Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: DHC-6 Twin Otter development

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:49 pm

So, tried autostart, waited five minutes, the props spun, but nothing. The oil pressure light is on. How can I pump up oil pressure?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby lanbo64 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:49 pm:So, tried autostart, waited five minutes, the props spun, but nothing. The oil pressure light is on. How can I pump up oil pressure?

Thank you for your report. I am sorry about this glitch. I polished the autostart code again, and please try this one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktS3BQdFBHTmFKNG8/view?usp=sharing

The oil pressure is based on the engines, so you do not need to pump it up. If you can start both engines correctly, the oil pressure will not be a problem.

Bo
lanbo64

Postby naplesAPF » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Watched your long range nav vid. Its a great lesson. Guess I have to study up A Lot more before I can do this correctly.

Thanks for changing the fuel on/off to j and k keys, this helped me and now can start easily and quickly and don't even need autostart.

Also I know this is a minor thing but can't get the livery select to work to select different liveries. If you have time to check this, great, otherwise don't worry about it.

Thanks again, this is a really great plane and your work has just improved it.
naplesAPF

Postby lanbo64 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 pm

naplesAPF wrote in Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:46 pm:Watched your long range nav vid. Its a great lesson. Guess I have to study up A Lot more before I can do this correctly.

Thanks for changing the fuel on/off to j and k keys, this helped me and now can start easily and quickly and don't even need autostart.

Also I know this is a minor thing but can't get the livery select to work to select different liveries. If you have time to check this, great, otherwise don't worry about it.

Thanks again, this is a really great plane and your work has just improved it.

Thank you very much. I am happy you like it. However, I cannot reproduce the liveries bug, sorry. I have not touched any outside looking, lighting, or rembrandt thing. If you have any error log, please post here.
lanbo64

Postby tauchergreg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Hello lanbo64

for sound from ATIS please put this in /systems/instrumentation.xml

<comm-radio>
<name>comm</name>
<number>0</number>
</comm-radio>

<comm-radio>
<name>comm</name>
<number>1</number>
</comm-radio>

in the fuel-qty1.xml please use
<animation>
<type>rotate</type>
<object-name>FuelQTY.needle</object-name>
<property>consumables/fuel/tank[1]/level-lbs</property>

for fuelflow please change

<animation>
<type>rotate</type>
<object-name>FFneedle</object-name>
<property>engines/engine[..]/fuel-flow-gph</property>
<interpolation>
<entry><ind>0.0</ind><dep>0.0</dep></entry>
<entry><ind>20.000</ind><dep>90.0</dep></entry>
<entry><ind>50.000</ind><dep>255.0</dep></entry>

thanks for your great work on this wonderful dhc-6

best regrads
C160 Transall , Twin Otter DHC6, both with small modification
EF2000
ETMN & EDXN under development
tauchergreg

Callsign: OFD001 ; BRT0192
Version: 20xx

Postby lanbo64 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Thank you very much, I will do that later today, and upload it. :D
Last edited by Johan G on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Do not quote entire posts, please.
lanbo64

Postby lanbo64 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktcTN5WU5sdUlQMzg/view?usp=sharing

Thank for tauchergreg's good effort. This is the latest one. Fuel flow, comm radio, fuel quantity are all fixed. I also integrated the Garmin 196. And fixed a little glitch of heading indicator.

Bo
lanbo64

Postby abassign » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Is nice, but there is a problem with Garmin :( When I switch oh and press enter, start to display the map, but the frame rate immediately reduce (from 20 fps to 7-9 fps) end when the map is refreshed the program stop a moment... I not remember this problem, with DR400 ! My FGFS is 3.5 ... If I do stop the Garmin, immediately the program goes ok.

I try to activate, in the file preferences.xml, the multithreading option:
<multithreading-mode>AutomaticSelection</multithreading-mode>
But the problem remain :(

I try with DR400 and I found the identical problem... :( :(

With Rembrandt or without the problem is identical...

I think the problem is related between Garmin and 3.5 FGFS but is not clear.

A little consideration:
I think it would be better to have the Garmin with an option from the menu, it's really nice to fly with this airplane in the vintage configuration and in that case the Garmin is not nice to see ...

Beautiful work!
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby lanbo64 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 am

abassign wrote in Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:14 pm:
A little consideration:
I think it would be better to have the Garmin with an option from the menu, it's really nice to fly with this airplane in the vintage configuration and in that case the Garmin is not nice to see ...

Beautiful work!

Thank you for your report.

I still need times to learn how to write menu option.

Garmin 196 is a little buggy in 3.5. Here is the version without Garmin https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TXYE8yc_ktdG0yZGtWbEdLNWM/view?usp=sharing

I personally don't use GPS in FlightGear though...
lanbo64

Postby Patten » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:13 pm

abassign wrote in Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:14 pm:Is nice, but there is a problem with Garmin :( When I switch oh and press enter, start to display the map, but the frame rate immediately reduce (from 20 fps to 7-9 fps) end when the map is refreshed the program stop a moment... I not remember this problem, with DR400 ! My FGFS is 3.5 ... If I do stop the Garmin, immediately the program goes ok.

I try to activate, in the file preferences.xml, the multithreading option:
<multithreading-mode>AutomaticSelection</multithreading-mode>
But the problem remain :(

I try with DR400 and I found the identical problem... :( :(

With Rembrandt or without the problem is identical...

I think the problem is related between Garmin and 3.5 FGFS but is not clear.

A little consideration:

Beautiful work!

Hi,

Since April 2014, there is a problem with Garmin:

My hangar is updated with the Twin Otter DHC6-300 with which I fly:

Some screens shots and more...

http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/dhc6- ... -otter.php

lambo64, thanks for your paint kit, no-smoking box is textured ;-).
Patten

Callsign: Patten
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby abassign » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm

I made the change in order to appear and disappear GPS :) I hope it can be inserted and if played well can be used to change the instrumentation of DHC6 depending on the needs and wishes of the pilot.

Modify the ../systems/options.xml by insertin a new check-box:

Code: Select all
   <checkbox>
        <halign>left</halign>
        <label>Advanced avionics</label>
        <property>sim/model/show-hide-advanced-avionics</property>
        <binding>
            <command>dialog-apply</command>
        </binding>
    </checkbox>

At the end of file: ...Models/flightdeck.xml modify the garmin196 section:

<model>
      <path>Aircraft/Instruments-3d/garmin196/garmin196.xml</path>
      <offsets>
   <x-m>-3.89</x-m>
   <y-m>-0.14</y-m>
   <z-m>0.7</z-m>
      </offsets>
      <condition>
   <property>sim/model/show-hide-advanced-avionics</property>
      </condition>
    </model>

The option in the check-box is general (show-hide-advanced-avionics) that way you could add other instruments of more recent construction and remove instruments obsolete for obtain a complete different configuration.

For the performance problem I notice this:
When the aircraft is stationary on the runway, the coordinates displayed by Garmin (and therefore also the map) change in a very marked mode, this could be the reason of slowing down the system, due to the need to reload the data that normally should not be recharged and calculated. So the problem may be related to interfacing with reading of the coordinate system inserted in the property-tree.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby lanbo64 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:54 pm

abassign wrote in Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm:
For the performance problem I notice this:
When the aircraft is stationary on the runway, the coordinates displayed by Garmin (and therefore also the map) change in a very marked mode, this could be the reason of slowing down the system, due to the need to reload the data that normally should not be recharged and calculated. So the problem may be related to interfacing with reading of the coordinate system inserted in the property-tree.

I can confirm this problem, but I don't know how to fix it. In my build, only the Garmin change super fast, but the FlightGear built-in map is okay. I guess the reason is that, this aircraft model actually "moves" very frequently when you set the parking brake, but our eyes will not feel it, but the Garmin will reflect very single tiny "moving". If I decrease the main wheels static friction in the DHC6 Yasim, this bad situation will become better. However, the parking brake and the static friction is very important for DHC6 due to its powerful PT6-27 engines may push the aircraft even in idle.

We may see that, if when you fly or taxi, lag or bad performance of Garmin will be automatically gone.
lanbo64

Postby lanbo64 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Patten wrote in Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:13 pm:My hangar is updated with the Twin Otter DHC6-300 with which I fly:

Some screens shots and more...

http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/dhc6- ... -otter.php

lambo64, thanks for your paint kit, no-smoking box is textured ;-).

Thank you so much, I am happy you like it.

I have tried your build. I completely understand that you may not like something such as engines failures :mrgreen: . Forcing to turn on intake deflectors and heaters is not a good solution, because they will downgrade the engines.

Here is my suggestion:

By preventing from engines failures, you can mark (or delete) the following lines from dhc6-base.xml:
<!--      
<file>Aircraft/dhc6/Nasal/failures.nas</file>
-->

Bo
lanbo64

Postby Philosopher » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:17 am

Does this Garmin use MapStructure? (sorry not going to download it right now...)
Philosopher

Postby Patten » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:31 am

lanbo64 wrote in Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:01 pm:Thank you so much, I am happy you like it.

I have tried your build. I completely understand that you may not like something such as engines failures :mrgreen: . Forcing to turn on intake deflectors and heaters is not a good solution, because they will downgrade the engines.

Here is my suggestion:

By preventing from engines failures, you can mark (or delete) the following lines from dhc6-base.xml:
<!--      
<file>Aircraft/dhc6/Nasal/failures.nas</file>
-->

Bo

Hi,

I have no problem with inkate deflectors or with engines failures, but everyone does not come on this forum to be aware of the improvements.

So everything will return to normal when the tutorial take this into account ...

I have more trouble with your ias management (speed gestion with AP, "pitch-for-speed"), I preserved the older for me for the moment...

New sounds of doors opening and closing, and warning for passengers (no-smoking, seat-selt).

Regards

Christian
Patten

Callsign: Patten
Version: 2018.2.0

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft