Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Postby helijah » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 pm

El Flauta wrote in Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:39 pm:I was talking about the cones which try to simulate a light ray, not about any aircraft light itself.

LANDING LIGHT are the cones and if you use the 2 switch (see the photo in post number 378) you can turn off just the cones

And I'm sorry if your version of FG does not support the light cones. On the GIT version there is no worries.
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby El Flauta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am

I tried with the switches the first time, Helijah, even before you posted the pic :wink: And all i got was:
    Only switch 1 = Light L + cone L
    Only switch 2 = Light R + cone R
    Switches 1+2 = Lights L/R + cones L/R
I didn't get a way to have just the lights without cones (my FG version is flightGear 2.4, NVidia NX8600GT 512mb graphics).

---

PS: When the paintkit will be available? I want to make some liveries
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:18 am

El Flauta wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am:I didn't get a way to have just the lights without cones (my FG version is flightGear 2.4, NVidia NX8600GT 512mb graphics).

Think you will need to modify the model xml to do that...shouldn't be difficult.

cheers
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby El Flauta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 am

I guess that should be easy. I can do it, sure. But not all people have xml editing experience -or time, or mood- or maybe not all users want to modify their xml any time the plane is updated... so, i think that a great addition like the menu entry on CRJ700 Family could be nice:

Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby Gijs » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 am

There's a fix for the light cones in Git, that should also work for 2.4.0.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby helijah » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 am

El Flauta wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am:I tried with the switches the first time, Helijah, even before you posted the pic :wink: And all i got was:
    Only switch 1 = Light L + cone L
    Only switch 2 = Light R + cone R
    Switches 1+2 = Lights L/R + cones L/R
I didn't get a way to have just the lights without cones

Hum I don't understand. The swictch 4 and 5 are just for cones.

A menu to do this? The purpose of the Dc 3 team is to be as faithful as possible to the true. FG is a simulator not a game!

El Flauta wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am:PS: When the paintkit will be available? I want to make some liveries

and use the file texture.xcf.gz, (format GIMP) with all the layers do not suit you ?

Regards Emmanuel
and
helijah

Postby gooneybird » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:21 am

El Flauta wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am:PS: When the paintkit will be available? I want to make some liveries

I posted an Inkscape paint kit here http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13629&start=15#p137779
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby El Flauta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:39 pm

helijah wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 am:A menu to do this? The purpose of the Dc 3 team is to be as faithful as possible to the true. FG is a simulator not a game!

Oh, i'm 100% OK with this. I even didn't like to add a "Autostart" option to the current Dromader development at first, but well... sometimes a deal is neccesary. However, i am talking only about the "Hide cones" option. Nobody said anything about a "Turn lights ON" menu here.

helijah wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 am: and use the file texture.xcf.gz, (format GIMP) with all the layers do not suit you ?

I didn't notice it before. Sorry.
Luckly, there are a Inkscape paintkit now. I preffer to work in vectorial, the results are always looks much sharp & better. Thanks.

---
Thanks for the patch... despite I don't like these light cones yet, and in spanish-latinamerican forum most active people still without like them, too, even when they looks smooth; personally, i preffer to dream with a simulator with real lighting someday :) In real life, the only way to see a light ray is with fog, smoke or dust; they never looks floating by their own. That's rare to me and other people.
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby HHS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:00 pm

El Flauta wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:39 pm:---
Thanks for the patch... despite I don't like these light cones yet, and in spanish-latinamerican forum most active people still without like them, too, even when they looks smooth; personally, i preffer to dream with a simulator with real lighting someday :) In real life, the only way to see a light ray is with fog, smoke or dust; they never looks floating by their own. That's rare to me and other people.

True words.
As Gijs said, the Light Cones only multiply the existing light. Which means that the maximum of the light intensity of the Cones is at Noon, and at minimum=zero at midnight.
But the cones should be visible only in foggy situations like fog, smog, dust, raining or snowing, and bright up the underlying surfaces at night and dark situations.
Those cones was a nice idea and experiment by Zan, but makes a good aircraft look a bit ugly :oops:
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby helijah » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:07 pm

In space is possible. But the air is polluted on the earth. Dust exists all around us. Believe that air is clean at the point of not seeing a ray of light is silly!

El Flauta : I repeat the switches shown apply only to cones. Where is the problem? Bug chair/Table can be?
All light are on exept cones

P.S. "silly" is maybe the bad word, but I haven't find other.
and
helijah

Postby HHS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Let it me say it in different way: the virtual air pollution doesn't match to the visibility strength of the Light Cones
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby helijah » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm

HHS wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm:Let it me say it in different way: the virtual air pollution doesn't match to the visibility strength of the Light Cones

If you do not like the cones you turn off it. And you avoid unnecessary and ridiculous discussion.
and
helijah

Postby HHS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Like El Flauta said: when you turn them off you don't have any landing light anymore. Instead it would be a great feature that the visibilty of the light cones depends on: /environment/visibility-m

It is just a feature-request to the team behind this aircraft.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby El Flauta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:30 pm

helijah wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:07 pm:El Flauta : I repeat the switches shown apply only to cones. Where is the problem? Bug chair/Table can be?

P.S. "silly" is maybe the bad word, but I haven't find other.

You don't need to be ironic, Helijah, and don't take it personal (and you are talking about a "Layer 8 error"... but i don't want to follow that mood when talking here) :wink:

In your pic, i see clearly the landing lights turned OFF. My proposal was so easy: Landing lights ON and cones hidden at same time.
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

As Gijs said, the Light Cones only multiply the existing light. Which means that the maximum of the light intensity of the Cones is at Noon, and at minimum=zero at midnight.

Stupid question (since I just spent a few days arguing with a fragment shader) - I thought I can assign any color I like to a pixel in the shader - including the color of the original texture. So why are we using an augmentation of the existing light here? Where do I find the code - there has to be a better solution...

Instead it would be a great feature that the visibilty of the light cones depends on: /environment/visibility-m

That can't be too difficult either - just mix the color of cones with the background with a function of visibility. But you may want to wait for developments - I'm currently creating an environment in which fog and haze are not defined by a single overall parameter, but take different values along a single light ray. In my current ground haze shader setup, using /environment/visibility-m would give incorrect results and /environment/ground-visibility-m would be the relevant parameter. Should this become standard (and since the visual effects are rather compelling, that may well happen) you may want to adopt that convention eventually.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft