Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Embraer 170 Development (NEW RELEASE 20/09/2011)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Embraer 170 Development (Again...)

Postby Muffinman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah they are static dischargers. They decrease the chance of the plane being struck by lightning. So they are kind of important. :D
My personal livery collection. Specializing in Star Alliance and oneworld airlines and logojets.
Muffinman

Callsign: N626CM
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby omega95 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 am

I've remodeled the seats and redid the 170 adn 175 cabins. All the cabins will also be dual-class.

The IFES is temporary and I'll be creating an interactive IFES soon. This is even written on the IFES :mrgreen:

Anyway, currently, I'm working on light-mapping it.

And, thank you skyop for the textures and the OHbins. :D
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby omega95 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 am

The Embraer ERJ190 and ERJ195 cockpits have HUDs..
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 am

Great modeling as always!

...Just one thing, though... Are the HUDs directly from the 787?

I personally thought the textures for those were extremely pixelated and nearly illegible... Is there some sort of improvement offered on that problem in your HUD?
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby omega95 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 am

Embraer ERJ195 now in FlightGear! I'll be making a release of the whole ERJ series as soon as I/someone gets the AP working! PLEASE HELP! :shock:

Are the HUDs directly from the 787?

Yea, they're from the 787 as the HUDs are the same anyway. About the pixelated texture, it's kinda small so it'd appear that way. I think I'll can re-do the texture for it anyway. :D
omega95

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 pm

omega95 wrote in Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 am:Yea, they're from the 787 as the HUDs are the same anyway. About the pixelated texture, it's kinda small so it'd appear that way. I think I'll can re-do the texture for it anyway.

Awesome -Thank you, and good luck fixing it!
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby omega95 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:00 pm

I dumped the CRJ700 AP and wrote one from scratch... Used the A320s, Markus's 747 and the 777s as a reference. I finally got every AP feature (except the VNAV ofcourse) too work and I also tuned it! I think I'll make another test release soon... :D
omega95

Postby Trez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 pm

ok glad to see your moving on

will the test release be availible to everyone? because i am anxious to try :mrgreen:
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby Boeing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Hey can you make the view point closer to the plane like the CRJ-700?
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby rafa23189 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 am

Well it look very much like the real one.
rafa23189

Postby omega95 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:35 am

Tristar wrote in Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 pm:will the test release be availible to everyone? because i am anxious to try :mrgreen:

I've already made TEST RELEASE v1.0 but that has a lot of errors. Those are fixed in the release I'm making right after I make this post. It's available to the public ofcourse, and I also made the A330 available to the public... You can get all my stuff at my hangar.

Boeing wrote in Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm:Hey can you make the view point closer to the plane like the CRJ-700?

Nah, I increased the chase distance cuz I really didn't like the CRJ700's panoramic view.. It makes the plane look really weird but if you want it like that, just zoom in or decrease the chase distance in the -set.xml file :D
omega95

Postby omega95 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 am

An Idea of the cockpit

Upper Pedestal

Lower Pedestal

Autopilot / Mode Control Panel

Buttons
FD Flight Director
NAV Lateral Mode : NAVIGATION (select this, choose your source and engage AP to use navigation mode)
APP Vertical Mode : APPROACH (this is used to intercept the glideslope, keep NAV on LOC1 and this for an ILS landing)
BANK 15 Degree Bank : Normally, the bank angle is set to 25 degrees, enabling this will change it to 15 degrees for slower but more comfortable turns. Use this while cruising but disable it for ILS landing.
HDG Lateral Mode : HEADING (select this and engage AP to activate heading hold)
AP Engage/Disengage Autopilot
YD Engage/Disengage Yaw Damper
SRC Use this to select your navigation source. See the sources in the Primary Flight Display.
A/T Engage/Disengage Auto-throttle
IAS/MACH Click on the text to switch between KIAS (knots indicated air-speed) and Mach
ALT Vertical Mode : ALTITUDE (select this and engage AP to activate altitude hold)
FPA Vertical Mode : FLIGHT PATH ANGLE (select this and use the knob to vary your flight path angle)
VS Vertical Mode : VERTICAL SPEED (select this and use the knob to control your vertical speed, the speed will be visible on the PFD)

Knobs
CRS1 Course 1
HDG Heading Select
SPEED Speed Select
ALT SEL Altitude Select
FPA SEL Flight Path Angle Select
CRS2 Course 2

Navigation Modes
LOC1 Localizer 1, directs plane to VORL / VOR1 / NAV1
LOC2 Localizer 2, directs plane to VORR / VOR2 / NAV2
FMS1 Flight Management System, follows the route in the FMC/Route Manager
omega95

Postby omega95 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:36 am

Example Pattern Flight Howto

I did a short example pattern around Singapore Changi Intl. Airport. This pattern uses most of the stuff you'll need to know to route and fly a flight. In this pattern, we'll be departing from Singapore Airport Ruwnay 20R, and we'll be following this plan to get us around and into the 20R Localizer (ICH) for approach : SJ --> BONSU --> JB --> AKOMA --> ICH (Localizer for 20R)

Starting up

Turn on the MASTER switch, the APU GEN and set the APU CONTROL knob to START. (You can also switch on the Batteries (BATT1 or BATT2) to see the screens withouts starting up the engines yet, this helps conserve fuel)

Wait till the APU status indicator turns to RUNNING.

Set the Engine IGNITION switches to AUTO and open the engine starter cases.

Wait till the N1 becomes 5 and N2 becomes 25.

Then, start the engines from the powerplant panel.

The Engines are started up when the N1 becomes 30 and N2 becomes 60.

Set flaps to 1 notch for take off.

Taxi/Take-off Preparations

Click on the WEATHER menu in the PFD to find out the weather conditions. If there's a thunderstorm, a huge red indicator will pop up warning you.

In the DOORS menu, make sure your ladders are in and your doors are locked. RED means locked and GREEN means usable.

Push the parking brake lever in and move you can use the trimmers to trim the surfaces according to the wind.

Entering your route into the FMC

You can directly enter your route into the Route manager, or enter it in the DEP/ARR menu and route it but I've chosen to enter them as legs so I have more freedom.

Click on the LEGS button on the FMC.

Enter your first waypoint and click on the top left button on the FMC (next to the screen), the first one won't appear.
Now, you can enter the waypoints in the right order and press the button next to the empty slot to put it there but then you can only put in 5. I add the routes from the bottom and press the top-left button to put it on top of the other.
As I said, I put SJ first (which doesn't come on the screen), then BONSU (which is the next waypoint) and then ICH (which is the last one)... Then I put them in reverse order, AKOMA then JB but if you press the top-left button on the FMC, they get into the correct order as in the screenshot.

Then, click on the RTE button.

Type in WSSS and click on the top-right button next to the screen to put it in the DEST slot. You can put WSSS in the ORIGIN slot too if you want but it doesn't make a difference.

The first waypoint should automatically come up on your TCAS but as long as you're on the ground, it shows your distance to it as 0, that's one benefit of adding WSSS as your ORIGIN too.

And if you click on the PLAN menu, you'll be able to see the whole route (in this case) and if your route consists of more than 10 waypoints, you only see the next 10.

Preparing the Autopilot

As long as the AP and A/T buttons are unselected, the Autopilot is disengaged, so you can prep it up first and engage it when you're airborne/need it.

Change the Vertical mode to ALT and change it to 5000 ft (or what you want for your pattern).

Change the Lateral mode to NAV (Navigation) and change the source to FMS1 so that the AP follows your route. You can see which source you selected in the PFD.

Click on the NAV RAD button on the FMC to enter your frequencies and radials.

For the glideslope ICH (WSSS 20R), the frequency is 108.90

Now, you're almost ready to go...

Take-off and Climb

Go to the INDEX / INIT PREF in the FMC and click on TAKE OFF. Make a note of your V1, VR and V2. In different E-jets, it's different cuz of change in lift ratio and weights.

Throttle up full and use the rudder to stay in the center of the runway. When you get to Vr (126 knots here), pull up and you should be off the ground by V2 (136 knots here). Once you're off and positive climb is confirmed, pull the gear lever up.

[img]You%20can%20be%20sure%20if%20your%20gears%20are%20locked%20if%203%20RED%20UP%20indicators%20come%20on%20in%20the%20EICAS.[/img]

Maintain about 10 degrees for a nice and smooth climb.

Turn the speed knob to show 250 knots IAS (in the PFD) and engage the auto-throttle (A/T)

Once you're at about 3000 ft, (if ATC is present, LISTEN TO HIM!) you can engage your auto-pilot. You had your NAV and ALT set earlier, so just by clicking on AP, you should be well off.

Also move your flaps to 0 notches.

Flying your Plan

You don't have to do much here as the autopilot should take you to your final waypoint.

As I said, the first waypoint (SJ) moved to it's original position once you got off the ground. In the PFD, you can see your AP settings. Note that you need your VS (on the right on ALT) to be above 0 to climb. Adjust the VS to climb at that rate. If you have your VS lesser than 0, then you won't climb. I'll also click on the BANK button to make the turns smoother.

In the map, you can see that the plane is already on it's way to the first waypoint SJ.

Once you reach a way-point, it disappears from the TCAS and the next one comes on. Now, it's BONSU. The top right indicator tells your the waypoint ID, the course and distance to it.

With your current settings, the AP should get you to 5000 ft at 250 knots and following your route.

Alright, so I just left it at that for about 5 minutes till I passed JB and closed in on AKOMA.

Now, from the map, I can see that I'd have to turn right to about 110 degrees to intercept the ICH localizer I'm tuned for.

Still, on nav mode (to prevent the AP from making any sudden movements), I rotate the HDG knob to 110 degrees (as shown in the PFD)

When you've reached AKOMA, set the lateral mode to HDG and the plane should start turning right to 110.

Approach and Landing

When you close in on the Approach Path, the Lateral Glide-slope needle in the PFD should move into the main area. Then, change your lateral mode to NAV and change the NAV Source to LOC1.

The plane should automatically align itself to the runway.

You can intercept the Glide-slope when you've less than 10 nm from the airport and the vertical glide-slope needle moves to the middle bar.

To intercept the Glide-slope, just click on the APP button on the Autopilot panel. Then rotate the speed knob to show 145 knots and lower your flaps down full.

Lower your gear and when the gears are locked down, you should get 3 GREEN DOWN indicators on the EICAS.

This picture was just for fun. :mrgreen:

When you're about 300 ft off the ground, you can disengage the AP and A/T and take manual control of the plane for landing.

Then start retarding and make a nice flare for a smooth touchdown. Be careful not to flare too much on the Embraer ERJ190 and ERJ195 as their tails are much longer.

After you touchdown, engage the reverser's (the spoilers should automatically go up if you've set AUTOBRAKE)

Once your're under 70 knots, the spoilers go down and you can slightly hit the brakes to slow down further. Disengage your reverser's and when you're down to 30 or 40 knots, exit the runway (this is usually by the ATC's instruction)

Taxi to your gate and park. The ERJs are animated jetways compatible but now, I'm not going to a jetway as I want to get the stairs out. :wink:

Shutting down the plane

Turn the batteries back on (so the screens will stay on) and turn off the IDGs (engine generators)

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rD2mweXn_i4/Tmm6XPDlILI/AAAAAAAAByo/uYqRmDVCohA/s640/fgfs-screen-615.jpeg[/img
Open up the engine starter cases and turn the knobs to STOP, then close them again.

Click on the doors to open then and click on the area below the doors to get the ladders out.

In the DOORS menu in the MFD, the doors and ladders are open/down and usable when they go green.

Finally, you can turn off the batteries.
omega95

Postby zach » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

Hey Omega95,

I downloaded the A330 and the E-jet family and they are beautiful aircraft. but I'm getting extremely low FPS. Anyway to make them increase?
Zach
zach

Callsign: FGZ

Postby omega95 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 am

zach wrote in Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am:I downloaded the A330 and the E-jet family and they are beautiful aircraft. but I'm getting extremely low FPS. Anyway to make them increase?

While I was testing them, I didn't have any FPS issues... I've flown the A330-200 straight for 14 hour flights and still have been getting smooth frame-rates... The ERJ has reduced my frame-rates sometimes but it's ok now. I've also had a few others test it and they say it gives good fps. Maybe disabling some material shaders might increase your frame-rate. If you have a low-end computer, you can lose fps easily too. 1 way you can easily increase fps is by removing the cabin. So if you don't want the cabins, comment out the interior definitions in the Models/ERJ-170.xml, Models/ERJ-175.xml, Models/ERJ-190.xml and Models/ERJ-195.xml...

To comment out, remove teh '-->' after "Interior" before <model> and add a '--' after </model> in that interior definition.

If that's confusing, just delete the whole cabin definition from '<model>' to '</model> :D
omega95

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft