Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab 37 Viggen

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Saab 37 Viggen Development

Postby PINTO » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Press ctrl-b to activate the speedbrakes in the latest version. Reverse thrust now only works on the ground. Otherwise, just plan time it takes to slow down into your approach. You can drop the gear (which also activates the flaps) at ~320 knots, and that extra drag comes in really handy for slowing you down.

You can also do a VRIAB/overhead approach if you want to come in fast.

IRL there was a turn planned ~10nm out from the airport to help slow down and align the TILS. In the latest FG version, if you have your destination plugged in to the route manager, look for the big white circle on the radar screen tangential to the runway line.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Necolatis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 am

I was going to do a landing tutorial on youtube, but since I haven't yet, here is a short procedure for normal landings:

In no particular order do these:
1: get the barometer QFE from the ATC tower and set it.
2: be sure the active waypoint in the Route manager is set to the correct airport and runway.
3: use the switch LANDING MODE, or hit 'Y'
4: Tune into ILS. [optional]
5: Engage reverse thrust if you want it to engage auto when you land.
6: Adjust the approach length on the left panel with the switch APPROACH. 5.4 or 10.8 Nmiles.
7: Click the button 15.5 for short runways.

Notice there is now shown altitude lines on HUD and radar, start descending to align to them and aim for hitting tangentially the circle shown on radar Pinto talks about. When you hit the approach circle, you are supposed to be at 550Km/h or 297 Kt and 500m/1640ft above the airport, and you just follow the circle around keeping that speed. The approach circle is always 4.1 Km radius. For short approaches you will then immediately start descending when you hit the approach line, and for long approaches you will follow that line until half (5.4 NM out) and then start descending. The HUD will show the 2.86 deg descent line when you hit that 10 Km mark, which of-course fits, since there is 10000m left to touchdown and you are 500m above it, so a 1:20 slope. Notice though that that same line will start to indicate maximum sink rate (2.8 m/s) below 15m (or 35m if radar altimeter is off), so when that happens be sure to keep the flight path indicator above or on the line when that happens to not risk stress the landing gears, but still below the horizon so you don't overshoot. You will notice when that happens if u keep your eyes peeled on the HUD, the line will do a 'jump' and no longer be fixed, and at the same time if ILS/glideslope is set, it will no longer follow that, so last part is always a non aided (except for sink rate) visual landing. Also notice that the HUD will before descent when in landing mode assist you in hitting the 550Km/h speed, by moving the 'tail' on the flight path indicator. That same tail will during descent help you keep your AoA (9-12 or 15.5 if that button is engaged).

And btw. the speedbrakes are not modeled in 3D, only inside the FDM for now so you wont see them, but if extended that will be shown in left indicator panel.
Last edited by Necolatis on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Necolatis » Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 am

Okay, I have sorta decided that I wont no longer keep the Viggen backwards compatible.
Don't expect the new Viggen in FGAddon/QT-launcher to work with older versions anymore.
I will at some point put up last working versions for older FG on my hangar page though.

It might be some hours/day before you can get the latest version in QT-launcher, here is whats new:

- Pinto has redone the gear bay and the gear retract animation is now much prettier.
    - The JA-37 has got its midlife upgrade and is now a JA-37Di. Notice the 2 new options in the menu, if you don't like the map to download ala. terrasync, you can disable it there.
    - Pinto has made Hi-def inlet model, it no longer looks clunky.
    - Pinto and myself has added to the JA37, 2 displays. The middle is a HSD and is called MI. The right is a color MFD and is called TI.
    - TI: I recommend until you get used to the menus you deselect 'Full' in options. Not being in interoperability mode (shift-i) will display the menus in Swedish.
    - TI: Warning if you inside TRAP reports press CLR, it will clear all tactical reports.
    - MI: Press button P3 for help.
    - CTRL-q will in cockpit view make you look at displays.

Having airports displayed on TI might cause a slight stutter on slower machines every 3 minutes, if this bothers you, don't turn them on. :)

Last edited by Necolatis on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Hm. been landing today (felt okay, not sure about g-load), reverse thrust on and throttle up for deceleration -> engine on fire.

What did I do wrong?

And what's the procedure to extinguish the fire?
Thorsten

Postby AndersG » Tue May 09, 2017 7:59 pm

I can only answer the last question: There is none. Eject! (Or maybe not if on ground - I don't recall whether all (or any?) versions had a zero-zero seat.)
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Necolatis » Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm

The engine fire probably came from hot air from the outlet being sucked into the inlet.

When the aircraft is still or very slow (white light on), don't do full reverse thrust. (I seem to recall don't get EPR above 1.4)

If your lucky and wait a bit the fire might go out by itself, or it might spread to more systems.

As AndersG say, have come across nothing that hints that there should be a fire extinguisher.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 am

Full reverse thrust while too slow sounds about right... that's what happened (short runway, I was a bit nervous to slow down in time...).

A manual to fly this baby really would be useful at this point!
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Hm, as ingenious as the moving map solution is, for being not connected to the internet the display doesn't look good. Would it be possible to make it show some fake map in this case? Or any other useful info? I'd much prefer that over being informed that I have no map loaded, I can sort of see that.
Thorsten

Postby PINTO » Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri May 12, 2017 6:21 pm:Or any other useful info?

Not sure what you've experimented with yet, but...

As of right now, it can display airport positions if zoomed in enough (A/B buttons on the middle display affect the zoom on the right display); route (inputted via the route manager) information, such as time to arrival, distance to next wp, a line between two waypoints, etc; runway heading and flightpath to get on that heading; radar and contact info, including a sideview (probably not much use to you due to not dogfighting); rwr info (probably not much use to you again); and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Not on the map screen, but other screens on the TI can show RB-99 link, log and failure information. To see what buttons work, in the F10 menu, go to JA-37Di -> Options, and change the TI button settings from Full to Functional. Any not-working labels will be hidden. Also to display labels in the first place, hit any button on the bottom row.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Necolatis » Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Ah, the "no map" tiles are mostly there so people don't get fooled by wrong map or empty tile when actually something should be there, in case something goes wrong with loading or fetching the map.

I am hesitant to show a fake map, think that will confuse some users, but I can replace the "no map" with empty tiles, when no internet option enabled, if that's better? Or maybe the empty tiles can have some noise in them, just to get the feeling of moving over terrain. hmm.

btw. A manual is still on my todo list, but will probably finish the video tutorials first.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby AndersG » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Necolatis wrote in Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm:If your lucky and wait a bit the fire might go out by itself, or it might spread to more systems.

As AndersG say, have come across nothing that hints that there should be a fire extinguisher.

I seem to have the first few pages of the AJS 37 SFI (~POH in English) in my archive (I guess I might have got them from you?).
It contains the cockpit label for the Fire emergency instructions.

They are (in rough translation):
Code: Select all
1-2 fire warning lamps / fire suspected
Close LT-cock EBK
Lowest possible RPM

_Aircraft on fire??_
_No_  - Land ASAP. Once stopped: close LT-cock and H-current switch. Exit ASAP.
_Yes_ - Eject.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 am

It contains the cockpit label for the Fire emergency instructions.

That's pretty clear and simple then.

I guess I was mentally too much in Shuttle mode where there's three different contingency procedures for every conceivable kind of shit that can happen because there's no ejection...

I am hesitant to show a fake map, think that will confuse some users, but I can replace the "no map" with empty tiles, when no internet option enabled, if that's better?

For various reasons I don't want FG to go online, but currently it inevitably looks as if the instrument is broken in screenshots - maybe a decent solution would be to show something noisy if the real map option is de-selected.

Or to build a coarse map from FG terrain queries in that case. Like a 10x10 grid, do a terrain query every frame, color the grid blue if it hits water and brown if it hits land, add noise,... it wouldn't have to be complicated.

Not sure what you've experimented with yet, but...

Some... but the acronyms aren't straightforward and, well, you do know what they say about pushing random buttons in a cockpit... Especially when damage is modeled realistically.
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 am:Some... but the acronyms aren't straightforward and, well, you do know what they say about pushing random buttons in a cockpit... Especially when damage is modeled realistically.

There are only 2 things that can influence anything outside the displays themselves (for now):

- Pressing PEK on MI display will remove your ability to target anything.
- The menu WEAP on the TI will allow you to switch active weapon.

Beside from that, click away. :)
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby vanosten » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm:Hm. been landing today (felt okay, not sure about g-load), reverse thrust on and throttle up for deceleration -> engine on fire.

What did I do wrong?

And what's the procedure to extinguish the fire?

Regarding procedures: in case you know Swedish, then pages 149 and 156 of Fpl AJS 37 speciell förarinstruktion (SFI) del 2.pdf seems to have the answer.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby jam007 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:00 pm

vanosten wrote in Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm:149 and 156 of Fpl AJS 37 speciell förarinstruktion (SFI) del 2.pdf seems to have the answer.

10.3 Fire in aircraft on the ground: 1) Shut down engine. 2) Leave aircraft as soon as possible
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft