Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Aircraft converted to Rembrandt

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Aircraft converted to Rembrandt

Postby fredb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:12 am

This is the list, extracted from the base package, of aircraft folders that contains an XML using the "model-transparent". It doesn't mean that the aircraft has lights, only that transparent surfaces received attention.

• 747-400
  • A-10
  • A-26-Invader
  • A-6E
  • A6M2
  • Aerostar-700
  • CRJ700-family
  • Cap10B
  • Citation
  • Citation-Bravo
  • Cub
  • DC-10-30
  • DR400
  • E-2C
  • Hurricane
  • IAR80
  • Lightning
  • Nordstern
  • R22
  • Short_Empire
  • Sikorsky-76C
  • Spitfire
  • Submarine_Scout
  • Yak-18T
  • ZLT-NT
  • a4
  • b1900d
  • b29
  • c172p
  • dhc2
  • dhc6
  • ec130
  • f-14b
  • flash2a
  • pittss1c
  • seahawk
  • sopwithCamel
  • vulcanb2

FGUK hangar :
  • F-23C
  • FGR2 Phaantom II
  • Hawker Hunter F6

Please add new converted aircraft to this thread
Last edited by fredb on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
fredb

Re: Aircrafts converted to Rembrandt

Postby gooneybird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:22 am

What is the situation regards using current liveries with Rembrandt, will they work as they are or do they need converting in some way :?:
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Postby i4dnf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 am

Unless the model author changed something in the uvmapping while doing work towards the last release (hopefuly the author would notify of such incompatibilities), there should be nothing special needed for older liveries to work with Rembrandt, or for new ones for that matter.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby gooneybird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks, that saves me a lot of work :D
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

The reflectivity effect for metallic sheen on aluminum aircraft's animation .xml's will need to disabled or remmed out, because it does mess with the shadowing. I'm also finding that Helijah's semi-translucent 'fabric' covered old-timers like the Antoinette have a weird orangish-greenish sheen to them. I'm not sure what could be done about that.

I've been Rembrandt optimizing all of my own aircraft downloads and my own models, if they haven't been done so already. You will find that your gauge lenses, and the landing light housings and the actual point light sources will need this entry added to their various .xml's, if you really like running Rembrandt.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Postby i4dnf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:08 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm:The reflectivity effect for metallic sheen on aluminum aircraft's animation .xml's will need to disabled or remmed out, because it does mess with the shadowing. I'm also finding that Helijah's semi-translucent 'fabric' covered old-timers like the Antoinette have a weird orangish-greenish sheen to them. I'm not sure what could be done about that.

That means the aircraft is not properly converted, or not at all converted for Rembandt. That has nothing to do with liveries, or the topic here.
i4dnf
Retired

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm

It actually does have something to do with Rembrandt, as you end up with the shadows being patchworked by the surfaces effected by the metallic [effect][/effect].
LesterBoffo

Postby i4dnf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Is any of the aircraft in the first post affected by this?
This topic is here to collect information about aircraft that are already converted to Rembrandt.

Now can we get back on topic?
i4dnf
Retired

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Well the Hurricane and the A26 just off the top of my head.

And you're going to be hard pressed to show where the OP specifically said anything about the liveries, this is about the model transparent issue and I thought it might be worth mentioning the metallic effect in Rembrandt, it's about a topical as the liveries issue IMO
LesterBoffo

Postby i4dnf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Having extensively tested (and worked on the FDM of) the Hurricane previous to the release, I can assure you it is properly converted.
For the A26 I can't tell.(Keep in mind that Helijah's usage of effects is suboptimal to say the least, he just slaps the same deprecated effect on the fuselage/canopy, without any proper adaptation)

The liveries question was on topic, as Gooneybird has done a lot of liveries for a quite a few of those models, and his concern was about having to redo (a lot of) liveries for the converted aircraft.

And this isn't just about the model-transparent issue. model-transparent was used as a quick way to determine aircraft that have been at least in some way ported to Rembrandt.

OTOH you could have just pointed out the specific aircraft in the list that still had issues, beyond model-transparent, thus not ported properly.
Rembrandt lights are an enhancement, so missing lights doesn't mean the aircraft isn't properly ported, it just means it doesn't take full advantage of what Rembrandt offers.
i4dnf
Retired

Re: Aircraft converted to Rembrandt

Postby fredb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,
LesterBoffo wrote in Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm:Well the Hurricane and the A26 just off the top of my head.

And you're going to be hard pressed to show where the OP specifically said anything about the liveries, this is about the model transparent issue and I thought it might be worth mentioning the metallic effect in Rembrandt, it's about a topical as the liveries issue IMO

I am the OP and I don't understand what you mean. What is the metallic effect ?
Please post screenshot to add substance to your claims.

I read between your lines that conversions are not perfect. This is good to know to encourage developers to improve their work. My draw from the base package was, as stated in the first post, only driven by the presence of the transparent effect that was added for Rembrandt.

Regards,
Last edited by fredb on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredb

Postby fredb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:00 pm

BTW, effects are not contained inside liveries but are shared by all liveries. So we really speak about models and not liveries.
Last edited by fredb on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredb

Postby vivian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Hmm - don't think the 2.8.0 version of the Hurricane actually used any shaders, Rembrandt or not. We've done a lot of work on the Hurricane since then, so I have not the slightest intention of going back over this one.

Oh - pedant alert - the plural of aircraft is aircraft
vivian

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm

I guess I don't understand why it's so hard for you to just load the aircraft in Rembrandt and take a peek for yourself..

Do you folks ever fly your aircraft? Do you actually look at what happens with some of the aircraft in Rembrandt?

Exhibit A and B...

I had fixed the issue in the Hurricane, as it's appearance was bothering me some, but the exhaust and oil stain overlays on the original have this same weird orange and green shading the Spitfire is showing here and all of the other players Hurries and Spitties show this, even when I've deleted my own aircraft's shaders.

Exhibit B Helijah's DH89, if you'll notice the patchworked shadowing caused by the shiny reflection shader <effect> on most of his wing and fuselage surfaces. There's also a number of aircraft, not only just Helijah's, that also use this reflection shader.
LesterBoffo

Postby fredb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 am

To be clear, you want to make a point, so bring substance instead of assuming people will follow you in all what you say, and I won't be the one that convert all these aircraft. You are ranting over the wrong person.

BTW: I don't see a DH89 in the first post list
Last edited by fredb on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
fredb

Next

Return to Aircraft