I have made my own aircraft and also UV-mapped it and added livery support. Within a couple of days I am sure he could have it done.

The only reason I am not doing it is that my free time is very limited right now. However, rest assured, I was actually planning on UV-mapping it myself, but I wanted to make sure the developer wasn't already working on it/had it done but not pushed.

Also, the core developers are not gods. Your sense of awe over them is probably caused by the fact that you cannot/do not have the time to develop the skills to do it. Even Linus Torvalds works on personal side projects besides the Linux kernel. And Nasal development really is not more difficult than UV mapping, though if he actually works on the C++ and GLSL guts of the program then I would agree that it is more difficult.

Lastly, my post wasn't even worded as a request. It was worded as a simple question. I see no reason for the lecture you gave me.

P.S. I think I will contact the author to find out if he is interested in continuing to work on this project. I don't want to add livery support before he gets the external model pretty much finished.
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:13 am

Somehow you completely missed my point: as you may have noticed (or not ...), I also happen to be familiar with Nasal and C++, I also regularly build FG from source and tend to patch it, too.

So I am far from being "impressed" by people familiar with coding (core developers or not) - but I am particularly unimpressed by people telling coders to do something that they themselves could learn/do on their own within a few days, stuff that involves zero coding.

Equally, pointing out that your "free time is limited right now" is as pointless as it gets: this is exactly what is preventing others -too- from contributing more to the project, including people familiar with aircraft or core development, like core developers who do both. For coordination-purposes, you should probably not use this thread but really get in touch with TheTom.

Besides, it seems that you have really only just dabbled with Nasal coding so far if you think that it it is "not more complicated than UV mapping", so please let's try not to be too ignorant here, ok ?
C++, GLSL and Nasal are "just" languages - you can write simple (and even dumb) code in either of them (including C++), and still write very sophisticated Nasal code, too - without it having to involve any manual memory management or pointers. Writing stuff like the MapStructure framework is definitely more complex than UV mapping - despite the later being possibly quite a bit more tedious.

Also, I wasn't giving a lecture at all - your postings are coming across in a certain way, which is why I responded the way I did - asking what you were asking for is simply not reasonable given the background that I've detailed above.

(No offense intended or taken though - I am not necessarily saying that your attitude is the problem - this is written communication after all, and we have to keep in mind that people may be taking part here whose first language isn't English, so there's that too )
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby flyingfisch » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:35 am

OK, I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your previous post.

I will say though, that it is possible to say objectively that Nasal is easier than C++ or GLSL, the same way I can say that Lua is easier than Haskell. I am not saying that you can't do some really hairy stuff in Lua, but rather that it is much easier to learn and code in than Haskell, all other things being equal.

Like I said though, I plan on contacting the maintainer of this project to ask if the exterior model is to the point where it can be UV mapped. I think also that texturing the interior could improve its appearance a lot.
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Postby TheTom » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:38 am

I am definitely still working on this aircraft, but it is still far away from a state for being released. Probably the most complete part is the exterior model, although there is still some work needed (eg. the main landing gear doors, cargo ramp & door, and chaff/flare dispensers.). The changes to the UV map wouldn't be large, but I'm not planning to do this before the exterior model is somehow complete.

Also the FDM needs a lot of work, because it's just an automatically generated FDM with some values changed. It doesn't fit the real world data well yet, and eg. if you try to land using real speeds, you will probably crash.

As Hooray said, this is mainly a testbed for new features, and far away from being complete or really flyable :-)
TheTom

Next

Return to Aircraft