Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Sorry this is always asked

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Sorry this is always asked

Postby beefkake30 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:15 pm

hi since i started playing flightgear (august lastyear) i have always taken a interest in constructing and editing the planes

i realy want to start to design and edit planes what software would i need (this will be my 1st time 3d editing so anyhelp will be greatfully aprechiated)
beefkake30

Re: Sorry this is always asked

Postby beefkake30 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:07 pm

beefkake30 wrote:hi since i started playing flightgear (august lastyear) i have always taken a interest in constructing and editing the planes

i realy want to start to design and edit planes what software would i need (this will be my 1st time 3d editing so anyhelp will be greatfully aprechiated)

i have tried to do the sketchup idea but i dont wnat to pay the money for it and the free version dosent seem to work with the file type needed this is what i am trying to do

the 747-200 In nwa colours

i want it to look like the jet on austin powers have no idea how to do it?

i know it is a 747-400 in real life but i think it will just be the same (apart form the uppercabin
beefkake30

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:39 am

If you don't want to spend money, then try using Blender (http://www.blender.org). It is an open-source 3-D editing application.

It's quite complicated, and can be hard to learn, but once you've got to grips with it, it is very efficient.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby FokkerCharlie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 am

This is the blender tutorial that helped me get started with what is not an easy program to use:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

I suggest that you work your way through it from the start, but in terms of paint-schemes, then the part that will really interest you is the 'UV Texture Mapping'.

Enjoy!

Charlie
FokkerCharlie

Version: 2

Re: Sorry this is always asked

Postby Kailingkazak » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:36 pm

beefkake30 wrote:
beefkake30 wrote:hi since i started playing flightgear (august lastyear) i have always taken a interest in constructing and editing the planes

i have tried to do the sketchup idea but i dont wnat to pay the money for it and the free version dosent seem to work with the file type needed this is what i am trying to do

the 747-200 In nwa colours

i want it to look like the jet on austin powers have no idea how to do it?

i know it is a 747-400 in real life but i think it will just be the same (apart form the uppercabin

for "changing colours" of planes you "just" have to change the livery... it's somewhere in the plane file, you'll recognize it straight ahead
Kailingkazak
Kailingkazak

Version: 2

Postby Gijs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:50 pm

The 747-200 model is not that easy. There's no texture on the whole plane, only on the parts where logo's etc. are. So you need to add texture to the model (you could do it with Blender, AC3D, SketchUp etc.).
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Return to Aircraft