Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Fighter Squadron WWI conversions for FG.

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Fighter Squadron WWI conversions for FG.

Postby AndersG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm

It seems obvious that you have to place your bet on a FlightGear aircraft being a compilation. As such it can contain stuff with different licenses, such as some XML files with GPL licenses and some other content under some other licenses. It should probably have a README file that explains which parts are under what license in addition to the in-file license header information for the file formats that support such.

The above, of course, just being my own layman interpretation of the situation.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:20 pm

AndersG wrote in Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm:It seems obvious that you have to place your bet on a FlightGear aircraft being a compilation. As such it can contain stuff with different licenses, such as some XML files with GPL licenses and some other content under some other licenses. It should probably have a README file that explains which parts are under what license in addition to the in-file license header information for the file formats that support such.

The above, of course, just being my own layman interpretation of the situation.

That would work for me It gets a little complex, the latest iteration of the L-11 has many different sources mostly GPL except for the 3D items and art. I usually place the art CC non-com EULA notification in the splash screen.

So would adding another text file listing the CC art in addition be best?
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:10 pm

If you want to be safe, can't you just ship things bundled as two separate downloads? As far as I'm aware, that should cover everything.

Here's a terrific GPL FDM for you to enjoy,

And here's a 3d model to go with it - but beware, it has a different license.

The FSF describes the bundling theme as 'both form and function' - so even if things function together, if your download mechanism makes it abundantly clear what is what, nobody can blame you.
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:20 pm

That might work it would be like a kit plane, and as such may be a bit perplexing to someone new to FlightGear.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Previous

Return to Aircraft