Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Alral,

Windows reflection is an option you can enble or disable in the menu : "Douglas DC3/C47 > Options > Glass reflection"
If you disable it the effect is disable inside cockpit. From outside cockpit this effect isn't used. Do you think it will be good to implement this effect for outside windows of cockpit ?

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Alral » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:07 pm

I afraid you understood me incorrectly...
I don't mean glass reflection - it's all OK with this.
I mean this effect:
You see the window is (at least, seems to me) glowing, so you can see not much. Windows used to be glowing when watching from outside as well. Now, when watching from outside, windows are dark. But inside they are still emitting light. I guess they should emit light when watched from outside, not from inside, am I right? Or is it something else here?
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9312

Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes
No creed and no religion...
(Iron Maiden, "Coming home")

Constellation in the night sky
Alral

Callsign: Alral
Version: 2018

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Oh yes I'm confusing Alral, effectively this bug fix isn't yet released. But it has been fixed and I tell you when the next release will be available included the fix of this bug (before middle January)

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Alral » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Maybe you could tell me what's to be changed to switch this light off? If it isn't hard for you, of cause.
In the previous version I found where to make it not glowing (I don't remember exactly which of XML files was that), but now I cannot...Either it has changed (and I see no sign of anything looking similar - even searching by "illumination" in files contents of the Models folder gives no results) or I am missing something, but didn't find anything yet.
Thank you.

Alral

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Alral wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm:Maybe you could tell me what's to be changed to switch this light off? If it isn't hard for you, of cause.

The problem come from texture who is assigned on glass model. In the AC3D file (interior.ac) the glass are assigned to interior.png. You just need to unassign the glass to this texture.
If you don't know how to do this, I assure I come back to tell you when we release our next improvements ;)

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Alral » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm

OK...I think I will do it (I suspect setting 'emission' part to 0 could be enough)

Alral

Lack of Respect of GNU GPL- Copyright Violation?

Postby Pierre.Mueller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 pm

helijah wrote:"A total lack of respect of the GPL."

Please tell me: Isn't using restricted material like photos, images and sounds found on the internet without asking a total lack of respect of the GNU GPL as well?

So please tell me if you have the official permssion by the National Air and Space Museum in Washington/ USA for:

Bell-X1/Models/Interior/Panel/colors.png
It looks exactly like the Image which can be found by Google
(Link: http://www.nasm.si.edu/imageDetail.cfm?imageID=2924)
and is provided and protected by the National Air and Space Museum. I can't see in the file that the museum gave permission for using it.

Ryan-SoSL/Models/Interior/Panel/color.png
To my knowledge the SoSL with exact such a panel is in the National Aerospace Museum at Washington. No public access, and there is no
wikimedia source available.
Maybe it can be found here: http://x-plane.org/home/mf70/Images/Lindy-panel.jpg
or here: http://www.blueberrybrands.com/retained ... -panel.jpg.
All pictures seems to be heavily edited, but on the specular reflection on the middle up it looks the same.
The ReadMe says that the textures are provided by another author, but the french part of the ReadMe says only of the livery- not the cockpit panel.

And please tell me if you have the permission by the original photographer of following used images:

The image used in C-160-Transall/Models/Interior/Panel/colors.png
The original source can be find again on Airliners.net: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 295757.jpg
The ReadMe file doens't list any permission.

The image used in TU-95/Models/Interior/Panel/colors.png
The original source can be find again on Airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ukraine- ... 1744941/L/
The ReadMe file doens't list any permission. You can easily compare it with this picture: http://helijah.free.fr/blender/paneltu95.png

The same with the Ec665 Tigre- the image used in Tigre/Models/Interior/Panel/colors.png
looks exactly like this one here: http://www.airforceworld.com/heli/gfx/t ... ger_cp.jpg
The ReadMe file doens't list any permission.

Now about the sounds:
The Bell-222X "Airwolf" does make use of the original sound, which is copyrighted by CBS. In the past some videos on youtube had been deleted because using this sound and music.
The regarding sound-file (Bell-222X/Sounds/hurlement.wav) is the original sound from the TV-series and is very surly not compatible with GNU GPL.

The same on the Bell UH1.
While the rotor-sounds are recorded and provided under GNU GPL by Maik Justus (at least the -set.xml states like that), the tonnere.wav aka "Ride of the Valkyrie"
seems to be not GNU GPL compatible as well.

In the case I' wrong here please tell us and quote the permission made by the original authors in the ReadMe- that will prevent you and the whole FGFS Project to be sued by third party laywers! If I'm right please remove the mentioned file!

Kind Regards
Pierre Mueller
Switzerland
Pierre.Mueller

Re: Lack of Respect of GNU GPL- Copyright Violation?

Postby helijah » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Pierre.Mueller wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 pm:
helijah wrote:"A total lack of respect of the GPL."

OK Pierre, but you forget a detail. The images are only used for development. Sounds can be changed. This was done by Baboon on some models in my hangar etc ... This are only phases of development. In no event shall the finished products. These images serve as models and will eventually disappear.

"Ride of the Valkyrie" : 1854 -> 2011 then 157 years.... more 70 years. Public domain normally :)

for the Bell X1 the picture comes from here : http://www.aviationexplorer.com/bell_x1_facts.htm for example

For the Bell 222X you right :) But unlike YouTube and other projects. FG is not for profit and me, I do not earn anything with my aircrafts. And of course you omit voluntarily Carreidas for which I have actually the authorization, the Stamp SV4 ditto etc. .... If in doubt obvious I'm the first to ask permission. But we must stop being paranoid. My planes are all originals, not copies from FS and / or X-Plane as can be seen somtimes in FG.

But you're right, sometimes there are licensing some images. But in this case should I remove them and prevent other developer to work on the plane ? But you're right, sometimes there are licensing some images. But in this case should I remove them and stop other developer to work on the plane ? I recall that GIT is a place of development, and not distribution of finished product . We must stop any mix.

Regards. Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby stuart » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I have had to waste some of my valuable personal time at Christmas removing personal attacks from this topic. Such attacks are not acceptable on these forums.

Anyone making a further personal attack will be banned for a week.

Happy Christmas everyone!

-Stuart (the mod)
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby El Flauta » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Licencing aircrafts with GPL is not an obligation, but a choice; a non-GPL aircraft just will be away of the official package, but anyone is free to make and install them.

The problem only appears if a GPL licenced aircraft have non-GPL items on it, due contradictory licence uses at same time.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Re: Lack of Respect of GNU GPL- Copyright Violation?

Postby Pierre.Mueller » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 pm

helijah wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:36 pm:
OK Pierre, but you forget a detail. The images are only used for development. Sounds can be changed. This was done by Baboon on some models in my hangar etc ... This are only phases of development. In no event shall the finished products. These images serve as models and will eventually disappear.

You are wrong.

You have published "your developement" work already under GNU GPL in the FGdata repository, on the FG Download page and your homepage. With using the mentioned images you have violated the rights of those who has created the images. And this is not compatible with GNU GPL!

The same applies for sounds- remove it!

"Ride of the Valkyrie" : 1854 -> 2011 then 157 years.... more 70 years. Public domain normally :)

Not quite right. The "sheet music" is already under the public domain, but not a specific recording by a orchestra.
When as example the Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestras records "Ride of the Valkyrie" and publish them under "Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestras Ride of the Valkyrie" you are not allowed to use it without their permission!
The same applies to Movie sounds!

Or did you mixed the "flapflap" and Engine and Wind sound over the "Ride of the Valkyrie"-Sound?
No you didn't- you just used a recording from the Apocalypse Now-Movie which can be found on Youtube again, which is copyrighted and protected by Zoetrope Studios!

Make sure you are using only GNU GPL compatible sounds.

for the Bell X1 the picture comes from here : http://www.aviationexplorer.com/bell_x1_facts.htm for example

I see no sign of permission on their website- so the image is copyrighted- it isn't compatible with GNU GPL and so you are not allowed to use those images!

For the Bell 222X you right :) But unlike YouTube and other projects. FG is not for profit and me, I do not earn anything with my aircrafts. And of course you omit voluntarily Carreidas for which I have actually the authorization, the Stamp SV4 ditto etc. .... If in doubt obvious I'm the first to ask permission. But we must stop being paranoid. My planes are all originals, not copies from FS and / or X-Plane as can be seen somtimes in FG.

CBS Cooperation does care about the use of their work.
FGFS Project does make use of GNU GPL v2 which allows to sell this work. In this case they won't make any difference - you are not allowed to use protected sounds!

But you're right, sometimes there are licensing some images. But in this case should I remove them and prevent other developer to work on the plane ?

Yes!
Everyone here has access to Google, Yahoo etc and can look for reference images on their own!

I recall that GIT is a place of development, and not distribution of finished product . We must stop any mix.

GNU GPL Licence and other licences, especially image licence doesn't care about something being in developement.
With FGdata on gitorious.org it is downloadable and open to everyone on the net, it can be accessed by everyone. So you have already violated the licence as I said already above!
And not only that- from FGdata every 6 months the official hangar is made by just packaging and providing it as .zip!

When you are able to ask the copyright holders of the Carreidas, then you should be able to ask other copyright holders as well!

You show a serious lack of understanding the GNU GPL licence! Interesting, especially regarding your already deleted statements from yesterday!

Remove the copyrighted things!

El Flauta wrote:The problem only appears if a GPL licenced aircraft have non-GPL items on it, due contradictory licence uses at same time.

Right, this is the problem here!

Pierre Mueller
Switzerland
Pierre.Mueller

Postby flyingman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:56 pm

i'am not moderator but
Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control is'nt the good subject to speak about that.
flyingman

Postby helijah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:23 am

flyingman wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:56 pm:i'am not moderator but
Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control is'nt the good subject to speak about that.

Absolutely. And then criticize 7 aircrafts among 201 in my hangar is at the limit of the archarnement. It turns out that nobody is perfect and sometimes I can happen to make mistakes. That human, isn't it.

Simply, maintain 201 aircraft is not an easy job and more 90% are fully GPL. It's not so bad.

It is easy to always criticize. Personally I prefer to continue working to improve FG and not just try to destroy it.

Regards. Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby AlexisFR » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:09 pm

helijah wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:23 am:Simply, maintain 201 aircraft is not an easy job and more 90% are fully GPL. It's not so bad.

It is not an excuse. It's a shame to use this pretext. If you can not maintain all your aircraft, don't make it.

But this topic is about the DC-3, so please speak about the DC-3.

Let me introduce myself, I'm Alexis, one of the french member of the PAF and I'm very happy to see that you like the DC-3 !

I had some problems during the registering on this forum, with my first e-mail adress, I can not recieve link in order to activate my account, I've use an other e-mail adress...
But now I can help F-JJTH to answer of your questions !

As you can read, we are working on an other version of the DC-3 alvalable on the PAF hangar, due to a profound lack of respect for our members, we can't work with helijah. I hope you can understand our decision.

On the DC-3, I'm working on tutorials to try to make it accessible to all (new tutorials will be alvailable with the next stable version of the DC-3).

sorry for bad english, Alexis
AlexisFR

Postby eekpo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:50 pm

canceled
Last edited by eekpo on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eekpo
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft