Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab 37 Viggen

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Saab JA-37 Viggen Development

Postby Lydiot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Maybe the slower acceleration I thought I saw was due to it being heavier then.
Lydiot

Postby Necolatis » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Version 3.105 has been released to hangar and FGAddon.

Highlights
    Afterburner now light up the rear of the plane (done by Firefly)
    Cockpit panels and canopy had a makeover. (done by Firefly)
    Increased fidelity of master warnings and indicators so they now work more like the manual describes.
    Many various fixes and improvements.

As usual, the full changelog is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NikolaiVChr/flightgear-saab-ja-37-viggen/master/Aircraft/JA37/changelog.txt
Last edited by Necolatis on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:06 pm

For some reason, it kept slowing down for me when I was flying level.
It took off okay, but later on I had to put it in a dive to stay airborne.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Necolatis » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Happens sometimes to me also, then I remember to switch thrust reversing off. Maybe that was your problem also? Its Backspace.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Müller » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Necolatis,
Thank you for updates on this beautiful aircraft, I downloaded this new version but have not had time to fly.
I thank also the Firefly
:)
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:24 am

The lightmap for the AB is pretty :-)
Thorsten

Postby 5H1N0B1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Impressive. I like the new HUD ! :)
5H1N0B1
"Each day, with every person you meet, there is something to learn"
5H1N0B1

Callsign: 5H1N0B1
IRC name: _5H1N0B1
Version: GIT

Postby PINTO » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:02 pm

One of my favorite planes just got a whole lot better. =] Thanks for the hard work!
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby PINTO » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:55 am

I'm kinda sorta working on adding the RB 99 to the Viggen. I need to model the aerodynamics, and get the model to show up on the pylon. But I did have a successful lock-on and fire.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby Necolatis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:31 pm

PINTO wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:55 am:I'm kinda sorta working on adding the RB 99 to the Viggen. I need to model the aerodynamics, and get the model to show up on the pylon. But I did have a successful lock-on and fire.

Cool. :)
Do know though that the RB-99 was not available to this Viggen. It was introduced to the JA37C and JA37D (the ones with glass cockpit) and they in turn no longer had the RB-24.

If you need help finding your way around the code, just ask.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby PINTO » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Any advice on getting the RB-99 submodels to load when selected through the Fuel and Payload dialogue box? I'm seeing the model after I actually fire the missile, but not when it's just sitting on the pylon. I'm not seeing where the RB-24J's are being loaded from either.
I'm currently using the AIM-120 model from Richard's F-15.

EDIT: to say, you definitely know this plane far better than I do. I saw in the readme where you had said you've spent 1,500 hours on the Viggen, and I was wowed. Very impressed with it.
The reason I decided to undertake this was that in the Todo, there was an item for putting longer-range missiles on the Viggen, and after some cursory research, it looked like the RB-99 was the best candidate. Also, the longer range would be lovely when dogfighting with the KSUU Crew.

PINTO

Postby Necolatis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Yeah, well its fine, the HUD already have features that only was present in the JA37Di variant.
It would most likely be painted in fully green. As can be seen here (the inner pylons): http://www.airvectors.net/avvig.html

The RB24s are built into the main plane model (ja37.ac).

What you should do is look into how the M70 are put on, thats the best way to do it, and some time in the future I will probably convert the RB24s to use that system instead.
Look at the file Models\Armament\Weapons\M70\rocketPod.xml for loading the missile.
Look at line 2492 in Models\JA37-Viggen.xml there you will see how it is included. Notice how the in the select animation JSBSim weight decides if they should be shown or not. Add the RB99 in the same manner, one model and one select animation for each pylon. Should automatically work for MP also.

Then you have to look at line 1034 in JA37-Viggen-set.xml and include the missile in the same way the other armament is included, make sure to use precisely the same weight as in the select animation you added.

Then in Nasal\ja37.nas at line 252 there is a if statement for the RB24, make a else statement after it that works in a similar way for RB99.
In the same file at line 308 there is an ifels statement for RB24, make one for RB99 and make sure you use the exact weight that you used earlier.
In still the same file at line 824 you should make sure that it gives another message when you fire the RB99, but from the look of your screenshot it looks like you already did that. :)

At line 1918 in Nasal/hud.nas there is an ifels for the different weapons, to tell the hud range indicator of the of their minimum and maximum range. Add the RB99 there.
Line 1706 in the same file makes the HUD show what kind of weapon is selected, add the RB99 there.

At line 707 in ja37-aerodynamics.xml is a table with the weights and the drag of what is mounted on the pylon, add a line for the weight and the the drag you estimate (not the same as the drag for the rb99 in the aim-9 code, as that is factored onto another factor (is why its 1 for rb24 and 2 for M70), so look at the numbers already there and make an estimate). There is 3 more tables like that underneath, one for each pylon.

I might have forgotten something, but that should get you started.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby PINTO » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:21 am

First things first, thank you for that incredibly detailed write up! I had cobbled together about half of it, so you've helped quite a bit.

This url: http://www.airvectors.net/avvig.html is quite amazing. Based on that, it looks like the RB 71 would be more correct for the period of this JA-37, right? I've switched over from the RB 99 to the RB 71, and am using the AIM-7 model that comes with Richard's F-15. Haven't done any FDM work or texture work on the missile yet, so no harm no foul.

Also, from that website, comes this image:

I believe those are the RB 24's and the RB 71's, right? If so, should the pylons be adjusted, and add 2 more to accommodate the RB 71's? If my understanding is correct (and it may not be, sorry), the inner fuselage and outer wing pylons would carry the RB 24's, with the RB 71's on the inner wing pylons. I haven't even looked at adjusting/adding pylons to the JA-37, but was curious if I was thinking about this correctly, and if some pylon work was necessary.

I implemented the model based on how you did the M70, made sure all the weights were correct, and the model loaded! Albeit in slightly the wrong spot... but that's okay. That's an easy tweak.

So, anywho, thanks!

EDIT: Got an action shot with the RB 71's (tried to copy the pic from that one site haha). They are integrated/modelled/whatever, but they aren't chasing after a target after I fire them. Right now, the act as dumbfires, and simply fly to the ground (I am using a aim-7.nas for them, but not sure if that's loading). I can get weak/strong lock in the HUD with them equipped, however. Once that's fixed, they're fully integrated.

PINTO

Postby Necolatis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Yes, RB71 is more correct.

You are correct, its missing a set of pylons, but not easy to fix without messing with the landing gear I think.

You shouldn't need to make a seperate aim-7 file, the aim-9 file should be able to fire different kind of missiles with small modifications.

I believe the RB71, should use the radar lock to steer after, until coming close to the target, then it will switch to its onboard radar for the last part, but that will take a little more coding to do.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby PINTO » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:49 pm

I found that the reason that tracking was failing was because the missile was going over it's max-g limit almost immediately after being fired.
I fiddled with the numbers, and got it to where it would track, but according to the nasal script, it's pulling ~50 g's while making very minor turns. Not really sure where to go from here, but personally I'm happy with where it's at.

PINTO

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft