Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Dead Simple Human Powered Aircraft model v1.0  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Dead Simple Human Powered Aircraft model v1.0

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:45 am

I added a some human power output bindings to the power input for the Dash. If you choose one of the 7 new modes the aircraft will be bound to those power outputs over time. It is really quite interesting.

I also increase the max watts on the engine to the "unrealistic" 2387 watts. There is another GUI choice to display the watts that are being passed to the prop to the lower right screen. That way you can also control the DaSH precisely by watts. using the throttle

I plan to eventually add some scenarios where you can attempt to complete certain tasks using one of those bindings.

I have a question regarding the normalizing of watts to the throttle settings of 0-1. Normalizing 2387 to 1, should a throttle setting of .5 be a fairly close representation of half of 2387 watts. Should the FDM respond as if you had actually set the max engine power to half of 2387? Or is there undesirable effects being introduced by trying to control the power output in that manner.

I did it this way because I didn't know how to change the engine max watts in the FDM on the fly, or if you even can.

Feedback appreciated!
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 pm

I've a little problem in my power curve outputs.

Code: Select all
<electric_engine name="legs">
    <power unit="WATTS"> 2378 </power>
</electric_engine>

I need to be able to change the value of "power" on the fly, in DaSH/Engines/dash-enigines.xml (above), called from DaSH/dash-fdm.xml (below). Can that be changed without a restart?
Code: Select all
<fdm_config
    <propulsion>
       <engine file="dash-engine">
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby AndersG » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Can't you just restrict the available throttle range, i.e. map the full 0-1 range of /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/throttle-cmd-norm[x] to a smaller range on /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/throttle-pos-norm[x], instead?
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Bomber » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

On the fly?

Use a gain linked to property within a system
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks for the replies, I fixed it. I was sending seconds instead of minutes to the function. Once I accounted for that it pushed the correct values.

Pushing correction as we speak.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:04 am

Along with the hard coded human power curve functions I added a new one, "User Defined". You can now enter your own power curve trend function "f(x) = coefficient x^ exponent" based on your own historical data sets.

Most of the major spreadsheet programs have the ability to export or produce a function based on your input data set. You can take that function coefficient and exponent and plug it into the GUI "Power Curves" dialog choice "User Defined" and fly the DaSH bound to that power curve.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:05 pm

I have access to a recumbent exer-cycle it would be interesting to work out an interface that measures my power output and maps it to the throttle input, makes me wonder if i still have any of my old leg strength. I used to commute daily on a bike almost 15 miles.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:53 pm

I'd love that;
So would my mom.
I spend too much time on my computer already.
But how, do you plug the bike to the computer?
And I do not have a throttle either.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

The interface would be extremely tough to make for someone not experienced with mechanics and electro-mechanical interfaces. Probably require a custom joystick with a DAC linked interface to the cycle's wheel RPM and a pezio type strain gauge to the friction 'brakes' on the bike's rim. Then calibrating out the amount of power I'm actually making.
LesterBoffo

Postby Johan G » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Sensing the friction brake can probably be done in an easier way that using a strain gauge, for example using a potentiometer and lever to measure a displacement, and the RPM could probably be measured with a patch of reflex tape on the flywheel and some kind of reflection sensor (maybe as simple as a LED and a photo diode on a piece of perf board).

Hypothetically the device could be a HID joystick whose axis would represent the brake force and the RPM, a serial device transmitting brake force and RPM to a generic protocol, or something else. There are many development boards for making USB HID devices and USB serial devices. Many of them have good documentation, programming and hardware examples as well as forums where one can ask for support. It mostly comes down to being able to learn new software, some soldering skills and figuring out how to mount the sensors on the bike. See also a Google search for usb hid development board.

Caveat: I have not done anything like that myself, but I enjoy looking at homebuilt electronics and hardware, in particular at the Hackaday blog.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Maybe gut out an old USB mouse, especially if it's an ancient one with the ball and roller sensors? Couldn't this be implemented without external circuitry?
LesterBoffo

Postby Johan G » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Gearing down to reasonable speeds, it should not be impossible. Just avoid changing to mouse view mode. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby bugman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 am

Here is the very first flight of the DaSH PA - a brand new video from Alec Proudfoot :)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Thank you for posting that bugman, I saw that and hadn't gotten around to posting it yet.
Looks like I have a couple modeling changes to make, (prop and wing riser support, rudder). I'll try to do it as a livery? I want to keep the existing look of current model. It was based partially on a different craft.

Also, we need to set up wingflex on this.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Can you also model people on bicycles as submodels for part of the launch mechanism? ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft