Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby Algernon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Ah, thanks for tracking that down, Stuart, and DF for fixing it!

Dacer, in answer to your PM'd questions, the FG Typhoon does not utilise FlightGear's full radio navigation potential as the real aircraft only uses TACAN and GPS for navigation and does not support civilian systems. I've never been able to get VORTAC stations to work in FG personally, on any aircraft, but I might just be doing it wrong. As far as COM frequencies are concerned, the aircraft has a similar system to the real one, in the form of preset channels and doesn't use the standby/active frequency system that civilian aircraft use. You can enter two manual frequencies, M1 and M2, but it looks like I forgot to finish the dialog for entering those - my bad, sorry. I'll get that done this weekend.

As far as stalling at 240kts is concerned, that's never happened to me - you should be able to maintain level flight with high alpha (AOA) at anything down to 150kts. Can you give any more information about the situation in which this happened?
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby dacer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for reply.

As said before TACAN work with tanker and carrier, but not with some VORTAC. A few days ago I was flying with a pair of F14b, and one of them send me TACAN codes to navigate. These works fine, we was at sea, west-italy near sicily and Sardinia. But now trying to use VORTAC near my test-base, LEAM, It didn't work.

About stall, I used to fly with others, and we used to fly for long distances, but used to search airport for a touch and go. So I used to use external fuel tanks, and used to be full. If clean, I can fly 150 knots (sea level), and no problem, but with external tank and some missiles, I must be more than 200knots.

I really don't understand about flaps. Eurofighter has Flaps?, or only slats (automatic)?

And radio manual frecuencies, as you said, seems forgot to finish. Also anothen dialog, about panels, seems don't work.

Thanks for your work, really looks nice. I'm computer programer, but I have not idea about flightgear aircraft programing. Maybe I can help you some, but I have to learn a lot of before. I read a lot of XML, searching how to work radio, so something I learn, but only a little.

Bye
dacer

Callsign: dacer
Version: GIT 2.7.0

Postby dacer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Algernon wrote in Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm:... You can enter two manual frequencies, M1 and M2, but it looks like I forgot to finish the dialog for entering those - my bad, sorry. I'll get that done this weekend.

Maybe this code for Radio dialog:
typhoon-raddialog.xml
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<PropertyList>
 <name>radcom-dialog</name>
 <modal>false</modal>
 <draggable>true</draggable>
 <layout>vbox</layout>
 <width>360</width>
 <x>-50</x>
 <y>-50</y>

<text>
  <height>20</height>
  <halign>center</halign>
  <label>Radio Settings</label>
 </text> 

<frame>
  <layout>hbox</layout>
   <text>
   <height>20</height>
   <halign>center</halign>
   <label>Communications Settings</label>
  </text>
 <group>
  <layout>hbox</layout>

<input>
   <property>/systems/CAMU/channel-list/channel[8]/frequency</property>
    <live>true</live>
   <width>70</width>
   <label>M1</label>
    <binding>
     <command>dialog-apply</command>
    </binding>
   </input>

</group>

</frame>
 <frame>
  <layout>hbox</layout>
   <text>
   <height>20</height>
   <halign>center</halign>
   <label>Communications Settings</label>
  </text>
 <group>
  <layout>hbox</layout>

<input>
   <property>/systems/CAMU/channel-list/channel[9]/frequency</property>
    <live>true</live>
   <width>70</width>
   <label>M2</label>
    <binding>
    </binding>
   </input>

</group>

</frame>

<frame>

<layout>hbox</layout>

<group>
  <layout>hbox</layout>
  <padding>10</padding>

<button>
   <x></x>
   <y>-10</y>
   <width>70</width>
   <legend>Apply</legend>
   <binding>
   </binding>
  </button>

<button>
   <x>0</x>
   <y>-10</y>
   <width>70</width>
   <legend>Close</legend>
   <binding>
    <command>dialog-close</command>
   </binding>
  </button>

</group>

</frame>

</PropertyList>
dacer

Postby Algernon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Dacer,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, it's been an awfully busy month for my work in RL.

Firstly, we'd love to have you onboard the Typhoon project. I am hoping to spend some more development time, I'll fix the issues with the manual radio frequencies and the panels dialog - this is principally to facilitate manual startup and operation of nav lights at the moment, so it won't be perfect yet. Once that's done, we can decide where to go next.

The Typhoon doesn't have flaps at all. It does have slats, and they operate automatically dependent upon airspeed, but really, the aircraft's wing configuration means it doesn't really need flaps as it is flown on alpha and is already capable of very high AOA maneouvers. You may find that operating the flaps control alters the flight characteristics, because something Almursi was testing was the variable engine inlet - I'm not sure how far he got with that.

I'll fix the radio thing this week and then we can look at the next step for the Typhoon - it's possible we may be making big changes, but that's dependent on the time and availability of some of the key developers. Watch this space!
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby dacer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice to see you again Algernon.

I note about engine inlet when use flaps + / - .But don't know if when flaps + nose must down as do. I see a lot of "flaps" code in xml, so realy don't know if this must be remove or has some value for edge-slats.

I write some code for Radio Settings, changing M1 and M2 frecuencies, it's two post before this. Maybe can help you.

And I note edge-slats are now automatic, not like previous version. I see in real aircraft, than edge-slats used to be close when gears are down. You can see in a lot of pictures from airlines or other. Also you can see in this video (typhoon le bourget 2011) http://youtu.be/tOqtomuOg_U Edge-slats are close when taking off, and when landing.

Thank!!!
dacer

Postby dacer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

dacer wrote in Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 pm: I see in real aircraft, than edge-slats used to be close when gears are down. You can see in a lot of pictures from airlines or other. Also you can see in this video (typhoon le bourget 2011) http://youtu.be/tOqtomuOg_U Edge-slats are close when taking off, and when landing.

Suggest changes on eurofighter/Nasal/typhoon.nas:
Code: Select all
## auto-slats --modeling needs work?
# maybe add the variable intake to this?
var airspeed_n = props.globals.getNode("/velocities/airspeed-kt");
var angleoa_n = props.globals.getNode("/orientation/alpha-deg" );
var deploy = getprop("/systems/FCS/settings/slat-threshold");

var auto_slats = func {     
  var airspeed = airspeed_n.getValue();
  var angleoa = angleoa_n.getValue();
  var gearDown =getprop ("/controls/gear/gear-down");
    if ((airspeed < deploy or angleoa > 12) and (! gearDown)) {
      setprop("/controls/flight/slats", 1.0);
      } else {
      setprop("/controls/flight/slats", 0.0);
      }
     settimer(auto_slats, 0.3);
}

gearDown var to disable edge slat with gear down.

Sl2
dacer

Postby Algernon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 am

dacer wrote in Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 pm:I note about engine inlet when use flaps + / - .But don't know if when flaps + nose must down as do. I see a lot of "flaps" code in xml, so realy don't know if this must be remove or has some value for edge-slats.

Ultimately, there are no flap surfaces on the wings in the FDM, so any code relating to them will just be updating a property without affecting the flight characteristics. Which xml files have the flaps code that you mention? I'll look and see if I recognise it.

I write some code for Radio Settings, changing M1 and M2 frecuencies, it's two post before this. Maybe can help you.

Thanks, I didn't look at the code in detail before I posted my last reply and didn't realise it was dialog xml. I'll put that in today - very grateful, thanks again.

And I note edge-slats are now automatic, not like previous version. I see in real aircraft, than edge-slats used to be close when gears are down. You can see in a lot of pictures from airlines or other. Also you can see in this video (typhoon le bourget 2011) http://youtu.be/tOqtomuOg_U Edge-slats are close when taking off, and when landing.

Correct :) We have so far been working on the assumption that the slats automatically extend according to airspeed, and extend progressively, rather than being either in extended fully or retracted fully states. The video you linked to shows this is not what happens - it seems, according to different demands on the aircraft, they are often working and, as you point out, they seem to retract permanently when the pilot reaches out, presumably to the gear control. I will watch the video another 10 times and try and understand the slat factors a bit better, but in the mean time, I will definitely include your nasal amendment in the code. Thanks again!
Algernon
Algernon

Postby dacer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Seems I was wrong about flaps code, as I read a lot of XML, about new and old versions, surely I saw some flaps code from old version, and thinks was in new.

Now I'm watching some code about animations and multiplayer view. For example, Speedbrake, extend and retract fine, but when another pilot watch my model, when extend, speedbrake go down instead of up. Retract move up instead of down.

Watching a lot of code, and trying to learn.

Thanks
dacer

Postby dacer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:36 pm

more about edge-slats and gear down (go to 3:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYcemhUxU0

Sl2
dacer

Postby Tak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 am

Hi, I really enjoy flying the Typhoon in FG, kudos to those who made it.
However, I can't see MP chat when using it. Say I connect to a crowded area, with the Typhoon I don't see "Hello" messages or mp chatter, as I would with any other aircraft.
Does anyone have an idea where this could be coming from ?
I'm on version 2.6.
Also, this may be unrelated but the radar display doesn't seem to work here either, I only get audio warnings but don't see anything on the HUD or radar screen that indicates where the other aircraft are.

I don't mind hacking some files and bringing back the result to improve the Typhoon, but some pointers would help.
Tak

Postby dacer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Tak, I don't know which version are you using, Algernon has development/beta version on his server.

http://www.fguk.eu/fguk-hangar
http://www.fguk.eu/fguk-hangar/83-milit ... er-typhoon

Backup your eurofighter folder on data/Aircraft, and try this version.

Report you experience with it. I'm trying to help Algernon to develop it, but I'm rookie with FGFS development.

Sl2
dacer

Postby Tak » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Problem solved with the dev version, cheers.
I was using the one that was on flightgear.org/download/... right after 2.6 was released.

Good work on the recent improvements. Though I kinda miss roll hold in the Typhoon autopilot :roll:. Also, engine start only through a menu when I already have thrust is really weird.
Tak

Postby Algernon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Sorry for the late reply, chaps - I have a new job which required a move, and my time online has been limited. I'm trying to get back on track with the Typhoon now.

In response to the posts, yes, having thrust when the engines are off is weird - this is mostly due to Yasim, on two counts. The engine shutdown thing is a workaround - Yasim doesn't cater for it natively - so the only other way to stifle the thrust is to disconnect the throttle control property from the control axis in Yasim's throttle... which Yasim doesn't like. I don't know why, since all the other FDM control axes are re-routed away from direct control, but I need to find a way around it - it'll be my next job, because new pilots are most likely to rev it up and only discover they don't have any hydraulic power at 180kts halfway down the runway... ;)

Oh, and Roll Hold is still in the autopilot - it's just not in the dialog. I didn't quite finish polishing the dialog, it was a rush job - I'll make sure it goes back in.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:44 pm

A quick update - I've really struggled to find a way to prevent the engines producing thrust when the engines are off, for the reasons stated above - YASim really does not want to accept any other control axis than /controls/engines/.../throttle, so I've written a Nasal hack which overwrites that property with zero unless the engine for that throttle is running. It's not too pretty, but it seems to work... I'm also fixing a couple of other niggles, and finishing some work on the MFDs - should have an update pretty soon.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Thu May 03, 2012 12:47 pm

With things IRL finally settling down a bit, and with my new computer on the cards, things are looking good for the Typhoon. New updates - the thrust thing is sorted, the canard is now operating correctly including adopting the parked position in 'ground' phase of flight, and the MFDs are coming closer to being configured realistically. I have one more job to do - working on the multiplayer issues - before I put together a new release. If anyone's done any work since the last update that hasn't been incorporated, please post and we can get everything integrated.

Once I have my new computer, I'm hoping to get a handle on using GIT and thus improvements to the aircraft will be much more readily available, and collaboration much easier.

Oh, and the FG Typhoon now has a Twitter account - please check it out: @FGTyphoon
Algernon
Algernon

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft