Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Jabiru J-170 (DEVELOPMENT)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Jabiru J-170 (DEVELOPMENT)

Postby Figaro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Hey folks,

On Saturday, I had my first ever flight. It was awesome. Now, Omega95 from TheOmegaHangar (you may know some of his works including the A321, ATR-42, A330-200, Embraer E-jets and the update 787-8) was keen in making this a development project alongside me. (for both FG, and his RC project)

In the original release, there will likely be one of the two cockpit options offered. (there's actually for. But Omega95 wanted to do the Glass Cockpit whilst I wanted the cockpit I did my flight in) with a single livery "Jabiru 7984, the aircraft I flew.

Here is some pictures of the real thing and what he's done;

Ambient occlusions added, and fully texture mapped. Livery to come later today.

What's coming
Accurate and realistic external 3D model --> Complete
Accurate and realistic cockpit with ambient occlusion and some photo textures used --> Not Started
Accurate and realistic JSBSim flight dynamics --> Not started
Accurate and realistic engine sounds --> Not started
Accurate and realistic systems and procedures --> Not started

Looking forward to being able to fly this myself

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Re: Jabiru J-170 (DEVELOPMENT)

Postby omega95 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:36 am

Oh boy, I didn't see this topic... Anyway, I'll just re-post those things here... :oops:

So far, I just finished the model and a basic interior... I also mapped them with blender. :D I'll do the cockpit(s) (We're working on all 4 available cockpit layouts - 3 glass and 1 analog) after my Chem exam. I should really be killing myself for even doing the model instead of studying. :|

I'm currently pushing them to a development git repo and Sam's gunna do some more texturing to this model.

Btw, this model is NOT very accurate. I couldn't find any good blue-prints or even three-views for this, so I just modeled it off Sam's photos. Sam's writing to Jabiru for blueprints and if we do get any, I'll probably just re-model it. :shock:

Everything is/will be GPL, the textures are either extracted from Sam's photos or blank colors with some Blender magic.

@Sam, I've mapped the main body wiith ac3d and the paintkit's kind of simple- you have the top, bottom and both sides which includes the rudder, VStab and the bottom VStab. As for the wings paintkit, for proper ambient occlusions and possible light mapping, I mapped them with Blender's smart UV Project which makes it look kind of weird. But still, I've labeled the wing parts in the paintkit so hopefully, that'll help you.

Oh and I don't think blender has got the wing edges together, so I'll probably have to remap the wings later anyway.

connect wrote in Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm:Accurate and realistic external 3D model --> Complete

Let's take out the accurate for a while... As I said, I didn't have any blueprint OR layout to model out of. :?
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby omega95 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 am

Here's a preview of the paintkits... The actual xcfs will be up on git (https://gitorious.org/fg-jabiru-j170/fg-jabiru-j170-devel) any minute now. :)

Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby omega95 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:54 am

I missed lunch today and I got kinda bored... (Seriously, OChem is FRIGGIN BORING!), so I did a couple of liveries... All these exist in real life (I got images to look at while making from Google Images) but anyway, as these liveries are REALLY simple, it just took like a minute or 2 to make each. :D

connect wrote in Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm:with a single livery "Jabiru 7984, the aircraft I flew.

Right, So I'll put these on the livery database... Or does the aircraft have to be completed b4 I start uploading liveries there? :?

And I agree that there should just be 1 livery in the base package... The livery sizes are 2048x2048 px AND some liveries (atm, only 1 - LN-YNC) require 2 files, 1 for fuselage/vstab and 1 for the wings/hstab...
omega95

Postby Figaro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am

I assume the aircraft would have to be released. As people may download them, but not be able to fly with them.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Postby omega95 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Cockpit Option C...

We're also gunna' be doing Option A (this one's analog) later, but then that's really easy compared to C. :P

EDIT:

http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/documents/All%20Models_factory_complete_order-form_PRINTVER_NOPRICES_26-10-10.pdf

In option 3, we'll be modeling and programing the following:

Dynon SkyView SV-D1000 (other options are FlightDEK D-180 and SV-700 but D1000 is the best... and most expensive :wink: )
    Garmin Aera500 GPS (other option is SkyView SV-GPS-250 but I have better documentation on the GA500-GPS)
    Flightline FL760 VHF

The rest of the instruments are the basic ASI, ALT, TC and Compass

In the second Radio slot (it's usually empty on most), I was thinking on putting 1 of the option Garmin SL-30 VOR/ILS Radio Tuners. I mean, I know that the aircraft's not meant for IFR but then I also read that you CAN add that option. SkyView Systems (SV-D1000) provides a basic autopilot (ALT, HDG, GPS-NAV (sorta like a Route Manager but with only 1 waypoint), V/S and FPA), so a VOR/ILS instrument would really help with the package.

Right, and the SV-D1000's PFD mode shows synthetic terrain! That gives me a LOT of word... I already got a basic idea of projecting 3D rendering calculations to 2D (I figured this out when I wanted my home made robot to check for objects, find their height and create a virtual 3D map :) )... So unless someone's gunna tell me how to render terrain to texture, I'm gunna get crazy and this... The only problem with this is that unless you want a lot of lag, (which means I'll have to get only 1 or 2 points every frame, like in the 787's VSD and terrain map) the synthetic terrain will be quite slow. And then, I've seen a couple of screenshots where you render terrain as a separate window/camera, so why not terrain? :)
omega95

Postby omega95 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:13 pm

The GPS would be really simple.. It's just a touchscreen instrument that you can use to enter a waypoint, and get the plane to fly there. And ofcourse also display a moving terrain map (that would be almost exactly like in the 787)... The SV-D1000 is the tricky part... I'll think about a better way to project 2D to 3D when I'm lying on the bed instead of thinking of how stupid I was to spend the last few hours b4 my finals making this thing... Hey, I don't get it.. Why am I still doing it?! :evil:

Anyway, labeled most of the Option C Panel Stuff

omega95

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

well done!!!!!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Figaro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Good work Narendran. The fact you can always get the 3D done so quickly is awesome. haha.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Postby mr_no » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm

WOW! This is going FAST and really nice!!!
I'm really excited about this aircraft.
Reminds me of Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat.
http://www.foxbat.com.au/

Don't forget the rest of the cabin, seats etc.
If you need help with FDM just ask.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby omega95 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 am

mr_no wrote in Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm:If you need help with FDM just ask.

That's awesome... So are you good with JSBSim? :D
omega95

Postby mr_no » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I have more experience with YASim, but I'm a programmer I can learn and improve my JSBSim.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby omega95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 am

Right, back to the development, I've started slow on some nasal work here... Yesterday, I talked to an ER prof and he told me about the damping created between stick input and surface output when you use cables. It's very less but it's still there. When manufacturers choose cables, they get one without MUCH elasticity (to reduce the lag) but there will be a bit of elasticity so that the cable's not brittle. Anyway, I've been doing some stuff with nasal to get that. The difference is not too noticeable but it still words. :mrgreen:

Like, when you move the stick hard, the aileron starts moving to the other end hard and then gradually slows down as the tension decreases when it gets closer. And then I also got airspeed to affect the position, when you're flying really fast, the wind will try to bring the surfaces back to the center. Again, not too noticeable (especially when you're flying in cockpit View, which everyone should) but then it's still there. :)

I'll model a nice simple electrical system in a while. (the J-170 has 1 alt, 1 batt, 2 buses and 5 outs) I'm also trying to model battery life. (Shouldn't really effect much as I don't think anyone's gunna fly longer than an hour or 2 in this at a time, but well still, the power output would reduce when the charge reduces... But then the Engines would charge the battery anyway.) :wink:
omega95

Postby omega95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

Here's the basic flight control cable system...

Code: Select all
var surface = {
   surface_name : "",
   damping_coeff : 1,
   serviceable : 1,
   cable_input : 0,
   last_pos : 0,
   cable_damp : func {
         return (math.abs(me.cable_input - me.last_pos)) * me.damping_coeff;
   },
   surface_pos : func {
      return me.last_pos + ((me.cable_input - me.last_pos) * me.cable_damp());   
   },
   set_last : func {

var pos = me.final_output();

var airspeed = getprop("/velocities/airspeed-kt");

if ((typeof(pos) == "scalar") and (math.abs(pos) <= 1))
         me.last_pos = me.surface_pos();
      else
         me.last_pos = me.cable_input * ((450 - airspeed) / 450);
   },
   final_output : func {
      # This small script is to calculate for the tension created by the airspeed
      return me.surface_pos() * ((450 - airspeed) / 450);   
   },
   damage_cable : func {
      me.serviceable = 0;
   }
};

var fctl_cables = {
   init : func {
        me.UPDATE_INTERVAL = 0.01;
        me.loopid = 0;

me.fctl_tree = "/fdm/jsbsim/fcs/";
        me.fctl_out = "-pos-output";
        me.fctl_in = "/controls/flight/";

# Initialize JSBSim FCTL Properties

setprop(me.fctl_tree~ "aileron" ~me.fctl_out, 0);
        setprop(me.fctl_tree~ "elevator" ~me.fctl_out, 0);
        setprop(me.fctl_tree~ "rudder" ~me.fctl_out, 0);

# Initialize Surface control hashes

me.surface_vect = [new(surface), new(surface), new(surface)];

me.surface_vect[0].surface_name = "aileron";
      me.surface_vect[1].surface_name = "elevator";
      me.surface_vect[2].surface_name = "rudder";

me.surface_vect[0].damping_coeff = 0.26;
      me.surface_vect[1].damping_coeff = 0.62;
      me.surface_vect[2].damping_coeff = 0.54;

me.reset();
},
   update : func {

foreach(var ctl_surface; me.surface_vect) {

if (ctl_surface.serviceable == 1) {

ctl_surface.cable_input = getprop(me.fctl_in ~ ctl_surface.surface_name);

var output = ctl_surface.final_output();

if((typeof(output) == "scalar") and (math.abs(output) <= 1))
               setprop(me.fctl_tree ~ ctl_surface.surface_name ~ me.fctl_out, output);
            else
               ctl_surface.cable_input * ((450 - airspeed) / 450);

# There seems to be some sort of error with the cable damp calculation, so the else here is to still be abe to control the plane (but without cable damping, as it faulted) in case of an error.

ctl_surface.set_last();

}

}

},
   reset : func {
        me.loopid += 1;
        me._loop_(me.loopid);
    },
   _loop_ : func(id) {
        id == me.loopid or return;
        me.update();
        settimer(func { me._loop_(id); }, me.UPDATE_INTERVAL);
    }

};

fctl_cables.init();
print("Flight Control System ............ Initialized");

Aand, I also did some work on the electrical system.. There's 1 alternator, 1 battery, and 5 outputs and just 1 bus here, as 2 is really unnecessary. Basically, you have the suppliers giving out a fixed voltage with variable amps based on the props they're connected to- Alternator to RPM and Battery to Charge. Then each of the outputs have their own power rating (P = VI) and take up power from the bus. The battery also charges from the alternator and drains when it's being used. Without the alternator, the battery has a life time of about 3 hours. We can fix this if it's inaccurate by changing charge and drain rates.

Cheers. :D
omega95

Postby omega95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Some more work on the cockpit...

I'm off to sleep tonight... Tomorrow's a big day for me.. and about 20000 other high school students in the world..

And again, HAPPY PI DAY!
omega95

Next

Return to Aircraft