Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

C-5 Galaxy Initial Release

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: C-5 Galaxy Initial Release

Postby massima » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

This plane isn't downloadable from the launcher and if i download from "FGMEMBERS", I'm not able to launch from command line.
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:53 am

apparently it has not been under development since 2009... the wiki page for it was deleted two years ago, too...

if you have downloaded if from fgmembers, did you remove "-master" from the directory name when you installed it in your custom craft directory?

what does your flightgear log file have to say when you try to load it?

i have the craft here and will be trying it to see what problems may be reported in the log... it will be a little while, though, as i'm trying to work through a problem i have with maintaining my scenery...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby massima » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 am

I always rename a folder removing the word "-master", now it is called "C-5". Launching:

Code: Select all
fgfs --aircraft=C-5

a raw in the log says:

general:5:/build/flightgear-EitLjg/flightgear-2017.2.1+dfsg/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:254:Cannot find the specified aircraft: 'C-5'
massima

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:49 pm

ok, that probably means one of two things...

1. the name of the craft may be "c-5" or "C5" or "c5"... but looking at the archive, i can see that the -set file is, indeed, C-5-set.xml so "C-5" is correct...

OR

2. that you don't have the directory you put the C-5 directory into configured in your --fg-aircraft= path list... exactly where did you extract the C-5 directory that you removed -master from? on my system, i store all my non-official craft in,,,

~/myflightgear/Aircraft

so this C-5 is physically located in...

~/myflightgear/Aircraft/C-5

my --fg-aircraft directory list looks like this...

--fg-aircraft=/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft;/home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft

that line tells FG to look in all subdirectories of the two listed paths to find aircraft folders so it can load which ever one i've selected to fly... all my official flightgear distributed craft (527 of them) are in my fgaddon-ng directory and all my other custom craft are in the myflightgear/Aircraft directory...

example:
[...]
~/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft/AVRO-IV-Triplane
~/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft/Avro-Lancaster
~/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft/B-17
~/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft/b1900d
~/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft/B-1B
[...]
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/A320Family
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/A330-200
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/C-17
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/c172p
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/C-5
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/ec130
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/fgukpayloads
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/ORCAM
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/pa20
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/R44

this keeps things clean and separate and doesn't cause problems trying to store the craft in the master flightgear directories...

in the new built-in --launcher, you set these in the advanced path settings area of the launcher...

hth
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby massima » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 pm

I added a custom folder for my preferred airplanes in the launcher, because this option doesn't work:

--fg-aircraft=/home/attila/.fgfs/Aircraft

All my preferred planes are there and the galaxy too, all planes are visible/usable except for the Galaxy.
Are you able to use it on your PC?

Thanks

EDIT: using the powerful terminal i get this error:

Cannot open file Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml
 at /home/attila/.fgfs/Aircraft/C-5/C-5-set.xml,
line 3, column 0

So it needs the Jpack, i installed it. Now i can launch it with the command line but it is still invisible in the launcher. Why??
massima

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 pm

ahhhh, i forgot about the JPack stuff... i haven't been able to try loading the C-5, yet... i've finally gotten my scenery updated with the script i've been using and have been working to find and kill all the empty directories that are no longer needed... recent hunting has turned up 3700+ that need to be removed... once i've gotten this done and set up, then i can check the C-5 and a few other craft that others are having problems with...

as for not seeing it in the --launcher, IIRC, that's because of the way that JPack is included into the craft... back when this problem was discovered, it was suggested that JPack fix the way it is loaded so it doesn't cause this to happen... i don't think that was ever done as that was during the time of the big arguing mess about the splitting of fgdata into fgdata and fgaddon as well as the starting of fgmembers... problems specific to fgmembers craft need to be solved over there in the fgmembers support area... that's all i'm going to say about that period of time because i don't want to stir up that hornets nest again...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby massima » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 am

I don't know how many planes use this pack, but this plane is in alpha state. There aren't any istruments to fly it, perhaps it is better to leave it hidden until someone will work on it. Thanks for your explanation, there will be a lot of things "to do" and the jpack integration has low priority.
massima

Postby Marsdolphin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 am

Is this aircraft still obtainable?

The FGMEMBERS version keep crashing, and I cannot make it load.
Find me in Multiplayer as "Mars006". I fly all around the world, but I usually hang out in ZBAA and the surrounding airports.
Everyone be safe and let's hope the pandemic can be over soon.
Have fun flying!
Marsdolphin

Callsign: Mars006, mars006

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm

FGMEMBERS is not a part from the official FlightGear community.
See: https://www.flightgear.org/info/fgmembers-statement/

Best way is to ask the author or the FGMEMBERS community.
FGMEMBERS forum is at http://thejabberwocky.net/
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.3.0

Previous

Return to Aircraft