Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Introducing the update of the Cessna 337 Skymaster

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Introducing the update of the Cessna 337 Skymaster

Postby jaques.flightgear » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Dear Fg-Gurus,

could you give me a hint in this issue:

If I start this wonderful a/c I only get a very poor structured interior (s. att.). Can you guess the reason for this behaviour of my system?

jaques.flightgear

Callsign: D-EVIL
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Gijs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Any output in the console (black window, might be hidden below the FlightGear window)?
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby El Flauta » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 am

Jaques, that pic is from a "very old" & very incomplete Skymaster model... i don't know where you got that version, but you can find our last available aircraft in our homepage (February 4, 2012, only for FlightGear 2.4)
---
The update for FlightGear 2.6 is almost ready. We only need to tune the autopilot just a bit :wink:
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby jaques.flightgear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Dear El Flauta,

thank you for your immediate reaction. I appreciated it a lot but I finally solved the problem in another way. The reason why I got this unstructured interior is not really clear for me till now: I already got a recent download and I used it when I got the problem. Despite of this I found an old corpse of a download in another subdirectory of my filetree. Since deletion everything works fine. I'm not going to find out what the reason finally was: Instead I enjoy this fantastic aircraft with well detailed interior.

Keep on your good work. Expecting the new version eagerly!

Cheers

Jaques
jaques.flightgear

Callsign: D-EVIL
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Nando88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello. I want to inform to all people about the next Cessna 337G Skymaster update, which is ready, with some significant changes.

- The plane is able to crash due for hitting the ground or excesive G loads.
- Some menu & dialog development and a new feature: Checklist dialog
- Autostart
- "Navomatic 400A" autopilot (in development, accessible through menu)
- New Heading Indicator (RC Allen RCA15AK), now connected to autopilot
- Big adjustement to ELT functions
- Updated shaders for FlightGear 2.6
- New cockpit animations (panel compartment and visors)
- New splash screen
- There are also 2 new liveries:

The automatic pilot still just in development, but it can be used with the AP menu (F11), but i warn it has some bugs in the animations. We want to fix them in the next update. The menu changes are important; an autostart, an utility menu and a checklist dialog was added.

Here is the link to allow all people to enjoy it:

ViveFG download Cessna337G Skymaster

NOTE: The "crash detect" system may report some problems when Bombable script is installed and working.
Nando88

Callsign: EC-FEJ
Version: 3.0

Postby El Flauta » Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 am

Hello. I want to talk a little more about our updates :)

Visual appaerance: Not so much to add, just a lot of thanks to i4dnf for his recomendations and files for the shaders (The "opaque" one was very useful)

Avionics: The AP still in development, but it works fine through the menu (F11). Being the original Navomatic 400A a very limited autopilot, which only only allows 3 course options (Wings level, Heading, and Coordinated Turns, the last option aren't implemented yet), we provided a dialog in concordance:

The heading can be setted through the new Heading Indicator, just tunning it by the knob.

Dialogs: We implemented some new dialogs into the aircraft. One of them is the "Checklist" dialog, taken from the nice DR-400 of the french team! Good work, i was searching for something like that :)

The second one is a more humble, but useful dialog: "Utility". This dialog was born a day i noticed my keyboard hadn't the key "~" to select both engines! So, we made an engine dialog, and it was just growning a little. Now, is like a "Quick Access" dialog, and maybe a good idea to still developing.

Crash and ELT: Some of the most important new features are related with crashing. We know JSBsim have not an own way to detect crashes, so only few JSBsim aircraft may crash. Again, we taken a system from the DR-400, the "crash-system".

At same time, i had the luck to talk with a SAR (Search And Rescue) service member during the last FIDAE airshow in my country, and he gives me a cool explanation about how ELT systems works. So, the ELT works automatically when crashing, or by pilot request (with the red button). Detailed (and updated) information are available at the FlightGear Wiki ELT article.

Happy flying!
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby F-JJTH » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi El Fauta,

I'm glad to see that our work is used for your aircraft ;)
Also you can use the "ground detection" situated in the file "DR400-jsbSim/Nasal/dr400.nas". This system able to detect if the aircraft is the on water.
For the DR400 we have used your ELT but I have noticed that the MP message isn't visible for other player :? Have you seen this bug ? I haven't any idea why it doesn't work because it seem to be well implemented.

A little feedback : here the Cessna 337 is not compatible with Rembrandt rendering, have you planned to change it ?
And congratulation for your dev ;)

Cheers,
Clément
Last edited by F-JJTH on Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-JJTH

Postby El Flauta » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for your reply :)

I'll check about the ground detection and the ELT multiplay feature... it should work, because is just the "chat" property the used one.
About Rembrandt we have no way to test it now, because we just use the official releases... but, when able, be sure i'll work on it.

Be noticed that ELT works different now, just check de Wiki article.
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby i4dnf » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 pm

For most of the effects it's just a matter of using model-combined-deferred instead of model-combined. It switches itself to the right shaders depending on the renderer that FG is started with. Some of the other efefcts that use other shaders might need some porting, but I'd reccomend using one form of model-combined for most of the effects applied to objects, except of course for the objects that don't need any effect, or the transparent ones which need a bit of special treatment.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby ss2 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi there.

Stumbled across this plane yesterday and have being flying about with it ever since. It is so much fun to fly with it! The feeling it being the better and more powerful standard Cessna 172!
Especially the detailed cockpit. Lovely how much detail was put into there.

Anyway, as I've got the plane over vivefg.org and assume it is the current release, I noticed the lights can not be loaded and this is the following error message:

Code: Select all
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\Beacon.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\NavL.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\NavR.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\NavBack.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\LandingLights.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\LandingLights.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\taxi.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\Strobe.xml"
Failed to load file: "Aircraft\Cessna337\Models\Lights\Strobe.xml"

I replaced them in Models/Cessna337.xml from \ to / and: \o/ I have lights. Better have that fixed.

One other issue I've noticed is also that the FDM is configured to have speed brakes, when accidentally hitting Ctrl+B.
I'm actually still busy checking whether the plane has speed brakes....
But doubt this was intentional too, not?

Anyway, fun to fly!
ss2

Postby islandmonkey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 pm

This in the FDM file should be removed:

Code: Select all
  <!-- Aerofrenos  -->
  <channel name="Speedbrake">
   <kinematic name="Speedbrake Control">
     <input>fcs/speedbrake-cmd-norm</input>
     <traverse>
       <setting>
          <position> 0 </position>
          <time>     0 </time>
       </setting>
       <setting>
          <position> 1 </position>
          <time>     1 </time>
       </setting>
     </traverse>
     <output>fcs/speedbrake-pos-norm</output>
   </kinematic>
  </channel>
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby ss2 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Then there would be the friction values left over.
ss2

Postby Nando88 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm sorry for my English, I translate with Google.
I have to inform that the Cessna 337 has not been completed, and therefore has some errors that are awaiting correction.
I am grateful for the information, although this is one of the pending errors for correction.
With regard to the lights, I have not known till now of any error, of all forms, I will check it
Nando88

Callsign: EC-FEJ
Version: 3.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi All

1) Great aeroplane, nicely behaved.
2) I am completing my6th trip on the skymaster on Nov 11th at 17 Z, KSLC-KCYS and looking forward to perform well on it, BUT
3) for some unknown reason I have a problem similar to the black model, but worsened by the fact that I can't see instruments in the cockpit either :(

If someone knows a quick fix, I will be really happy to be able to better navigate the plane. Currently I don t see neither needle nor the DME readings.
See images below.

My System:

• OS OpenSuse ver 12.4
  • FGFS ver 2.8.0_rc-9.1
  • simgear ver 2.8.0_rc-11.1
  • Cessna 337 v20120429

And oh! yes; I did try the ATI commenting out suggested above with no success. My graphics is a generic Intel on laptop.

UPDATE
Disabling rendering with the menu allows a better view, and more smooth behavior too. I guess it may just be my incapable graphics card :/
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby El Flauta » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm:And oh! yes; I did try the ATI commenting out suggested above with no success. My graphics is a generic Intel on laptop.

I am even unable to use FlightGear in my laptop due its generic Intel graphics card...
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft