Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 am

And now I have another update from the lovely studio of FL2070. We have new MD-11 sounds!!!! These are pushed and ready to fly.

Get it from my signature leading to my repo, or by clicking here!

Git users:
If you don't have the MD-11:
Code: Select all
git clone https://www.github.com/it0uchpods/MD-11.git

If you already have the MD-11:
Code: Select all
git pull https://www.github.com/it0uchpods/MD-11 master
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:54 am

@tikibar
is there a master copy of the MD-11 repo? Theres my repo, yours, jormapaappa's, it gets confusing, maybe there shuold be one repo, that we merge all stable work into?

Regards,
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby tikibar » Wed May 25, 2016 3:20 am

Juuso (jormapaappa1235) started the MD-11. He asked me to look into the systems for it, and for a while our repos were synced. Eventually he moved on to other things outside FG, but I continued working on a few things with the MD-11 - mostly the AP, FDMs, and getting the displays working. My repo moved ahead. Then MSA (I think) used it for the MD-11X project, then Israel co-opted it for fgmembers.

After the FDM and AP are in reasonable shape, I'd like to add it to the official FG hangar. That, of course, requires strict adherence to the GPL v2. As long as we can be totally sure that everything that goes in is GPL, I'd be happy to host the stable work on my repo. I have commit access to FGAddon, so when we decide it's ready for release, I can make that happen.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 am

@tikibar
Wonderful, as you know FDM work is really not my thing...
If you look through my repo, you will find a stable copy of the MD-11, with the following major things fixed:

All 4 Gears show up over MP
V/S
Instruments improved, corrected.
Autospoiler/autobreak fixed
Landing lights/taxi lights fixed
New sounds by FL2070
A few minor things

Currently, the plane has no errors, and all the bug testers tell me its pretty stable, I suggest you look through it to see if you find any mistakes/errors, and then sync the repos? After the new FDM, I think the two main things to finish are the AP and Cockpit, I will in the mean time continue fixing the instruments, as they still need work. Then I will continue animating overhead switches, and then create the functionality.

I have extensively tested everything so far, it seems to be fine. I only push stable things.

I follow the dogssaymoo repo, so I always update my repo with your changes, since its more your plane than mine ;) They should be compatible. Once they are even, maybe I will recreate my repo as a fork of yours (maybe I should have done this in the first place :oops:), for easier merging once my work is stable and beta tested.

I am also talking with artix, who built the Airbus ND, to possibly create a MD-11 style ND for this plane, and the 717.

Best,

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:18 am

Today's work: PFD
I redid the entire autopilot annunicator today. It is about 50% done, and works, I still need to add color, and the little line between the two AP modes. When CLMB THRUST is active, the annunicator shows speed as PITCH and alt as CLB THRUST. I will be programming a FADEC soon, so there will also be an IDLE THRUST mode. I guess you might need 2 pid-controllers, one for climb (CLB THRUST) and one for descend (IDLE THRUST)

Now then, some photos!!!
Note: This is UNFINISHED work, and may be missing things, or have issues.
Everything you see works, that is the way I do things :D
The ATS OFF and its box disappear if the Autothrust is armed, or on.
The AP OFF and its box disappear if the Autopilot is on.
Also, I fixed the V/S indicator, it doesn't flash now, instead it shows properly.

The new PFD in V/S, G/S, ALT HLD, or PROF modes. V/S pictured.

The new PFD in CLB THRUST/IDLE THRUST modes. CLB THRUST pictured.

The best thing is you can read it if you zoom out as well, it doesn't get distorted like the old one did for some reason.

Once again, that is UNFINISHED work.

Other fixes:
AUTOFLIGHT Button works as per real life
APPR/LAND Button works as per real life

What do you think?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Sorry for all the posts

I am redoing my changes as a fork of your MD-11, to make things easier to merge when you are ready. Everything is 100% GPL V2 or V3, created either by me in GIMP, AC3D, etc, and sounds from FL2070 are GPL V3.

My changes:
New PFD
New EAD1
AUTOFLIGHT/APPRLAND buttons works as per real life
Overhead improved
Autospoilers fixed
New sounds by FL2070
V/S fixed.
Cockpit .ac and .xml files updated for autospoiler handle
My *temporary* wing fix, ailerons did not turn enough. This makes the plane flyable, until your FDM is ready.
Did I mention fully rembrandt compatable?

Is this all OK?

EDIT: PUSHED!

Is this all OK with you?
Last edited by Octal450 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:19 am

Spoilers work now on MD-11F. They were never changed to using the new properties, only the old ones where, not sure who did it like that, but its fixed nevertheless! I also fixed the textures of the engines, when the default liveries where changed, the textures broke.

Pushed to GIT.

Octal450

Postby bugman » Mon May 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi it0uchpods,

For the mixing of GPLv2 and GPLv3 licences in one aircraft, I suggest reading what the author of these licences, Richard Stallman, says about their incompatibility. Just replace 'program' with 'content' when reading, as that is what is legally relevant here. This is why we don't mix GPL v2 and v3 in FGAddon, but instead use GPLv2+ (note the important + here which means "v2 or any later version"), and have a licence compatibility policy. It is often easy enough to just ask the content creator to dual-licence their works.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby bugman » Mon May 30, 2016 4:45 pm

By the way, you may wish to update the aircraft listing of your hangar on the wiki ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Octal450 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:49 am

@bugman
Good idea, thanks!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:54 am

I will ask FL2070 to make the sounds GPLV2, everything else is GPLV2. (GPWS sounds recorded by me off a real MD-11 sim)

Octal450

Postby bugman » Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am

I suggest asking for GPLv2+, which means that they can easily be updated to GPLv3+ in the future, without having to ask all authors for permission. This is part of the FlightGear policy for the core code and content, but your aircraft would benefit as well. The "+" part is very important:

GNU GPL FAQ (paraphrased) wrote:Why should [aircraft] say “Version 3 of the GPL or any later version”?
From time to time, at intervals of years, we change the GPL—sometimes to clarify it, sometimes to permit certain kinds of use not previously permitted, and sometimes to tighten up a requirement. (The last two changes were in 2007 and 1991.) Using this “indirect pointer” in each [aircraft] makes it possible for us to change the distribution terms on the entire collection of GNU software, when we update the GPL.

If each [aircraft] lacked the indirect pointer, we would be forced to discuss the change at length with numerous copyright holders, which would be a virtual impossibility. In practice, the chance of having uniform distribution terms for GNU software would be nil.

Suppose a [aircraft] says “Version 3 of the GPL or any later version” and a new version of the GPL is released. If the new GPL version gives additional permission, that permission will be available immediately to all the users of the [aircraft]. But if the new GPL version has a tighter requirement, it will not restrict use of the current version of the [aircraft], because it can still be used under GPL version 3. When a [aircraft] says “Version 3 of the GPL or any later version”, users will always be permitted to use it, and even change it, according to the terms of GPL version 3—even after later versions of the GPL are available.

If a tighter requirement in a new version of the GPL need not be obeyed for existing software, how is it useful? Once GPL version 4 is available, the developers of most GPL-covered [aircraft] will release subsequent versions of their [aircraft] specifying “Version 4 of the GPL or any later version”. Then users will have to follow the tighter requirements in GPL version 4, for subsequent versions of the [aircraft].

However, developers are not obligated to do this; developers can continue allowing use of the previous version of the GPL, if that is their preference.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Octal450 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 pm

@bugman
OK thanks,

Octal450

Postby tikibar » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 am

Hi it0ouchpods - all that sounds great. I got my FG machine up and running today, but FG work is going to be a little slow for a bit while I catch up with real-world work. Let me know when all the license stuff is sorted (sounds like it's mostly already done) and I'll get it all merged and put together.

For the FDMs, I've got the takeoff and approach performance tuned pretty well. If I have time this evening, I'll work on crosswinds and rudder/aileron tuning. After that is climb, cruise, and descent. Then range, which is the most time-consuming part.

Thanks for working with the MD-11. I'm happy to see it getting some love.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:15 am

@tikibar
Wonderful, I hope your house move goes smoothly!
I have not reached FL2070 yet, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the FDM! If you need someone to test, I have a decent amount of time on my hands now that exams are out!

No problem, its my favorite plane, thanks for working with me! :D

Regards,

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft