Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Fighter Squadron WWI conversions for FG.

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Fighter Squadron WWI conversions for FG.

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 am

Oh by the way, I have been messing around and I must say for the gunds you ought to use Models/geometry/Tracer.xml. It's a much better looking tracer for small guns.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby bennymaeker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Hello. Where I can download the Zeppelin L-11?
bennymaeker

Postby VicMar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby AndersG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 am

That was not even nearly the right answer for that question.. :)
LZ 121 Nordstern is the closest match in FGAddon, but I suppose LesterBoffo might have the original he looks for.

IIRC the conversions could not be redistributed as GPL v2+ so none of them are in FGAddon.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby bennymaeker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Hello, I mean this one :
bennymaeker

Postby AndersG » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Have you tried contacting LesterBoffo directly? He seems to have a PM and email button on this forum - look at one of his posts.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby AndersG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Uhum.. it might be worth noting that the aircraft seems to consist of Non-GPL and GPL content put together. And that the section 1 and 2 demands of the GPL has not been followed for some of the files, i.e. that any preexisting copyright and license notices should be retained while notices stating who changed the files should be added to those becoming derived works.

(Read the second as: I, as someone who hasn't touched this aircraft at all, don't want to stand, in those files, as the only recipient of complaints, functional or whatever, on those files. For the first - it might become a problem if it is ever required legally to determine whether a FlightGear aircraft is a compilation or a whole and the decision settles on the second option.)
AndersG

Postby swampthing » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm

No worries its not on FGaddon.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby AndersG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 pm

swampthing wrote in Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm:No worries its not on FGaddon.

In what way is that relevant? It is being distributed and some parts are derived from my work and not even the not very burdensome section 1 and 2 demands of the license are complied with - how difficult would it be to a) not remove the copyright and license notices from files copied from my work (e.g. the -set file that very obviously started its life from my Nordstern airship) and b) state that (for the files it applies to) while the file(s) originated in the Nordstern airship they have been modified by Lester (I suppose).
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm

@AndersG I am sorry for posting the link if it is an issue. I just happened to know its location and had no idea there were licensing issues or I may have elected to not post the link, even though it is readily available in a search.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby AndersG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm:@AndersG I am sorry for posting the link if it is an issue. I just happened to know its location and had no idea there were licensing issues or I may have elected to not post the link, even though it is readily available in a search.

Nah, it's more of just an observation and a bit of public whining. I'm not against people using things I've made (just like I use things others have made) but I'd prefer if they'd made some effort to comply with the license terms (and also not leave my name alone on derived works that I'm no longer the sole author of).
AndersG

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm

AndersG wrote in Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 pm:
wlbragg wrote in Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm:@AndersG I am sorry for posting the link if it is an issue. I just happened to know its location and had no idea there were licensing issues or I may have elected to not post the link, even though it is readily available in a search.

Nah, it's more of just an observation and a bit of public whining. I'm not against people using things I've made (just like I use things others have made) but I'd prefer if they'd made some effort to comply with the license terms (and also not leave my name alone on derived works that I'm no longer the sole author of).

Yeah I should have taken note of this earlier, My mistake.

The artwork in the 3D Models for this Zeppelin are from FS-WWI: for the L-11. Where this model originally came from, I was asked to release this as non commercial. I'm not sure what can be done to rectify this issue with Anders' set, FDM and other portions of the Norstern I used, I had asked previously about if this could be done. I was under the impression that it would be OK

I was mistaken.

So maybe best to just remove this from circulation.

There's no way that the folks at FS-WWI will allow this 3D and art as GPL with it's potential for commercial use.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby AndersG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Again, don't worry too much: I deliberately split the complaint in two parts:
1) The lack of compliance when it comes to preserving and adding to the license statements of files that are derived works. This should be easy to fix.
2) The thorny question of whether an FlightGear aircraft is a compilation of content or a whole if occurring in a copyright case and its implications for derived GPL work. I have no idea what way such a thing would lean, but if 1) is properly taken care of I'll be relatively sure that I won't end up a defendant due to your aircraft. And I'm not such a GPL zealot that I'd pursue case 2 just to find out based on the inclusion of work derived from my files.
AndersG

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:04 pm

AndersG wrote in Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm:Again, don't worry too much: I deliberately split the complaint in two parts:
1) The lack of compliance when it comes to preserving and adding to the license statements of files that are derived works. This should be easy to fix.
2) The thorny question of whether an FlightGear aircraft is a compilation of content or a whole if occurring in a copyright case and its implications for derived GPL work. I have no idea what way such a thing would lean, but if 1) is properly taken care of I'll be relatively sure that I won't end up a defendant due to your aircraft. And I'm not such a GPL zealot that I'd pursue case 2 just to find out based on the inclusion of work derived from my files.

I'm a bit concerned about the Fighter Squadron WWI folks, their forum and download website are on a shoestring budget/volunteer since 2004, they wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the generosity of Activision releasing their Fighter Squadron SDoE base game for continued modding, and the request that any additional work or add-ons be non-commercial.

Old flight sims are falling off the internet like fall leaves after a freeze. RC-SIM.de just folded tent last June after a long run of keeping AeroFly/EasyFly 4 alive for nearly 13 years.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft