Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab 37 Viggen

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Saab 37 Viggen Development

Postby PINTO » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 am

From some quick googling, it's an SF-37, which isn't modelled yet. But I don't think there's any good cockpit pictures of the SF-37, and I'd be curious as to what it looks like. The instrument package was quite different in the SF-37 vs. the other variants.

If you're taking requests... the more cockpit pictures the better! And don't forget the sidepanels. The little details are mucho bueno. Also, to get it modelled eventually, a good shot or two of the camera aperture would be great.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby AndersG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:29 pm

I think I have some SAAB 37 cockpit pictures from Aeroseum in Gothenburg, Sweden here. I don't know the model and mark off the top of my head, but AJ is probable. The cockpits of several of the aircraft there are fully accessible but OTOH probably not complete and possibly degrade over time due to careless visitors.

I also have a few photos of a 37 panel from the F10 Ängelholm museum. IIRC the cockpit of the 37 there is not accessible by default. Contacting the staff, possibly in advance, might help with that, though.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby vanosten » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Contacting the staff did not help :-(

Instead I will have a ride in the Draken simulator incl. instructor :-)
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby PINTO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:30 pm

@AndersG - the Viggen in the gallery for Gothenburg, Sweden is an SH-37, which was very similar to an AJ. It was a mashup between an SF which had no radar and only cameras, and an AJ, which had the radar but no camera. The SH could carry most of the same armament and ECM that the AJ could.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby AndersG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Do you mean the one in the external shots or the one in the cockpit shots (it is not the same one)? The external one is an AJSH-37 according to the sign (designations may have varied over time, though), the other one (3270 - 3278) I don't know, though I'm fairly sure it is a 37 and not a 35 (as there are also cockpit shots from two different 35:s, one before and one after the 37 shots).
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby PINTO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Yeah, the AJSH-37 is the same as an SH-37. That AJSH-37 isn't an AJ-37.

Pics 3270-3278 are of a Viggen cockpit - looks like the SH. The joystick looking thing on the right side just below the data panel (pic 3271 has a good shot) would probably be used to control the camera. It isn't in the JA, AJ, or SK cockpits.

PINTO

Postby Necolatis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Version 4.002 has been released. To know how the auto pilot works, read the detailed changelog, or ask. See you in the skies.
When using stick to steer the aircraft during A/P (CSS system), I recommend you only use either aileron or elevator, it can be confusing to use both.

Overview of changes
Auto-pilot can now be used from cockpit controls and keys. It works pretty much as the pilot manual describes.
The engine outlet and inlet has been totally reworked by Pinto.

Detailed changelog
Sim: Updated how RPM for core and fan are calculated.
Model: {Pinto} Modeled the inlet fan and duct.
Model: {Pinto} Reworked the engine outlet.
Model: {Pinto} Made the nozzle.
Aero: Introduced normal factor due to mach.
Aero: Removed the artificial factor of mach tuch.
Control: Adjusted pitch gearing.
Effect: Reworked the M90 hit effect.
Sim: Hit and fire msg. are now delayed if they are close coupled in time.
Effect: Made wingtip vapour be seen over MP again.
Effect: Made gunpod and bottom airinlet be shaded by ubershader.
Sim: Pressing the ATT button, will engage bank-hold, if roll angle is between 7-66 degs (or gears down), else heading-hold. Only at pitch lower than 60 degs.
Sim: Pressing the ALT button, will engage altitude-hold.
Sim: Pressing the A/T button, will engage speed A/P.
Sim: Pressing the STICK button, will disengage A/P.
Sim: A/T mode 1: Minimum 550 Km/h. (297kt)
Sim: A/T mode 2: Gear has been out for more than 5 secs. Keeps AoA 10.5 deg.
Sim: A/T mode 3: Gear has been out for more than 5 secs, and 15.5 button pressed. Keeps AoA 15.5.
Sim: A/T disengage at right gear compression.
Sim: Made a15.5 button on frontpanel, that will set A/T to mode 3 when enabled.
Sim: Bank roll has a roll limit depending on speed. If you slow down with that on, it will decrease target roll.
Sim: Yaw trim will make the A/P bank to one side until its let go (at constant roll rate), after which it will fly in the new heading/roll. Normal A/P roll limit apply.
Sim: Implemented nav1 glideslope (gs1-hold) for altitude lock.
Sim: Added key CTRL-Left and CTRL-Right for yaw trim.
Sim: CSS A/P ALT mode: Stick can be used to fly to new A/P setting.
Sim: A/T mode 2 now decided AoA depending on weight.
Sim: CSS A/P ATT mode: Stick can be used to fly to new A/P setting.
Sim: A/T speed is now controllable by using ctrl-arrow up/down keys.
Model: Damped the Accelerometer.
Model: The tachometer now shows N2 instead of N1, as per manual.
Model: {Pinto} New tachometer dial and minor needle.
Sim: Minor rework of startup sequence. Now required to hold starter for 2 seconds.
Model: Some rework of start indicator lights and master warning during startup.
Sim: Studied AJ37 manual and found interesting numbers, added to performance doc.
Aero: Changed pilot, empty and droptank weights. As per AJ37 manual.
Sim: Changed Vne for AJ37 as per manual.
Sim: The plane now starts up more cold.
Sim: Adjusted checklist for starting up more cold. Approx as manual.
HUD: Ships now have their own symbol in tactical mode.
Effect: In ALS with model shader on at least 1, there will now be heat blur effect.
Effect: The normal map is now more subtle.
Effect: Made wingtip vapour and aerobatic smoke be local attached.
Effect: Vapour will now appear over the wings and canards at high alpha.
Sim: Minor missile change that make them better predict the targets horizontal motion.
Effect: More forgiving redout.
GUI: {Pinto} Another ja37 splash.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Arul » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 pm

No words to say how pleased I am with this aircraft, flying her is immensely pleasurable. The Viggen is one plane that has captivated my interest and the deepest part of my love for modern military aviation in all its ardour because as a kid, I remember seeing this plane as a sticker and in images and immediately fell in love with its unique delta wing design, it may not have been an aircraft which had any historical significance as many may argue but it is undeniably beautiful and as I have discovered while flying your model, its control in take-off, flight and landing is unparalleled by any other plane that I have used in fg- this is not only because you have done a good job but also the Viggen's thrust reverser is unique which makes deceleration during flight and on landing very smooth and quick. I was hoping that someone would model this beauty in fg for a long time and here she is (because I can use it now, I know that she has been around for a while now)!. Thank you very much Nicolatis! :) . Finally I have installed fg version 3.0 in my system and I am able to use both this version and the Viggen :D , I could only use the Viggen that you made for version 2.8 and it works really well. What is more, I downloaded the version for the latest versions of fg, copied the liveries from it to the liveries folder of the Viggen for fg 2.8 and I am able to use those liveries as well. I guess that it would be nice if you could make a separate livery pack available in your hangar with any new livery that you might probably be adding to that compendium in the future. Once again. thanks a lot Sir!
Arul

Postby Johan G » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Arul wrote in Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 pm:[...] the Viggen's thrust reverser is unique [...]

Only almost. ;) I do know about one another fighter/interceptor/attack aircraft with reversers, but only that one: The Panavia Tornado.

Tornado MFG1 landing RAF Mildenhall 1984 [Public domain], by Photographer: PH2 Bruce Trombecky, USNR, from Wikimedia Commons

Turbo-Union RB199 turbofan engine [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by Bartek Kozlowiec (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Necolatis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am

Glad you enjoy it Arul. Didn't know anybody was using the 2.8 download, so I did not bother to update it for a long time.
I haven't tested with 3.0.0 for a while now, does everything work as it should when using it with latest version 4.003? (beside from some features being disabled, it should work)

I found an old download of FG (http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/packages/flightgear/Windows/), so am gonna make a new 2.8 build soon.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:18 pm

For those still flying FG version 2.8, that version is now updated.

Latest release on hangar is 4.006, which includes the AJS variant. I also found a bug that made the aircraft not work with FG version 3.0.0, that is now fixed.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Arul » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:29 am

Oh yes, the Viggen for fg version 2.8 is working in fg version 3.0, I was formerly using fg version 2.6 if you recall, wherein the Viggen could not be flown which is why I started using version 3.0 but I may be using version 2.8 sometime soon because a couple of airports in India (VAGO and VILH for which scenery is available in Horizon's hangar are not appearing in fg version 3.0). If you are still using fg version 2.8, could anyone do me a favour and see whether the scenery for VAGO and VILH available at Horizon's hangar are working in fg v 2.8?, thanks. Thank you for the update of the Viggen for version 2.8 Nicolatis, I will check it out!.

Cheers,
Arul
Arul

Postby Necolatis » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 am

Arul, I would recommend while you are still on 3.0.0 that you try the version 4.006 (not the one for 2.8), I just fixed a bug that should make it work fine with 3.0.0 now.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Arul » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:01 pm

:D Yes, Nicolatis, I tried the version 4.006 in fg 3.0, it is very nice, awesome effects on the Viggen with functional thrust reverser petals and other details, thanks!
Arul

Postby Necolatis » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:44 am

Version 4.008 has been released on the hangar and in FGAddon.

Changelog since 4.002:
4.003 - 2016 August 16 (Flightgear 2016.3.1 version)
=====
Effect: Black damage smoke, now again attached to world.
Model: {Pinto} Added tertiary gate to engine outlet.
Radar: Radar will now respond to roll to cancel it out.
HUD: Echo distance and type/callsign is now displayed on the side of the echo where there is most room in the HUD.
Sound: Modified pitch for aim 9 growl.
Aero: Made new table for movement of neutral point due to mach.
Control: Replaced the pitch gearing with a new system, and it now only works above a certain speed.
Aero: Made elevators have less pitch moment.
Control: Made alpha limiter for low speeds.
Control: Adjusted pitch damper according to dynamic pressure.
Aero: Introduced pitch moment due to elevator due to mach.
Aero: Introduced pitch due to zero moment due to mach.
Aero: Adjustment to elevator effect due to mach.
Control: Adjustment to alpha limiter.
Sim: Fixed Vne was in Km/h, not kt.
Sim: The plane can now structurally handle more negative Gs.
Control: The plane is now easier to pitch down.
Control: Fixed that the engine would not go to 100% before aug thrust is commanded.
Control: Fixed that aug would be limited by N1, is now correctly 84% N2.
Aero: Disabled normal due to mach.
Aero: Static margin is now slightly less at very high speeds.
Aero: Elevator due to mach has been adjusted.
GUI: Removed the aerobatic pitch gearing setting.

=====
Sim: Reduced loadout for AJ-37.
Sim: Added AJS-37 variant.
Radar: {Pinto} Fixed a bug and optimized the terrain masking check for MP planes.
GUI: {Pinto} Added AJS-37 splash screen.

4.005 - 2016 October 12 (this version is for FG 2.8 only)
=====
Fixed plane so it flies in Flightgear version 2.8.0.5
Model: Fixed some textures that was not power of two.
Effect: Disabled all shader effects.
Sound: Fixed that path to 2 sound files were not specified local.
Sim: Changed some properties that did not exist in FG 2.8
Sim: Changed the JSB tag pi into the number for FG 2.8
Sim: Made propulsion and contact points inlined to work in FG 2.8
Sim: Disabled carrier support.
Sim: Removed clip tags from all JSB switches.

4.006 - 2016 October 12
=====
HUD: Fixed that on older FG versions DME would show even if off.
Sim: Init gravity for older FG versions that do not calculate it themselves. (this fixes FG 3.0.0 crash)
Sound: Fixed that path to 2 sound files were not specified local.

4.007 - 2016 November 5
=====
Radar: Small optimization.
Model: Made many faces that didn't needed to be double sided, single sided.
Model: Fixed that some normals was pointing inwards.
Model: Included the tutorial marker in the saab37 distribution, so it works with all FG versions.
Effect: Applied metal ubershader to outlet tertiary gate.
Sim: Tertiary engine opening is now JSB controlled as nasal interpolation is unreliable.
Sim: Reversing is now JSB controlled as nasal interpolation is unreliable.
Sim: Moved some minor systems to JSB from Nasal.
GUI: Moved help and checklist files to GUI folder.
GUI: Update of help.
Radar: Fixed that the runway line on radar had to be converted from magnetic to true.
HUD: Allowed the localizer heading line to move 3 degrees more to the sides.
HUD: Limited glidepath vertical lines to move max half their own length upwards, as per manual.
HUD: Fixed glidepath vertical lines was moving opposite of what manual states.
HUD: Fixed that top heading scale bug would sometimes be shown when the scale was not shown and vice versa.
Sim: Introduced some more conditions under which the tertiary opening would open up.
Control: The inner elevons now react more coarse, sluggish than the faster outer elevons.
Control: Elevon hydraulic deflection speed adjusted so roll and pitch deflections use same deg/s.
GUI: Fixed that performance monitor would show calibrated airspeed instead of true.

4.008 - 2016 November 12 (Flightgear 2016.4.1 version)
=====
Sim: [Pinto] Improved damage from guns code and added new armament.
Control: Reverted change in actuation speed for elevator.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft