Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Postby F-JJTH » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi everybody,

The members of the PAF have come together to develop the Douglas DC-3 C47.
After several months of development we are ready to diffuse our collaborative work. The DC-3 is not finished but we believe it is complete enough for share it to you.

Features of the Douglas DC-3 C47:
* 3D model
* Passenger cabin fully textured
* Electrical system
* Dual Control highly developed
* Possibility to transport passengers 4 in MP
* 26 paratroopers

You may notice the old look of the DC-3, this aspect is wanted, in fact, the DC-3 is 1935, it is normal that it is old.
There is much work especially concerning yet:
* FDM
* audio
* 3D Interior

We wanted to be closer to reality. A lot of work has been performed on the Dual Control, no another aircraft or simulator have the potential of this DC-3 C47:
* The copilot can control the whole cockpit
* DC-3 can transport 4 passengers, these passengers are real players, but do not act on commands

Dual Control instructions : open the "Douglas Dc3 menu" then click on "Select MP-(co)pilot" and select your (co)pilot

We are very happy to proposed you a features that doesn't exist anywhere than in FlightGear.

Here are some pictures of the DC-3 C47:

Download link : http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... -de-la-paf
Development link : http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... -dc-3-c-47
Wiki link: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fr/Douglas_DC-3-C47
Wiki link: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Douglas_DC-3-C47

This aircraft will be in the newsletter, maybe in the "Aircraft of the month"...

Cheers,
Clément
Last edited by F-JJTH on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F-JJTH

Re: Douglas DC-3 C47

Postby ot-666 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Wow :shock: What a nice looking aircraft. :D
Thanks for the great work.
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby Michat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Excellent.
Star of Legend

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby El Flauta » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:23 pm

Great :) nice job for a nice aircraft.

However, a less exaggerated bump effect may be very good for the external look of the aircraft.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 am

The interior of the cabin looks great. Very nicely done.

Sealbhach

Re: Douglas DC-3 C47 - Dual Control

Postby gooneybird » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Wow, that interior does look stunning, great work guys :D

Here's the latest screen shot of my first livery, redrawn panel lines and more modifications to the wheels but a lot still to do, Control surfaces, flaps and more details.

Is there any interest in an Inkscape paint kit :?:
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby El Flauta » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm

I want my Inskape Paintikit now! :)

Looks much better
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi gooneybird,

Your livery is great ! Which resolution have you used for this ?
I'm interested by your Inskape PaintKit, is it under GPL ? Feel you free to send me if ;)

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby f-ojac » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Bravo à tous. Still a little bit too much glass reflexion IMHO.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby gooneybird » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm

El Flauta wrote in Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm:I want my Inskape Paintikit now! :)

:lol: :lol:

You will have to wait a little longer, I'm still working on it :wink:

F-JJTH wrote in Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm:Your livery is great ! Which resolution have you used for this ?

I used 4096x4096 for testing, the finished livery will be 2048x2048

I'm interested by your Inskape PaintKit, is it under GPL ? Feel you free to send me if ;)

Yes it will be under GPL, I will post it here when finished and send it to the database If Gijs will accept Inkscape paint kit files.
gooneybird

Postby Gijs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:28 pm

gooneybird wrote in Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm:If Gijs will accept Inkscape paint kit files.

Sure, there are already some in! And if there aren't, I should make an exception for this exceptional aircraft! :D
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:46 pm

I've had some fun flying this old bird around, it's very nice but I have some questions/suggestions:

1. The torque or p-factor is very strong, is it realistic? I can just about make it to take off without going off the runway.

2. I have not managed to do a proper landing due to the plane being pulled off the runway to the left, often going into a spin. If it is the torque or p-factor effect, should it still be pulling me to the left if I have the engines at idle just before touching the wheels on the runway?

3. The glass effect in the cockpit windows is very strong, it's difficult to see out. Perhaps make it an option to turn the glass effect on or off.

4. There doesn't seem to be any working navigation equipment. Without the map I would be lost!

5. How do I get it to go faster? I haven't managed to make it fly faster than 140 IAS.

6. When should I use those big red feather buttons, on right and left.

Sealbhach

Postby gooneybird » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

You are not alone there I'm having the same problems, I thought It was just my rubbish flying :wink: .

Livery and paint kit should be finished in a couple of days, just finished the flaps and control surfaces.

gooneybird

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Sealbhach,

Thanks you for your congratulation.

1. I think you haven't locked the tail wheel, that is the cause of your disagreement.

2. Idem that for the first question, it is absolutely important to lock the tail wheel

3. Yeah, we wasn't watched the difficulty to see out but your are the second guy to say that, so we will fixe it in the next release. Thanks you for your report

4. Compass is working, but the altitude indicator is broken, we work on it. We have much worked on the Dual Control and aesthetic and now we will continue our work

5. The FDM is very very basic, we haven't work on it because nobody in the PAF team know how to improve it. Moreover the documention about Yasim is rare

6. Feathering have no action (but the property is in the FDM). It use in order to minimize the propeller resistance if the engine is down. When you press the feather button the propeller should be go in "flag"

If you want see how to take off and how to land with this aircraft I propose you to do a Dual Control session with me. Tomorrow 05:30 pm UTC at TNCM if you want ;)

Keep on your mind that the DC-3 is under development, if I should giving a status I say the advancement is near to 25% so we have 75% of work yet! :shock:

@gooneybird : very very nice livery !

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Sealbhach » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 am

F-JJTH wrote in Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am:1. I think you haven't locked the tail wheel, that is the cause of your disagreement.

2. Idem that for the first question, it is absolutely important to lock the tail wheel

Ah, yes, that works much better. It took a while but I found the switch, it was not visible under the pilot's arm. Is there a keyboard shortcut for it?

F-JJTH wrote in Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am:3. Yeah, we wasn't watched the difficulty to see out but your are the second guy to say that, so we will fixe it in the next release. Thanks you for your report

The windows are actually OK, I was flying in poor visibility and blaming it on the glass. I just flew now in clear weather and it was fine.

F-JJTH wrote in Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am:If you want see how to take off and how to land with this aircraft I propose you to do a Dual Control session with me. Tomorrow 05:30 pm UTC at TNCM if you want ;)

Ha ha, thanks, that is very good customer support. :D However that is not a good time for me tomorrow, maybe some other time. Thanks very much for your helpful replies and congratulations to you and the team on a really good looking plane.

P.S. Are you making a simple autopilot?

Sealbhach

Next

Return to Aircraft