Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Airbus A320neo (A319,A320,A321)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Airbus A320neo (A319,A320,A321)

Postby polly » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:54 pm

( Outside the 12Hr edit limit ! )
Also, in the nasal deadband functions, when input values are within the specified deadband, neither fbw/control/elevator nor fbw/control/elevator-rate are getting disabled before fbw/stable/elevator is becoming active, again resulting in competing controllers being active together.
polly

Postby omega95 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:50 am

Have you tried the latest version in the flight branch? The only time both are active together would be to stabilized the aircraft at a certain attitude, so it's not exactly competing. I've just written some nasal as a back up to waypoint transition, and now the aircraft flies awesome. I've completed a couple of flights and the fbw's really smooth the way it is. Now, the thing about AP is that it doesn't have separate PIDs that link directly to the control surfaces anymore. Scott suggested that I get the AP to give a certain output, then the FBW to take that in and give the final output. That way, the AP by any chance won't get the aircraft to exceed any limits. :)
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby bicyus » Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Flight Branch Bug fixing for bad texture links (full path) on:

Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/init.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/init.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/fuel.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/fuel.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/deparr-src.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/init/deparr-src.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/data/data.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/sids.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/sids.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/confirm.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/confirm.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/rwys.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"
Models/Instruments/mCDU/tp-dep/rwys.ac:texture "/home/narendran/Documents/GIT Projects/A320neo/Models/Instruments/mCDU/f-pln/f-pln.png"

Correction commited and pushed to Flight branch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omega95 got this error:
Code: Select all
Nasal runtime error: non-numeric string in numeric context
  at /usr/share/games/flightgear/Aircraft/A320neo/Nasal/mCDU/init_B.nas, line 49
  called from: /usr/share/games/flightgear/Aircraft/A320neo/Nasal/mCDU/init_B.nas, line 136
  called from: , line 4
Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: setptop
  at , line 2
GPS: malformed route, index=-1

i tried to enter "VHHH/VHXX" to From/to
bicyus

Callsign: Bicyus
Version: 2.6

Postby sa7k » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I'd guess it's a typo, "setptop" instead of "setprop".
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby bicyus » Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 pm

sa7k wrote in Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 pm:I'd guess it's a typo, "setptop" instead of "setprop".

Typo corrected, but i think there are 2 bugs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omega95, i should encourage you to use the A320neo/Systems/xxx folder instead of A320neo/Nasal/xxx. i would like to rip off Nasal folder, as argued previously.

following same logic i've moved my fbw branch properties inside /systems/fbw/. once again fmgc and mcdu propertyes could go perfectly inside /systems/ Property tree.

;-) nevertheless Incredible work mate!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
on the other hand

We should do a Main develop IRC Meeting soon, i would ask every people involved to join it, and see which is the state of develop.

My Available time for meeting:
12:00 Zulu to 24:00 Zulu
(post yours)
bicyus

Postby omega95 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 am

Hey, try pulling again... And this time, do a short flight with one of the available company routes. We've provided a couple of merlion's routes. You could try EGKK/EIDW or EGKK/EDDF... or if you'd like a flight in Asia, WMKK/WSSS is the shortest. I've completed the Terminal Procedure management stuff (using Scott's fmsDB/fmsTP files)

I did a LOT of flights using the tp manager and it works great. Especially since all of the available merlion company routes get's you exactly to the transition wp. :)

The aircraft still lacks proper hydraulics, so I'll get to that soon. And Jon, if you find time will you be able to resize the old cockpit instruments to fit this? (The old one is like WAY bigger, and it shouldn't be that big) And ofcourse changing the layout of the upper ECAM. :)

Cheers

EDIT: Oh and there's also a small problem with the FBW when doing multiple flights, the aircraft seems to start with the ailerons offset, buut I don't see any problems with the respective properties. And as for the FMGC, it resets when you initialize a new route (add route name or search route in INIT_A and set CRZ FL and TEMP) :D

And now, I'm gunna try a test flight from Singapore (WSSS) to Kota Kinabalu (WBKK) with routes and procedure databases in what's in git. And I'll make a video of a short flight soon, so people have an idea of what to do.

EDIT: Oh crap, sorry about putting the stuff in the Nasal folder, I was just used to that instead of the Systems folder. :oops: I'll move the files into the systems folder soon. And a meeting? We have a merlion board meeting at 1300 UTC today, what about 1200 or 1400 UTC for this?

EDIT: (again lol) Right, the Autopilot dialog is current unusable, you're gunna have to use the Panel. And for later, should I make the new dialog or do you want to do it? And if you're trying out the WSSS to WBKK flight (MIA566), then use CO_RTE > MIASINBKI1, with SID > (any VMR SID) and STAR > EGEN1B :) And as for the property tree, hope you didn't change anything in the flight branch as I'm still working on those things. But, why can't we have flight-management stuff in a separate property tree? It makes more sense... Anyway, if you want to change it, go ahead but can you wait till I finish with this branch? I'll hand these over to you then, so that we don't get confused... (I tend to get confused with branches... a LOT)
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby omega95 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 am

Finished that flight, but there's was some error during transition from Arrival (STAR) to Instrument Approach (IAP), but I think I fixed that. I'm doing another test flight (well, 2 actually as I want to see how the FMGC resets when you start a flight after another) So this one is Merlion Flight 741 from Penang (WMKP) to Singapore Changi Intl. (WSSS). We'll be using MIAData_v3.1's Company Route > MIAPENSIN1 for this flight. Winds suggest I take off at Runway 22 in Penang and land on Runway 20R at Singapore. We want to use the IKIL1D Departure Procedure for Departure from WMKP-22 and LELI1B for Arrival and ILS20R for Approach to WSSS-20R. (The route, SID, STAR and IAP for WMKP and WSSS are included in git)

Departure > IKIL1D

Arrival > LELI1B

Now, on to the aircraft...

Start up normally, turn the Brightness Knob on the mCDU to full and click on INIT to initialize the Flight-plan. Type in WMKP/WSSS and click on LSK-R1 (The one next to FROM/TO).

NOTE: That's simply to search for available routes and select one. If you already know the CO_RTE ID, you can simply enter that in the CO_RTE Field (LSK-L1)

Now, when you search for available routes from WMKP to WSSS, it takes you to this search results page, where you get the route ID on top and the route in the center. We're going to select that route so now, click on LSR-R6 (*INSERT>)

The mCDU automatically enters the selected route ID and initializes a flight-plan. Now, you need to enter the other fields on the INIT_A page, like the CRZ FL, TEMP, Cost Index, Flight Number and Alternate Airport/Route (not yet effective but you CAN enter it).

For Cost Index, any number from 0 to 999 is acceptable. A realistic value will be around 28 to 35. This flight is merlion's MIA741, so that's what I entered in the Flight Number Field. For Alternate Route, you need it in the forum ICAO/CO_RTE_ID, for example (WMKK/MIASINKUL2) and for CRZ FL/TEMP, it has to be ---/TEMP, for example if the cruise altitude is 33000 ft, and the temperature at FL330 is -36 degrees C, you enter 330/-36. (To get the '-', click on +/- on the mCDU key pad twice)

Now, click on either the RIGHT or LEFT arrows to move on to INIT_B (aka. FUEL PREDICTION). If you have a well planned Company Route (all the Routes in the MIAData_v3.1 DB work good), the mCDU predicts the total flight time. You get the fuel blocks and total trip time in the TRIP/TIME Field. (Green Fields cannot be edited, cyan can). Btw, the maximum fuel capacity is 30.2 blocks, you can use that as reference. Now, I want about 2 blocks in reserve if I need to divert to my alternate airport (WMKK), so I type in 2/0 in the RTE RSV/% Field. Note that you can also type in RSV Fuel in Percentage with the following format - 0/6 means 6%. If you type in Blocks, it calculates percent and vice-versa. You can also enter the Fuel in Blocks you want to have and how long it'd last when you arrive in the FINAL/TIME field.

ZFW is the Zero fuel weight of the aircraft in 1000 lbs and ZFWCG is the CG of ZFW. By default, the values are 125.5 and 25.5 but you can change it accordingly. Now, enter the fuel in blocks you have on board in the BLOCK Field. (A very good value will be TRIP + RTE RSV + FINAL but I put in a bit more) EXTRA/TIME shows the extra fuel in blocks you'll have and how long that'll keep you in the air for. (0110 means 110 minutes, I still need to convert it into HHMM format)

And using your entries, the mCDU calculates TOW and LW. It's important that ZFW is correct as the TOW/LW calculation is based on that and blocks.

Now, you can go into the RAD NAV page and enter the radio frequencies. I entered 108.90 in the ILS/FREQ Field as that's the frequency for ILS-20R at WSSS. Then for VOR1 and VOR2, you can EITHER enter the Frequency or the VOR ID. For example, I entered NKS in VOR2 and it automatically fills in the FREQ.

Now, let's go into the F-PLN page. This page shows us the whole flight plan for the flight. From here, click on LSK-L1 (The button next to WMKP) to select Departure Procedure (SID)

In the general LAT REV FROM xxxxx page, you can enter next waypoint, in the NEXT WP Field, add a new destination after this wp in the NEW DEST Field or Direct to (Sorta like JUMP TO) this waypoint by clicking on DIR TO>. In other waypoints (not possible for Departure and Destination), you'll have the DEL WPT option to delete the selected waypoint. Now, click on <DEPARTURE to select a SID.

In the DEPARTURE FROM WMKP Page, select an available runway for departure. (The winds from 249, so I selected runway 22) The runway ids are on the left, runway lengths on the center, course and widths (ft) on the right. Just click on one of the Left LSKs next to the runway to select it.

Once you select the runway, you get to the page with available SIDs (Note that you can scroll through runways and TPs with the up and down arrows). Click on an LSK next to the SID you want. I'll be selecting IKIL1D.

Now, in the SID Confirmation page, click on TMPY INSERT to confirm the SID you selected. If you want to re-select a sid, click on TMPY ERASE.

Now, go back to the Flight-Plan and click on the LSK next to WSSS (DEST) to select an arrival procedure.

Now, click on <ARRIVAL.

Select a runway for the landing (I'll be selecting 20R)

And a STAR for arrival into that runway (I'll be selecting LELIB2B.20R)

And ofcourse, confirm it. Note that the FMGC already enters approach and missed appraoch procedures for 20R automatically.

Now, back to the F-PLN. You should notice runways next to the Departure and Destination. Here's something else... we can't fly this route normally as the last waypoint in the route is AFTER the first waypoint in the STAR, so we need to delete our last waypoint (VJR)

Scroll down to the bottom of the F-PLN (using the Down Arrow Key) and click on the LSK next to VJR.

In the LAT REV page, click on DEL WPT to remove that waypoint and return to the flight-plan. You'll see that VJR has been removed.

Now, to set the AP (NOT ENGAGE)... We'll manage speed and altitude manually (even though the FMGC can do it automatically) and heading with FMGC. Click on the HDG knob to set it to MANAGED MODE.

Now you can do the other checklists and stuff, and have a nice flight. :D

omega95

Postby omega95 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 am

Aha! Just found a STAR and IAP Transition error... It seems to get the sid-current into star-current and iap-current instead of it's own. It works "almost" flawlessly if there're very little waypoints in your SID and more than that in STAR but now with the error fixed, it works fine for all SIDs and STARs. Btw, where Terminal Procedure waypoints have no LAT or LON, it automatically directs to the next WP. And that reminds me, the TPs are NOT flown waypoint wise, they're flown to the given co-ordinates, as many waypoints in TPs don't exist in FG. That doesn't make any difference as TPs don't use the Route Manager at all, it's my own separate thing that works fine. :)
omega95

Postby bicyus » Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am

Hi there,

relax! folder stuff was just you to have it in mind.

We should add that Tutorial mCDU to Wiki, in the future.

about meeting, today is too close. xD What about friday? i would like more people to get involved.

i have some doubts on Flight branch, just for your knowledge:
1. there is ND and ND-old folder, you've changed something?
2. I've seen the views names doesn't match with the real views, Like Gear views, show cocpit pedestral... haven't you taken the last views definition? i think that shouln't be changed for the cocpit update.
3. i think the cabin interior is gone?

I'm still working on my FBW branch, with full active approach. So leave pannels by now, it's easy though.
About G-Load factor pitch control, as Polly pointed there are some limitations that will prevent even the perfect PID of doing it right. (DELTA of wings to G-load sensor)
Maybe the reasonablest approach is to fake this mode (to discuss on meeting)

my two cents ;-)
bicyus

Postby omega95 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am:about meeting, today is too close. xD What about friday? i would like more people to get involved.

I won't be available this friday, can we try to do a brief description today itself and then we could have another meeting later. I'm leaving for a program tomorrow and when I get back, I have to leave again to get my US Visa.

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am:there is ND and ND-old folder, you've changed something?

Nah, it's just that I wanted to port the A380 ND into the A320neo (with some changes ofcourse) but I didn't get time to do that. Maybe you could?

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am:I've seen the views names doesn't match with the real views, Like Gear views, show cocpit pedestral... haven't you taken the last views definition? i think that shouln't be changed for the cocpit update.

I don't really understand that... :|

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am:i think the cabin interior is gone?

Oh yea, I disabled it to keep my FPS in the 30s. We'll fix it when we merge it to master later. :)
omega95

Postby bicyus » Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm

omega95 wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm:I won't be available this friday, can we try to do a brief description today itself and then we could have another meeting later. I'm leaving for a program tomorrow and when I get back, I have to leave again to get my US Visa.

Nah, it's just that I wanted to port the A380 ND into the A320neo (with some changes ofcourse) but I didn't get time to do that. Maybe you could?

I'm on IRC NOW,

ND: Do we need to change the ND? or just add WP, MP, etc.. i think is just add some layers. As said , i'm developing FBW.

Active FBW approach, on Stormy Monday wheater + Severe Turbulences

There is no stable attitude, just 0 rate change.
you can see how surfaces try constantly to stabilize. there is no YAW control ATM.
bicyus

Postby omega95 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm:ND: Do we need to change the ND? or just add WP, MP, etc.. i think is just add some layers. As said , i'm developing FBW.

Well, You'd need to add better traffic, WPs, Lines connecting WPs, VORs, NDBs, ARPTs, RWYs etc. You could simply just resize the A380 ND into this.

About FBW, what exactly is wrong with the current FBW? If you change the FBW the FMGC/AP controller will need to be changed. The flight branch FMGC/AP links to the FBW, not the surfaces directly and from all my test flights, I've got AMAZING results. It's really smooth too.

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm:Active FBW approach, on Stormy Monday wheater + Severe Turbulences

Soo, is that good or bad?

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm:There is no stable attitude, just 0 rate change.
you can see how surfaces try constantly to stabilize. there is no YAW control ATM.

Well ofcourse, if you don't use the AP, it doesn't maintain altitude, just attitude. But then it DOES hold attitude in my tests if you have stable PID. In the video, the plane rolled and didn't restore attitude. But with the stab controllers, it does that.

And for yaw, I guess you can look into it. :P
omega95

Postby bicyus » Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm

omega95 wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm:Well, You'd need to add better traffic, WPs, Lines connecting WPs, VORs, NDBs, ARPTs, RWYs etc. You could simply just resize the A380 ND into this.

Well A380 ND is not a resized version of A320 ND:
- Screen aspect ratio is diferent.
- Rotation positions are not in same place, so masive update needed for every rotation object. can't just scale the layer
- i think, actual A380 ND have a bit from Boeing style.
- Actual A320neo ND is FULL NEW, with Airbus A320 style (some misses)

it's easyer (i think) to add the instruments that represent all WPs, VORs, NDBs, ARPTs, RWYs.
but Scott (or shome other) should help about new NavDisplay interface... can't find any info..

omega95 wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm:About FBW, what exactly is wrong with the current FBW? If you change the FBW the FMGC/AP controller will need to be changed. The flight branch FMGC/AP links to the FBW, not the surfaces directly and from all my test flights, I've got AMAZING results. It's really smooth too.

I do not doubt you results on FMGC/AP are amaizing, i would like to test it, but i'm speaking about pilot commanded FBW.
Although you recently have changed you FBW:

- I do not like the active/stable approach
- don't like the nasal structure.
- don't like the Workflow of the code
- don't like the Airbus law logic
- don't like the limitation i see to implement some new features (protections, AP override...etc).
- i think PIDs config are not updated
- etc...

with all this, your code works, but I prefer another way.
by the way this have been told previously

and no, FMGC/AP don't need to be changed. maybe change one or two porperty names.

omega95 wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm:Well ofcourse, if you don't use the AP, it doesn't maintain altitude, just attitude. But then it DOES hold attitude in my tests if you have stable PID. In the video, the plane rolled and didn't restore attitude. But with the stab controllers, it does that.

And for yaw, I guess you can look into it. :P

.... it was just manual, not AP, neutral stick FBW with heavy gusts, and turbulences maintaining attitude, the BIG bank and pitch change is conducted.

it is a prove of concept that active fbw is stable enought.
bicyus

Postby Hooray » Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 pm

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm:but Scott (or shome other) should help about new NavDisplay interface... can't find any info..

Currently, there's no dedicated readme or other documentation. So, the A380 and the Citation-Bravo are the "reference" implementations. The Citation changes implementing the ND are here: http://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/commit/d ... e3b023d6cc
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby omega95 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:18 am

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm:- Screen aspect ratio is diferent.
- Rotation positions are not in same place, so masive update needed for every rotation object. can't just scale the layer
- i think, actual A380 ND have a bit from Boeing style.
- Actual A320neo ND is FULL NEW, with Airbus A320 style (some misses)

Well, yes but where else can you get something that's supposed to be like in the A320neo? And I don't think the A380 ND has anything from Boeing, that's a very well done ND. Anyway, after you work on the ND, remove the Terrain map, as I came up with new, simpler and more efficient code for that. :)

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm:- I do not like the active/stable approach
- don't like the nasal structure.
- don't like the Workflow of the code
- don't like the Airbus law logic
- don't like the limitation i see to implement some new features (protections, AP override...etc).
- i think PIDs config are not updated

Then I see that you don't like the current fbw cuz of the messed up code. :cry: But then the functionality of the fbw is fine, isn't it? Even though the PIDs are not "that" updated, I'm getting VERY good results with these. I'll probably take a video soon or something as I tried it with turbulence yesterday and it's maintaining attitude ALL the time (unlike in your video where the plane rolled and stayed at that!)

bicyus wrote in Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm:and no, FMGC/AP don't need to be changed. maybe change one or two porperty names.

Well, it'd be changed cuz FMGC > FBW > Surfaces, it's not direct like the old AP. The old AP is not used at all anymore. And for stuff like maintaining altitude/heading etc, this is MUCH more stable compared the the old one.

Anyway, I guess you could continue and if the new pilot controlled fbw doesn't heavily effect the rest of the systems, we'll keep the new FBW. :)

And, I'll be gone for a couple of days, so I won't be able to work on anything anytime soon.

When I come back, I guess I'll work on the Hydraulics and animating the rest of the cockpit. And if by the time, the instruments are not resized for the new cockpit, I'll re-make an upper ECAM.

Oh and, can we have all fbw work on fbw-devel-(jon) branch and cockpit, mCDU and FMGC work on flight branch?

Cheers.
omega95

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft