Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New Boeing 787-8 GIT

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: New Boeing 787-8 GIT

Postby kcy8781 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:12 am

Need help:

I can't control any of the control surfaces on the 787 except for rudder, so I wasn't able to take off since the elevator wasn't working(and no I will not try trim :)). The yoke in the cockpit responds to my inputs, so whats wrong?

kcy
kcy8781
Retired

Postby surpii » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:27 pm

@kcy8781

Sounds like your Caps Lock key is on

@NLRay

The latest one that I have downloaded has that same problem. This version was last updated on 26/7/2014. There should be other versions around and they do not have this problem.
surpii

Postby D13H4RD2L1V3 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I think the paintkit for the 787 needs to be updated.

The updated model doesn't have any windows, and the liveries from the livery database doesn't have windows, so the plane looks like a freighter with passenger doors...
D13H4RD2L1V3

Postby redneck » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Hey guys. I see some questions in here that haven't been answered. I worked alongside omega during some of the earlier developments of this aircraft, including work with the FDM, FBW, AP, and VNAV. I also helped test some of the other things that he worked on to make sure they worked right on Windows. Here's what I have to say. Last time I got the updated version of this plane, a lot of features were broken. The CDU and EFB don't always work right, the ND and VSI glitch up. Well, I'm not sure how the latest version is now, but whatever I had been flying before was bad, and I kinda think it's safe to say that a few of the issues with that one went unresolved. It has been about a year or so now, since I kinda had major hardware problems for a while that kept me from using FG, so maybe things aren't quite as bad as I think. I had given special instructions to omega as to how the AP properties needed to structured, and how they should function, so as to prevent compatibility problems with FGFSCopilot. I know he made changes to the AP dialog, which, alone, shouldn't have been a problem, but he did open it to other authors, who may not have been aware of how the AP properties needed to be for FGFSCopilot to function. So, yes, FGFSCopilot can still connect and adjust your fuel level, and even set a simple, three-waypoint route, but that's it. It will NOT fly the plane for you anymore. Perhaps I should have put annotations in the files that manipulated the AP properties, but, at the time, I didn't realize that he was going to open the project up to other authors, who weren't all in the loop about that.

Also, the FBW is wrong. It should be very similar to a 777 with a few extra features. Instead, we made it kinda like an Airbus jet with an override switch. It was our first crack at making a FBW system. It works, but it doesn't work the way it does in RL, so it kinda fails at simulating a 787-8 properly in that respect. Oh yeah, the 777 doesn't have FBW in FG at all, either. Right now, I'm having some performance issues, but, if I can get those resolved, I'd like to tackle those projects. I have all the info I need on how the FBW works. The only problem is that, to simulate it, it will actually be more complicated than the FBW that the Airbus jets use. This wouldn't be a simple edit. The FBW would have to be entirely rewritten, and then special helpers will need to be created to simulate what is essentially force feedback - the actual difference between Flight Envelope Limiting and Flight Envelope Protection.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Hooray » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:45 pm

FGFSCopilot can still connect and adjust your fuel level, and even set a simple, three-waypoint route, but that's it. It will NOT fly the plane for you anymore. Perhaps I should have put annotations in the files that manipulated the AP properties, but, at the time, I didn't realize that he was going to open the project up to other authors, who weren't all in the loop about that.

Honestly, given all the progress in the Canvas/GUI department, there's little -if any- reason to keep applications like FGFSCoPilot outside FlightGear; FlightGear as a platform has become sufficiently flexible to be the foundation for such features, implemented entirely on top of its built-in subsystems, such as the route-manager/autopilot/property-rule and Canvas/Nasal systems. These days, a modern-looking GUI isn't exactly hard to create, and even the development workflow is pretty similar to existing standards.
And if you really don't like the idea of using Nasal/Canvas, you can also use Torsten's mongoose work to come up with a purely web-driven application talking to FlightGear via AJAX/SOAP or even WebSockets.
Either way, there's no need for requiring a run-time environment (JRE) and maintaining a separate code base.
I've kinda predicted how FGFSCoPilot development would likely stagnate even 12+ months ago, despite having been originally involved in helping with the telnet/interfacing mechanism and Java specifics.
So I am not at all opposed to the application/feature, I just -still- don't agree with the implementation/approach used here, and things aren't going to be any better a few years from now...

To get started with Canvas GUI development, I'd suggest to check out this: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Snippets
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 am

Hello people. The storm lights doesn'tfully work on 3.4. I'll re-download the plane, maybe it will help
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby seb2222 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 am

For some reason I can't remove parking brake and there is no indication if it is on or off. I have removed chokes. All help is appreciated.
seb2222

Postby radi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:35 am

Try Shift-b.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby seb2222 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 pm

ihave. However for some reason using reverse thrust combined with pushback fixes this.
seb2222

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

About the autopilot, feel free to scavenge my SYS7_1 in the JPack, I have put it in your older 787 just to fly her around a litte and GS, LOC, etc worked fine without changes.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby clrCoda » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:32 am

seb2222 wrote in Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 am:For some reason I can't remove parking brake and there is no indication if it is on or off. I have removed chokes. All help is appreciated.

Hi seb2222. It's an odd thing, and this might not be your issue but you can try the comma and period differential brakes. Sometimes I've noticed ( can't tell you which off the top of head ) planes that after releasing the parking brake, and the plane still does not move, especially after landing, hitting the comma and period brakes unlocks the brakes.

YMMV -- Ray :)
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Guys, help! I don't know why but the dome lights of the Aircraft stopped working. FG 3.2 I already re-installed the aircraft and launched it as an admin.

thank you

Vladimir Akimov

Postby radi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:52 am

I've pushed my wingflexer (needs FG >= 3.5) and improved static friction coefficients to https://github.com/fgradi/fg-boeing-787-8.

radi

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 am

Nice!

Vladimir Akimov

Postby radi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:39 am

Added ALS landing lights and ALS shadow to branch radi-lights. The former aren't fully Rembrandt-safe yet.
radi

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft