Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Announcing NEW Boeing 777 'Seattle' - Pre-Release

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Announcing NEW Boeing 777 'Seattle' - Pre-Release

Postby eatdirt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi there,
I have some problems with latest version from fgaddon and 2019.2.0 on the radio settings. When I turn the radio knob, sometime it jumps by 10kHz instead of 5kHz, which makes some frequencies impossible to set!? If I go to the menu Radio Equipment, and enter the right freq. by hand, the same happens. It is modified to some value which is either greater by +5kHz or -5kHz.
In practice, I cannot set the ATIS LIMF freq. which is 120.470, it gets rounded to 120.465 !?? Someone seeing this too?

Thanks.
Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Isaak » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi Chris, the 777 uses the standard 8.33 khz radios. When you tune 120.475 you'll be able to listen out the atis. The 25 khz separated radios in the radio freq dialog in FG ommit the last digit. There was something wrong with the conversion though, I'd have to check the mailinglist to see where we are standing on that.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Ah, thanks!
Whatever the reason is, I do not manager to hear the ATIS, although volume and channel seems to be fine cockpit-wise and also within the sound-configuration menu. I am not very experienced with plane though, that could be another reason :)
eatdirt

Postby Isaak » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Did you activate the right channel? You have to press (left click) the volume button of the right channel on the left upper radio panel in the 3D cockpit to be able to hear ATIS. (Use Ctrl+C to highlight the clickable buttons)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby eatdirt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Arf! Thanks, I did... but I was not patient enough, it came out after a few seconds delay... but that works indeed, sorry!

Great, I can set my QNH, at last :)
eatdirt

Postby AAL545 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 am

Isaak,
Sidi is right!
Do NOT have the A/T change the autothrottle mode - that will cause severe problems with the autoflight system. A/T tightly connected to APFD.

Instead, just have it switch off A/T and then idle it.

Be very careful with modifying A/P related stuff - it is much more complex than might be expected ;)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Octal450

First of all great job on this aircraft, please keep it up!!!

So that makes sense because if I press e, or in my case I have it mapped to my yoke, I will press my disable A/T from my yoke and just before touchdown the A/T is active again, GO AROUND! Not good.
Before this feature I disabled the A/T buttons with my mouse, I don't like this when landing at night because I always fly with real time so I have to hit Ctrl c, check the buttons and if they are off I hit Ctrl c again.
Why can't it be set up like a real B777, I have watched Youtube videos and they only disable A/T from the throttle without touching the A/T buttons, or am I wrong?

Two more questions!
Why is it that my thrust reverser sometimes won't work, I can be at my exit point and it'll start working, a little late!!!

Different topic.
Maybe my metar settings or something isn't set just right, if I land at lets say KLAX, my QNH is set for KLAX but that's not the weather my aircraft is detecting, it's an airport southeast of KLAX and the wind direction is always different.
There are other airports where I experience this same issue, anything I can do?

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby Isaak » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 am

AAL545 wrote in Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 am:First of all great job on this aircraft, please keep it up!!!

So that makes sense because if I press e, or in my case I have it mapped to my yoke, I will press my disable A/T from my yoke and just before touchdown the A/T is active again, GO AROUND! Not good.
Before this feature I disabled the A/T buttons with my mouse, I don't like this when landing at night because I always fly with real time so I have to hit Ctrl c, check the buttons and if they are off I hit Ctrl c again.
Why can't it be set up like a real B777, I have watched Youtube videos and they only disable A/T from the throttle without touching the A/T buttons, or am I wrong?

This issue is something I detected too, but didn't find out what causes it. It is tied to the Flight Director. If you disable the FD (early enough) it won't happen. I'm afraid I don't know how to fix this, any pointers are appreceated.

Two more questions!
Why is it that my thrust reverser sometimes won't work, I can be at my exit point and it'll start working, a little late!!!

Be sure that you don't deploy them too early, the main gear must be firmly on the ground before they deploy. I don't encounter this issue myself.

Different topic.
Maybe my metar settings or something isn't set just right, if I land at lets say KLAX, my QNH is set for KLAX but that's not the weather my aircraft is detecting, it's an airport southeast of KLAX and the wind direction is always different.
There are other airports where I experience this same issue, anything I can do?

AAL4955

This is the default weather code. It picks the METAR from the nearest airport and only updates every 30-60 seconds or so. This means that you might be closer to KLAX than to the other airport but your weather hasn't updated yet. There is a proposal to increase the update rate to e.g. every 10 seconds to improve it, but I don't know where we stand on that.
Isaak

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 am

It was merged on August 28 and currently in the nightly - should be in the next release
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Isaak » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:33 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 am:It was merged on August 28 and currently in the nightly - should be in the next release

I guess this is about the weather code? Great news!
Isaak

Postby AAL545 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm

If you disable the FD (early enough) it won't happen.

Okay I'll give that a try.

Be sure that you don't deploy them too early, the main gear must be firmly on the ground before they deploy. I don't encounter this issue myself.

Okay thanks , next time!!

This is the default weather code. It picks the METAR from the nearest airport and only updates every 30-60 seconds or so. This means that you might be closer to KLAX than to the other airport but your weather hasn't updated yet. There is a proposal to increase the update rate to e.g. every 10 seconds to improve it, but I don't know where we stand on that.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:14 am:
It was merged on August 28 and currently in the nightly - should be in the next release

So it should be in the 2019.1.1 release?
That is what I am currently on.

Thanks
AAL4955
AAL545

Postby AAL545 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 am

If you disable the FD (early enough) it won't happen.

Okay this works thanks.

I waited like you suggested but same result.

The other issue I'm having now on this new release is it seems FG 2019.1.1 doesn't like .gpx format, you see I sometimes use SkyVector to create a route amd save it .fgfs/export and then load it in the route manager,
everything is okay until I reach cruising altitude and then a few minutes later my mach speed drops to zero, the only way I can complete my flight is to keep it on IAS speed, weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted the above in the EDDF - triangle but better suited here.
I just did a test flight from KMEM to KLAX and same result, mach speed drops to zero a few minutes after reaching cruising altitude. B777 downloaded from launcher!!!!

Someone requested some logs, now what?

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Isaak, is the fuel burn anywhere close to what it should be? I'm seeing 18000 lbs / hour here, and well - I'm going to have an awful long way to swim to Shannon!

I took an extra ten tonnes expecting delays, but its still about 20 tonnes short already.
Just wondering if its a limitation of yasim or whether there might be a figure that could be changed somewhere?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby AAL545 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 pm

The other issue I'm having now on this new release is it seems FG 2019.1.1 doesn't like .gpx format, you see I sometimes use SkyVector to create a route amd save it .fgfs/export and then load it in the route manager,
everything is okay until I reach cruising altitude and then a few minutes later my mach speed drops to zero, the only way I can complete my flight is to keep it on IAS speed, weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just did another test last night from KMEM to KLAX using standard FG route and did not have an issue!!

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby Isaak » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:10 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:09 pm:Isaak, is the fuel burn anywhere close to what it should be? I'm seeing 18000 lbs / hour here, and well - I'm going to have an awful long way to swim to Shannon!

I took an extra ten tonnes expecting delays, but its still about 20 tonnes short already.
Just wondering if its a limitation of yasim or whether there might be a figure that could be changed somewhere?

Which 777 are you using? I'm seeing an average of about 19500 lbs/hr in my logbook of over 600 flights with the 300ER (that includes climb and descent, so not strictly the cruise fuel flow). The fuel burn depends on gross weight, altitude and temperature. It will be lower later in the flight when the craft is lighter and you probably did one or more step climbs. I didn't compare those numbers yet to real life because I never touched the yasim part of it, but if it 's not right we should change it. A quick search on google shows me a cruise fuel flow of about 16500 lbs/hr at FL300, but that doesn't include the weight factor.

@AAL: I almost always fly with gpx flight plans from skyvector.m but didn't encounter it except for that one occasion about a year ago. Do you fill in the cruise speed and level in the Route Manager? Could you describe all the specific steps you do regarding the autopilot up to moment it happens? E.g. what do you enter in the RM, what modifications do you do to the flight plan, what AP modes do you use... We should be able to find out what you do differently than me that avoids me from reproducing this bug.

Edit: Ibuse FG 2019.2 nightly, maybe it is a FG bug that got fixed after 2019.1?

Sorry for not replying so fast, I'm very busy with work and barely did any work on the 777 in the last 4 months.

Kind regards,

Isaak
Isaak

Postby AAL545 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Do you fill in the cruise speed and level in the Route Manager?

I don't touch the cruise speed, I believe the default is 320 kts so I leave as is but I enter the cruising altitude.

Could you describe all the specific steps you do regarding the autopilot up to moment it happens? E.g. what do you enter in the RM, what modifications do you do to the flight plan, what AP modes do you use... We should be able to find out what you do differently than me that avoids me from reproducing this bug.

Before taxi I look at takeoff ref, so I manually dial in the ref speed + approx 5% IAS, next step I enable L & R A/T, FD on, next step I dial my VS to about + 1500, I don't enable VNAV, this way I control the amount of thrust via my throttle.
Note; the reason I do it this way is if I take off heavy, lets say from EDDF to KJFK (or further) I can control the amount of thrust and reach my cruising altitude sooner. ( I know in real life this is probably not recommended to avoid over thrust).
I fly manually (because I like to and for practice) up to about 1/2 way of the cruising altitude, then I enable LNAV, enable A/T, then AP mode if I'm lined up on my route and my VS is in line with the FD indicator, then enable FLCH,
finally but not always I'll enable VNAV, and of course QNH to standard when over FL 180.

what modifications do you do to the flight plan,

When landing at KLAX west bound the charts have 7 or 8 waypoints you need to enter, (using Skyvector.com) but sometimes the RM will select the default STAR and this conflicts with the waypoints from Skyvector so I remove some of the default waypoints so that everything is westbound. And that should be it!!!!
Again, I've done these steps now for almost a year without an issue until now on FG 2019.1.1.

AAL4955
AAL545

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft