Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New historically realistic Sopwith Camel JSBSim FDM released

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: New historically realistic Sopwith Camel JSBSim FDM rele

Postby Bomber » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Alan, I've took a look at that document.....

It does have some good stuff, but like all documents/information it's a case of sifting through it to determine what's correct and what's not.... and that's not me just being picky about what data I wish to use or not..

For instance, there's a cut away graphic which shows the pressure and gravity tank behind the pilots chair... this clears up this for me.
There's also a statement as to the weight of the guns and I think he's got this wrong, having not removed the water weight but taken a standard ground forces weight.

Also which is the hardest to accept is the lift to drag values coming out of his model testing... they're not exactly a confidence builder that the rest of the values are correct.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't think of your shuttle as a plane...

It usually goes by spaceplane, so maybe you should adapt your thinking? Admittedly I don't really see why how you think about the Space Shuttle has any relevance whatsoever for a question of computational aerodynamics.

But in any case, note that I actually presented the general argument before as all [planes] for which there's windtunnel data for the whole body of the aircraft. - and only then I brought the Shuttle as a particular example.

So the argument stands - the problem you mention is one of your way to set up the computation, lots of other planes in the repository never have it but solve that problem automatically. Which means by solving it you're not better than the others, you're just reaching their level conceptually.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Alant wrote in Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm:This 1933 NACA report http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1934/naca-report-458.pdf may help you in estimating the interaction between the wings. You could also search for any of the reports given in the list of references.

I'm gonna need to sit down to read this as it's a little heavy..

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Alan,

If by more luck than jugdgement I manage to knock up a spreadsheet that calculates the values of K1 and K2 from the stagger, cord, gap, thickness, would you be up for giving it the once over ?

Simon
Bomber

Postby Alant » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Will try. Please put some comments on the spreadsheet so that I can see how the spreadsheet data relates to the equations, tables and figures in the paper.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Bomber » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi Alan, I've completed the spreadsheet..

Could you pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Regards

Simon
Bomber

Postby xen_steda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Hello, is this airplane still under development? Every time I load the plane the left wheel starts off broken and repairing it results in it becoming broken instantly. This is the JSBSim version. Thanks for any information.
xen_steda

Previous

Return to Aircraft