Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Postby bugman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

I've just checked the sources and it is not clear that Jonathan Schellhase is the current lead developer and that he is dg-505. So as Thorsten says, use the forum email (or PM) him. You can see the links for this on his dg-505 profile page. Give it some time though. Don't forget he could be on holidays. Or he might be busy with real life. If that doesn't work, just say and I can then PM you his email address in private.

Regards,
Edward

Edit: I'll take that back. I was looking at the wrong aircraft. In the docs/README.txt file, there is:

Code: Select all
Thanks to:

Main authors:
    * Syd Adams (syd_cyyf):             Initial model, 3D modelling, Textures, FDM, Sound, Systems,
                                        Nasal scripting, etc.
    * Christian Thiriot (PATTEN):       Texturing, 3D Modelling, Instruments, etc.
    * Bo Lan (lanbo64):                 Systems, Nasal scripting, FDM, Autopilot, Instruments, etc.
    * Jonathan Schellhase (dg-505):     Current maintenance, 3D modelling, Systems, Checklists, Tutorials,
                                        Sound, Nasal, 2D panel, Artwork, etc.

Other contributors:
    Clément de l'Hamaide, (f-jjth), PAF Team, Zdenal, Erik, abassign, primtala2,
    tauchergreg: Intensive bug hunting, Adam Swift (Mig29pilot): Artwork,
    Sebastian (rollershutter), Adrian Serrano (asr), the whole FlightGear community

Special thanks to Thorsten Renk for giving us the wonderful effects of
    the ALS framework and to the Cessna 172P development team for the
    pioneering work they did regarding the securing procedures and the
    environment sounds!

Jonathan's email address is given later in that same file.
bugman

Version: next

Postby mathieugouin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 am

Hello all,

Thanks for explaining the background.

I will do as you suggested. I will post back in any case (whether I receive a response or not).

Regards,
Mathieu
Mathieu
mathieugouin

Callsign: MGOUIN
Version: V2018.1.1

Postby mathieugouin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 am

On another topic, how do you maintain a list of open issues for each aircraft so that we know which are worked on and by who?
Thanks!
Mathieu
mathieugouin

Callsign: MGOUIN
Version: V2018.1.1

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 am

Dear wlbragg,
I did not mention FGMEMBERS in my message, so I am not quite sure why you are referring to it. Perhaps I read something wrong, but the tone I got was that you MUST use FGAddon to collaborate well. Apologies if that is not the case. (language barriar perhaps?)

My intent was simply to state that you can collaborate in any place you want. I, for example, am much happier with GitHub/git vs SourceForge/svn, so I use GitHub there.

You are right, FGMEMBERS has not been synced with FGAddon in a long time, so unless updated by others, they seem to get out of date there.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 am

Apologies Josh, I totally misunderstood your post and I agree, there is really no issue as to which platform one likes to work in. My emphasis is on making sure it gets merged into fgaddon in the end, if appropriate.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 am

On another topic, how do you maintain a list of open issues for each aircraft so that we know which are worked on and by who?

Typically you start a thread here in the forums and post your progress. If your using a website development platform such as GitHub, then you can keep track of everything in the project repository, see https://github.com/c172p-team/c172p for example of how the c172p is worked on by many developers. There is a loosely corresponding forum post here where we announce new features or ask for support when there are questions.

For DHC-6 you could post your progress in this forum thread.
wlbragg

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 am

Hi wlbragg,
No worries! :) I agree, the end goal should always be to get back into the "official" repo (in this case, FGAddon).

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby dg-505 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:06 am

Hi all, I'm still around, though quite inactive due to a few real life issues. Nevertheless I've been checking this thread from time to time.
Of course I can take a look at the changes, but unfortunately I'm afraid I won't have time to deal with it in the next two or three weeks.
Okay, so if some of you other experts might want to take a look, please do not hesitate.

That said I want do say a big thanks to all who contribute or have controbuted to this aircraft.

@Mathieu, please don't get your valuable contributions lost in the fgmembers vacuum!
I will try to review and merge your contributions if I can find any time, if no other guy beats me to it.
If you plan to work on this (or other aircraft) regularly, I'm sure you can get commit access to FGAddon in the near future.

Thanks and see u later
Jonarhan
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby Drdawidventer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks for helping me find that obscure knob to switch on the Nav Displays.... thought it was broken!
Drdawidventer

Postby Picun_1812 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:57 am

Why the intake deflectors can not be placed in Extend? Am I doing something wrong or are you just disabled? when taking off from unpaved runways I have suffered engine failures...Is it for that reason? :shock:
Picun_1812

Postby AVA117 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Picun_1812 wrote in Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:57 am:Why the intake deflectors can not be placed in Extend? Am I doing something wrong or are you just disabled? when taking off from unpaved runways I have suffered engine failures...Is it for that reason? :shock:

Are you putting the plane on maximum throttle for extended periods of time? Yeah, you shouldn't do that. It even warns you not to.
AVA117

Callsign: AS2002 AVA117 SPA695
IRC name: N/A
Version: Latest

Postby SurferTim » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 pm

First, I really like this aircraft. It is fun to fly. St. Barth airport is lots of fun!

However, I fly at night a lot. The overhead panel switch labels are not lit. I don't like flying with the interior lights on. If you turn them off, you can't read the switch labels. i can't find the ac file that contains the overhead switch labels. Anybody know where those are?
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby David25 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:46 am

Hello,

looking at the autostart sequence the engine start up seemes to be backwards, I'm a aircraft mechanic and I was instructed to start the engines farthest from the entrance door. this was done in case you have a engine fire you would not have to be passing close to the fire exiting the aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HESi7etVO4

David
David25

Postby SurferTim » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:02 pm

You can change the start order if you want. The startup sequence is in /Aircraft/dhc6/Nasal/systems.nas
Code: Select all
var Startup_yasim = func{

I've changed several things in my version. I found the engine noise pitch was controlled by the wrong lever (should be prop speed, not throttle). The parking brake should be set to 'on'. The interior instrument lights were a problem for night flight, and lack of ALS landing lights made night flight difficult. I have corrected all this so far, including an ALS taxi light that points in the direction of the nose wheel (that is where it is).

I also made a livery for my own airline (PirateAir). I may post my version some day.
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wlbragg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:47 pm

@SurferTim it would be really appreciated by the community if you made these fixes and upgrades available to the community.
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft