Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 pm

@Patten, lanbo64:
I am hoping you are planning on getting the updates to FGAddon in time till the next release (January 17?) so they will be available from the main download page. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby LRB_Aly » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Problem solved
Last edited by LRB_Aly on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LRB_Aly

Postby dg-505 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 am

Hi everyone :)

I've included some checklists, tutorials, and a help menu for the Twin Otter.
Please test and report any kind of questions, feedbacks, review, etc.

If it is accepted, maybe the current maintainer could include these things into release of the next version?

Get the package from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2wA-loaS2xnZlJpVlBsSEZBNkU&authuser=0

Regards,
Joni
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby Patten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for your efforts guys.

Congratulations. to erik, abassign, primtala2, lanbo64, and dg-505.

Uploaded in my hangar:

http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/dhc6- ... -otter.php

The aerostar Super 700 is also updated:

http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/aerostar700.php

Patten (PAF Team)
Patten

Callsign: Patten
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby abassign » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:50 am

Beautifull work :) Now would be a need to change hands at the ALS system to integrate it with Rembrandt, should technically possible, but it takes the skills non trivial :( The DHC-6 It also deserves this!
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby lanbo64 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14 am

Thank you Patten and all of you, I am happy to see the merging.

abassign, thank you, and your idea seems good. But honestly, I cannot touch the Rembrandt and any lighting system because my laptop handles it bad...

Actually, before Patten's merging, I kept twisting yasim and the PT6A-27 engines. I did a lot of dirty hack to the electronic system, icing system, intake deflector, and even heating system... LOL..........
So... I think I must slow down my hands, and think more, and then port my work to the latest Patten and dg-505's version now...

Bo
lanbo64

Postby lanbo64 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:23 am

Happy New Year Everyone,

Here is my lastest work:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktUG1abGRFRmdqSmc/view?usp=sharing

Bugs Fixed:
1) The fuel cutoff switchs now work again.

Compatible:
1) Compatible with PAF team's lastest upload and dg-505's help and checklist menus.

New features:
1) More realistic engines torques number. Engines' torque pressure now is influenced by IAS.
2) More realistic T5 temperature. It is influenced by OAT and altiude right now.
3) Pitot heat works, and we have to turn it on when OAT below 0 C degree. (You can try not to do that and see what happen loooooool)
4) Prop deice works, and we have to turn it on when OAT below 0 C degree. (You can try not to do that and see what happen loooooool)
5) Intake deflectors work. We have to turn them on if we land on dirt airstrips, snow airtrips, and grass airtrips. If not, the engines will fail, and the entire FG program needs to be reset. The float plane on water doesn't matter.
6) All heating system and intake deflectors will downgrade the torques, so turn them off if we do not need.
7) The No Smoking and Seat Bell light work. Turn them on all the time. However, the passengers will not burn the plane, so don't worry. If you look inside the cabin, you will see how they works.
8 ) The heading indicator now is a Directional Gyro. Adjust it to mag compass every 15 mins.

Known Bugs:
1) The directional gyro works not very well, but it will not influence short range flights, and I will try to write a real directional gyro for this plane, so in the future, it can fly grid track, great circle, and polar navigation.

Can't Test:
1) I cannot test something about graphical issues such as Rembrandt, because my computer cannot handle them well. Please accept my apology if my work break Patten and PAF team's Rembrandt improvement.
2) I cannot ensure if the icing and engines fails system are realistic or not, because I cannot find a guy who can damage his DHC6 for me. Just a joke, never mind.
lanbo64

Postby dg-505 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Great! Will try it immediately. I love this plane! :D :D
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

dg-505

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Can't get it to start up...? Even autostart. Even using tutorials.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby naplesAPF » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Can't start it either since you implemented new startup procedure, also autostart doesn't work either. Think because can't use fuel on/off slider, holding MMB doesn't work for me. Could you maybe just make it so that pressing the m key to turn on and M key to turn off. This is how the original dhc6 worked.
naplesAPF

Postby dg-505 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:06 am

Wonderful. Great work, lanbo64 and all the others!

I've got only the following issues:
1. When switching on the landing light, the whole thing looks weird. Like giant lightcones in the sky:
Don't know, weather this is because of my pc, or because i don't have rembrandt enabled, or anything else, or if it's simply a bug.

2. Thus, the first tutorial to work properly, you have to change the left limit of the Cockpit view (view n="0") to 160 deg (it is in the dhc6-base.xml, around line 32):
Code: Select all
<limits>
                <left>
                  <heading-max-deg type="double">160</heading-max-deg>
                </left>
 </limits>

3. There appears an error message in the console:
Code: Select all
Nasal parse error: illegal character in F:/FlightGear 2.12.1/data/Aircraft/dhc6/Nasal/torque.nas, line 20

I don't know, what's going wrong, if this error appears, cause i don't know anything about nasal. Just to mention it here for anyone who is familiar with it.

By the way: I've got no problems with the startup.
@naplesAPF: To push the condition forward, try clicking on the lever several times with MMB. Sometimes this works better.

@legoboyvdlp: Do you get any error messages in the console or logfile? Sometimes, this could be helpful...

If I find some time during the following days, I'm going to include the new features (pitot heat, prop deice, seatbelts/no smoking signs, etc.) into the tutorials and checklists.

dg-505

Postby lanbo64 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:46 am

Thank you for all of your reports.

1) The lighting issues are not my codes, I have never touch anything about lighting. It needs rembrandt to work properly, but my graphics card handle it bad, so I can't test it. Maybe PAF team can take a look on it.

2) torque.nas is my code, I will take a look on it. (Figured out: I used some dirty code on it, and may not be compatible with 2.12, I will fix it)

3) Engines startup procedure is my code, I will take a look on it.

4) autostart procedure is my code, I will take a look on it.

m and M key may not be fixed in short-term, because in this model, the engines will rich fuel if you push both conditionals forword before startup. I don't know how to push only one by using m and M at this time.
lanbo64

Postby lanbo64 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:36 am

Just a little quick fixed, without any new feature adding:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktYnlGMzcwOVFISWs/view?usp=sharing

bugs fixed:
1) torque.nas works well and would not send error message. Actually I could not reproduce this bug but I can guess where the code is wrong. Just guessing, so I need your report for this patch.
2) Keys binding added. j and k are for pushing left and right conditions forward respectively; J and K are for pulling back the left and right conditions respectively. (I use these two keys because in some other aircraft, these two are for speed brakes (or spoilers), and this aircraft does not have this thing. m and M are not a good resolution because we cannot push them both at the same time.)

I cannot reproduce the autostart bug, sorry. However, after clicking the autostart, we have to wait for about 30 seconds. The autostart is nothing more than doing the regular startup procedure step by step for us. Don't put your plane on dirt, grass, and snow airstrip when using autostart, because the autostart will not do intake deflector and the engines will fail.
Last edited by lanbo64 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lanbo64

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Ok. Thanks
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby lanbo64 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi all,

This time I wrote a new directional gyro drive. If you still like to do regular short range flight, you may not feel the change. In contrast, if you like to do some long range and polaris flights, you have to know grid track, transport rate, earth rate. In real world, there is a lot of companies operate DHC6 in polaris, and some of them even use ferry tank to do long range flight. Thus, a realistic directional gyro is very important. This is why I wrote this update.

If you like, take it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktVHVweUJkWnZKd2c/view?usp=sharing

If you don't even know what I am talking about, please watch:

We may not be able to count and calculate without using fingers, but this is not an excuse to refuse heading to everywhere in our world. LOL

Bo
lanbo64

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft