Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Postby F-JJTH » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 pm

If you press "Ctrl+c" you can see all interactive object, and you can see that the wipers is interactive ;)
Click on it : ON/OFF
Mouse wheel : adjust speed

Wipers is available only if at least one engine is running because wipers working with hydraulic and hydraulic is provided by engine ;)

This feature is available in the PAF team version of the DC-3 I don't know if it's available in GIT. I suggest you to download the DC-3 from PAF team Hangar ;) (look my signature)

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby AlexisFR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

F-JJTH wrote in Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 pm:This feature is available in the PAF team version of the DC-3 I don't know if it's available in GIT. I suggest you to download the DC-3 from PAF team Hangar ;) (look my signature)

Yes, I don't know if it has been said on the forum. Because of different orientations about the aircraft development, members of the PAF have decided to continue the development of the aircraft independently of Mr. Baranger (respecting the terms of the GPL). There is currently two versions of the DC-3 and there are some differences. Apologies for the people who don't understand why in there helijah's version, something described here doesn't work. But it does not diminish our desire to share our work with the community and you can download latest version of all the aircraft here : http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com/t835-hangar-de-la-paf

I'm very happy to read all the remarks on the DC-3, we can fix all the bugs, so continue !

All the best, Alexis
AlexisFR

Postby Buckaroo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Howdy,

I've created an alternate YASim FDM for the DC-3/C-47:

FDM: http://www.buckarooshangar.com/flightgear/misc/dc-3-yasim_buck.xml

Flight notes: http://www.buckarooshangar.com/flightgear/misc/dc-3-yasim_buck_flightnotes.txt
Flight notes (htmlified a bit): http://www.buckarooshangar.com/flightgear/misc/dc-3-yasim_buck_flightnotes.html

This is a basic FDM with no provisions for cargo or floats. The FDM is built to be compliant with this model, so all you need to do to try it is swap in the new file for the original FDM.

This FDM was made independent of the others and is significantly different, so those interested might want to read my flight notes and the notes included in the FDM file itself, especially when judging its fidelity. I've found it docile and easy to fly if you stay within normal DC-3 flight profiles. I hope someone enjoys it. Anyone who likes it is free to use it in their projects, though it would be nice if you would credit me if you use it. Feel free to contact me with questions or suggestions.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:17 am

Heya Buck. My first impressions are your fdm feels more balanced, and especially the low speed and approach characteristic feel much better. Previously I always seemed to need large amounts of elevator trim on approach and needed to fly the approach and touch down faster than normal to maintain good elevator control. Your version seems much much better in this regard...and low speed handling seems much nicer.

I think the rudder might need a touch more effectiveness though. With any decent amount of breeze I found that full rudder often just didn't help and had to resort to hard differential braking to keep it together. With speeds up during takeoff and during landing roll I expected a bit more response, but maybe I'm just used to it being overly effective and touchy like before. Without a stiff crosswind and after some practice I did start to get used to it though, and even had a couple nice touch downs and rollouts.

I'm not hugely experienced flying this aircraft, and I'll have to play some more, but to me it feels pretty good in the circuit.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Buckaroo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Howdy Tux,

I appreciate you having a look at it. Yeah, you're right. It looks like there's a mistake in my FDM that had the rudder lift set lower than I intended. But after fixing that, it still wasn't enough. This was the fault of my testing strategies-- I tend to fly too much in a controlled fair weather condition so I can get repeatable results and didn't test crosswind conditions thoroughly. I also tend to set values conservatively and work upward.

So I started working in worst-case rated crosswind conditions (13 kts). After some tweaking of the rudder, a worst-case scenario is doable. It's ugly, but it's possible to do it and stay on the runway. I might build them, but you sure don't want me flying them, so I figure if I can manage a landing in those conditions, one that I could walk away from without the airline throwing me in a dungeon, then this setting might be OK.

I uploaded a fix, same link as above. I'll be interested in what you think.

-Buck
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Did a number of landings at KEYW with around 7-10 kts crosswind and it seems better to me now. I mean it's a taildragger so I still have to work for it, but the rudder effectiveness seemed much more positive now, but not overly so...I like it.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Buckaroo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 am

Frabjous! Thanks for testing it out.

Yeah, KEYW, my (adopted) home field for testing in FG. Set winds for 13 knots from the south and that field starts looking awfully small and narrow...

-Buck
Buckaroo

Previous

Return to Aircraft