Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New aircraf: Pipistrel Panthera

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

New aircraf: Pipistrel Panthera

Postby speedflighery » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 pm

I've just released a new aircraft. It is the Panthera from Pipistrel. You can download it from github: https://github.com/urbu/fg-aircraft-panthera/archive/master.zip
It is very basic most of the instruments aren't working yet but it is flyable.
The only issue is the fdm model. The plane can fly but it doesn't reach the desired speed I think that the drag is to big. I created the fdm model using aeromatic: http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/aeromatic2.html If someone has any idea how to solve the fdm problem please write a reply.
This is the link to the home website of the real aircraft: http://www.panthera-aircraft.com/
I will try to get out a new version with a lot more sistems working in a few months depending on how much time I will have.
speedflighery

Version: 2.12

Re: New aircraf: Pipistrel Panthera

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi & welcome,

you may want to post a few screen shots here (or even a youtube video) and/or announce your work via the upcoming newsletter (see my signature)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby speedflighery » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 pm

speedflighery

Postby hvengel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:48 pm

In the XML for the FDM there is a DRAG section that can be used to alter the drag characteristics of you aircraft. This section contains a number of functions that are used by the JSBSim engine to sum up the total drag on the airframe. To change the drag you would alter these functions so that less drag was being produced. That is the simple part.

The difficult part is changing these functions so that they are actually representative of your aircraft. The best thing is to have actual wind tunnel data which can be plugged directly into the FDM functions. Unfortunately this is generally only available for WWII era US military aircraft (IE. NACA data from the NASA technical reports server). Most GA aircraft will have only limited data available mostly in the form of performance numbers (stall speed, cruise speed...) which is of limited use for creating a JSBSim FDM. But if the aircraft is using a non-proprietary airfoils you should be able to find wind tunnel data for the wing and tail from public sources. If you are lucky the aircraft vendor MIGHT share some of this data with you. So it does not hurt to ask (very nicely). If that does not work then you can use software like Datcom+ or xflr5 to model the aircraft. Datcom will output directly to a JSBSim FDM file. But be aware that both of these require a lot of work to setup and lots of computing time to give you results. You also need a fairly deep understanding of aerodynamics to be able to use these correctly. Even if you have a good understanding of aerodynamics it will take weeks or even months (FTE) to get good results from either of these programs.
hvengel
Retired

Postby speedflighery » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you very much I will try to get in touch with the aircraft manufacturer and will hopefully get some data.
speedflighery

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 pm

be prepared to provide some context around FlightGear, it being GPL'ed, what that means (usually non-commercial, volunteer-based, non-proprietary), some screen shots and/or youtube videos may also be helpful.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby hvengel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Also you need to be very exacting (as in using the correct engineering terminology) about what it is you need. So you should probably spend some time studying other JSBSim FDMs to understand what is in there and perhaps even read a few aerodynamics texts before making the request. What you learn in those texts will translate directly into JSBSim so you probably need to do this in any case. And remember it is you who is asking them to do you a favor. You need to somehow convince them that it is in their best interests to help you out. Chances of success are very low - perhaps less than 1% - but if you do succeed you will have what you need to build a 5 star FDM.
hvengel
Retired

Postby zlsa » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm currently working on the Pipistrel Virus motorglider (same company), and I've emailed the company to ask for permission and (potential) data. They replied that while they can't endorse my work (obviously), they don't mind me releasing it. They seemed to be very open to the idea of a FlightGear model of one of their aircraft.
zlsa

Callsign: N275A
Version: 3.5 git

Postby hvengel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:53 pm

That's good. My experience is that aviation companies (other than Honda anyway) don't mind representations of their products being exposed in various media, good PR, but that technical data tends to be very closely held. So they might be open to giving you a nice set of 3 views with some dimensions and perhaps a bunch of detail photos but not much more.

For example at one point I contacted the company that at one point was Hamilton Standard to try to get engineering specs for the P-51D propeller. They were very polite and I actually ended up communicating with someone who worked in the propeller engineering department but no hard data was forthcoming even if it was over 60 years old.

Again it does not hurt to ask but please don't expect to get anything and be polite.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Nick R » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 pm

zlsa wrote in Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 pm:I'm currently working on the Pipistrel Virus motorglider (same company), and I've emailed the company to ask for permission and (potential) data.

Good to know other people are interested in Pipistrel aircraft. I'm working on the Pipistrel Virus SW (see my hangar).

I've also contacted Pipistrel in the past on data for the aircraft. Just be precise and polite if you do decide on contacting them and don't expect to receive a lot of data that isn't already out there.
Hangar: fgpipistrel.org
Modelling the Pipistrel Virus SW (github, website)
Nick R

Callsign: NickR
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby KSFO_EVENT » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

Hi!
Ive just downloaded this aircraft... is it normal that there is nothing clickable and both screens are (staying) dark?
KSFO_EVENT

Version: 3.2

Postby speedflighery » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Yes it is not finished yet and I haven't had time to do more work on it. But it is planed to make the cabin fully functional. Also the fdm model needs a lot of tuning.
speedflighery

Postby hardba11 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello,

I am happy to announce that I am continuing the project !
any help is welcome especially in :
- yasim or jsbsim
- nasal+canvas for glass cockpit

here are some pictures of the project

here is the git repository :
https://github.com/hardba11/fg-aircraft-panthera

regards,

nico
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 pm

For the glass cockpit you could use the G1000?

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32764&start=120
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby erik » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am

For the FDM you could switch to AeromatiC++:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aeromatic

It is far more advanced than the web version and requires fairly little information about the aircraft to produce a decent FDM. Unknown parameters can even be omitted in which case the program chooses a plausible number.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Next

Return to Aircraft