Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A340-600HGW (download at the first post)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: A340-600HGW (download at the first post)

Postby surpii » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 am

The aircraft is great! It now has a much more realistic landing speed.

And I didn't experience the sudden uncontrollable flip up that happened in a previous version.

At this moment, the only problem that I have found is the autopilot and making turns: It does not follow the path to the next waypoint as precisely as some other aircraft such as the 777. But that issue is evident in lots of FG aircrafts.

I will test the aircraft again later. I have not tested the ILS autopilot yet, or the autoland. I only flew from Madrid to Lisbon, so no long distance flights yet.
surpii

Postby Andino » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 pm

The ILS is not developed yet. Its only funcition now is to show/hide the landing path.

Yes, I will review the question with the turns. By now, it depends on the speed. If the plane is flying at high speed, the turn is not so sharp. When the speed is low, the turn can be more pronounced. For flying at long distances, it is recommended not to use very close waypoints, but leave a distance between them, about 50 miles.

Thank you for the feedback. I will upload a new version soon, only correcting minor bugs.
Andino

Postby Benny-DLH130 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:07 pm

HI

@Andino: Do you want to insert the Light-Corrections that I´ve done, again ?

I believe in the latest version they were at the wrong positions like in your first realease ;-)

greetz
Benny-DLH130

Callsign: (AirlineICAO)-130 /
Version: 3.4

Postby Andino » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Can you send them again, please. I was away from FG during the winter, and changed the computer. I am not able to find the corrections.

Thank you very much.
Andino

Postby surpii » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 am

I've tested the aircraft again, this time on a long distance flight. :)

*The aircraft flew a long way off its intended waypoint! It flew 200nm of course on a 4000nm track between waypoints. But this was a rare occurence because at other times, it went to the planned waypoints.

*I felt that the stall speed was too low when landing. At full flaps, I was able to fly at 120 knots. The jet had full passengers and cargo. I am no expert on the A340-600, but I'm sure that 120 knots is below stall speed for most large passenger jets, especially one that is as big as the A340-600.

*The low stall speed meant that I was unable to flare because the jet would remain in the air despite the very low speed.

-The A330 seems to float like a bat towards the runway during landing, with its nose raised. (I hope you can visualise what I mean) I think the A340-600 does that too.

Maybe this can be created by increasing the stall speed?

*The plane felt like a big, heavy A340-600. I think this is a big improvement on the previous version. I enjoyed how heavy it felt, but this is just a personal opinion.
surpii

Postby Andino » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 am

I've tested the aircraft again, this time on a long distance flight. :)

Thank you a lot!

*The aircraft flew a long way off its intended waypoint! It flew 200nm of course on a 4000nm track between waypoints. But this was a rare occurence because at other times, it went to the planned waypoints.

I am not able to reproduce this situation. When the distance between waypoints is big, the airplane seems to be off course, because of the difference between the plain map and the roundness of the earth, but at the end it meets the waypoint. May be that was what happened.

*I felt that the stall speed was too low when landing. At full flaps, I was able to fly at 120 knots. The jet had full passengers and cargo. I am no expert on the A340-600, but I'm sure that 120 knots is below stall speed for most large passenger jets, especially one that is as big as the A340-600.

I am working on this. I have to find out the real numbers in real life.

*The low stall speed meant that I was unable to flare because the jet would remain in the air despite the very low speed.

New version, due today or tomorrow has this solved.

-The A330 seems to float like a bat towards the runway during landing, with its nose raised. (I hope you can visualise what I mean) I think the A340-600 does that too.

I am not sure about this.

*The plane felt like a big, heavy A340-600. I think this is a big improvement on the previous version. I enjoyed how heavy it felt, but this is just a personal opinion.

Thank you a lot. New version today or tomorrow wil behave better, although not everything is solved.
Andino

Postby Benny-DLH130 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 am

Hi
here are the light-corrections again ;-)

you can insert (inside the "A340-600HGW-avion.xml") the following under the Topic <!--navigation-->:

Code: Select all
<model>
<path>Aircraft/A340-600HGW/Models/lights/GreenLight.xml</path>
<name>Greenlight</name>     
<offsets>
<x-m> 7.1</x-m>
<y-m> 29.5</y-m>
<z-m>  1</z-m>       
</offsets>
</model>

<model>
<path>Aircraft/A340-600HGW/Models/lights/RedLight.xml</path>
<name>Redlight</name>     
<offsets>
<x-m> 7.1</x-m>
<y-m>-29.5</y-m>
<z-m>  1</z-m>     
</offsets>
</model>

<!--Strobe-->

<model>
<path>Aircraft/A340-600HGW/Models/lights/flash.xml</path>
<name>flashright</name>     
<offsets>
<x-m> 7.1</x-m>
<y-m> 29.7</y-m>
<z-m>  1</z-m>       
</offsets>
</model>

<model>
<name>flashleft</name>     
<offsets>
<x-m> 7.1</x-m>
<y-m>-29.7</y-m>
<z-m>  1</z-m>   
</offsets>
</model>

<model>
<name>flashtop</name>     
<offsets>
<x-m>-28.40</x-m>
<y-m>0.000</y-m>
<z-m>3.250</z-m>   
</offsets>
</model>
Benny-DLH130

Callsign: (AirlineICAO)-130 /
Version: 3.4

Postby Andino » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Thank you very much!
Andino

Postby Andino » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 pm

There is a new version ready for download. It includes:

- Some corrections of the flps, more realistic now.
- Some changes in the autopilot.
- Benny's light positions.
Andino

Postby surpii » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 am

The autopilot has some problems. If you add a new waypoint during the flight, the autopilot becomes useless.

I added a new waypoint because I use official charts for the approach. After adding the waypoint, the LNAV stopped working and I could not turn it on/off; it remained 'on' even though it was not working. The vertical speed dial also stopped working.

Adding a new waypoint also makes the aircraft go off track. The aircraft will remain on the heading when you changed the waypoint, and will continue on that heading. That is why I was off track on my previous test flights.
surpii

Postby Andino » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 am

You are right. After a sleepless night, I think the problem is solved.

You can download the new version.

Thank you very much for the feedback!
Andino

Postby surpii » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 am

Yes, that problem has been fixed now. I have just completed a flight from Buenos Aires to Melbourne :D I reached 75 degrees South where it is permanently dark at this time of the year.

I added a waypoint late in the flight to make the approach according to the official charts (about 500nm from the destination). I will make another flight soon, but I will add new waypoints early in the flight to test the changes.

Also, I loved how the autopilot jumps to the next waypoint early, just like the 777.

I touched down at about 130-140 kts.
surpii

Postby Andino » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 am

Thank you for the feedback!

There is also a good new. BRT virtual airlines (http://brtvirtualairlines.org) has included the A340-600HGW in its fleet.

BRT has acquired 5 planes, with codes UR-CWA, UR-CWX, UR-CWY, UR-CWZ and UR-CWW.

Andino

Postby patstan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:46 pm

A340 is not bad, but compared to the A320 and A330 series, there is quiet a lot of work to be done. Some of these include but not limited to integrating the fly-by-wire system which is not fully functional yet and improving the cockpit and general body works.

This has been in development for like 5+ years as far as im aware and it is quiet slow. I can understand that developers have limited time.
patstan

Callsign: patstan
Version: 3.0

Postby Andino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:04 am

patstan wrote in Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:46 pm:A340 is not bad, but compared to the A320 and A330 series, there is quiet a lot of work to be done. Some of these include but not limited to integrating the fly-by-wire system which is not fully functional yet and improving the cockpit and general body works.

This has been in development for like 5+ years as far as im aware and it is quiet slow. I can understand that developers have limited time.

Thank you for the comment. This plane was developed by Liam Gathercole, but he abandoned FG time ago. I only try to develop it a bit more. I started a year ago, but I only could work during the holidays. Mostly, I do this for my own entertainment and for sharing it with people who like A340 and FG.

My opinion of A330 is very high, and I do not pretend to reach that level, at least not without help. On the other side, I think that the A320 family has some flaws that the A340 has already overcome.

But this is not about comparing or competing. It is about people who freely try to develop non commercial stuff to share freely with others. And any help is welcome!
Andino

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft