Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

767 update

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: 767 update

Postby TOMCAT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Liam wrote in Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm:No not yet, I got a message from isix saying he was changing the entire FDM two days ago to replicate something a little more like the 763ER, except with proper -300 justifications. If you haven't tried the 767-300ER I would say please test it because its much better than the -300 as a flight dynamic experience, and the link had an ER as part of the package as well so you can already try it for yourself :).

Again if anyone wants to test the ER please do, I haven't had any feedback for that yet. As for the -300 we will keep this topic updated soon when he has replied :), although I know he has work stresses at the moment.

In other news, we want to stretch a -400 or -400ER version as well using the same model so perhaps we can include that in a future package as well, but liveries would be a problem for a longer fuselage, so they would need to be in their own folder so we may as well include it as a seperate aircraft entirely.

Cheers, Liam.

Ok Thank you for the reply :D :D :D
TOMCAT

Postby skyop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Liam wrote in Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm:In other news, we want to stretch a -400 or -400ER version as well using the same model so perhaps we can include that in a future package as well, but liveries would be a problem for a longer fuselage, so they would need to be in their own folder so we may as well include it as a seperate aircraft entirely.

No need for a separate aircraft (which will only overcomplicate things); just separate the livery select system into different directories. See the A320 for how it's done.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby TOMCAT » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 am

Liam do you gonna put animated landing gears like the 777 ones :?: :?: :oops:
TOMCAT

Postby Quadunit404 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:39 am

Liam wrote in Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm:In other news, we want to stretch a -400 or -400ER version as well using the same model so perhaps we can include that in a future package as well, but liveries would be a problem for a longer fuselage, so they would need to be in their own folder so we may as well include it as a seperate aircraft entirely.

Aren't there only, like... two operators of the 764 in the world?

...Well, three technically as some of Continental's 764s have been repainted in the "new" United colors, but those are still counted as Continental planes so yeah, only two. Not really that much you can do in terms of liveries except for the old and new Delta colors, Delta SkyTeam colors, Continental, Continental Star Alliance, Continental/United and Continental/United Star Alliance. Actually... now that I think about it, that's seven liveries right there, so I just proved myself wrong :D
Quadunit404

Postby Sweetgrapes » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 am

I think that a better idea would be to shorten it to make the 200 or the 200ER, because they have atleast 7 current operators for the 200 and 16 for the 200ER.
"A bird can`t damage an engine, but an engine can damage a bird."
Sweetgrapes

Callsign: Wingtip or MIA0049

Postby Liam » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I just prefer the shape of the 400ER, its much nicer :wink: anyway since when did we only fly planes with the most operators! theres a lot more 767-400ER's than many other plane types, also it's really good to have lots of heritage planes (not that I think the 767 deserves the title heritage just yet), but heritage liveries are attractive; and also the 767 has been a very large workforce in the world of aviation and I'd say definately one of the key inspirations for airliner shapes of this era, and after all we do have more obscure variations of things like the 737-100 :), and that got pretty popular amongst the community.

Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby Vinura » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:21 am

Tell me when you guys manage to upload it to FlightGear's Official Aircraft Download Section.

Nice work by the way!

Looking GREAT! :D :D :D :D :D
Vinura

Postby Figaro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 am

I also suggest shortening it for the 762. I mean, then you can make the Google livery :D
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby Liam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Some preliminary progress:

Credit must really go to isix for fitting his 767 work around his busy real life schedule at the moment.. so progress has been slow, but he has been in touch with me and let me know of the following changes he has made himself:
The FDM are ready and the 3d model done and full animated. Maybe some fixes must be done for slats and flaps, more similar as real is.
Liam

Postby Sweetgrapes » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm

If I can see correctly, has isix worked on the landing gear? It looks nice, you were right about the shape.(atleast I find it now nice)
One request, please make the template better. Just white and modified windows would be much better.
Sweetgrapes

Postby Sweetgrapes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 am

I`ve finally tested the 300, and here`s my verdict.
The biggest improvement for me is framerate. It`s especially amazing because the file is when unpacked, it`s almost 90 mb(that`s what WinRAR says).
The second improvement is the fact that it has a cockpit. It`s a billion miles away from beeing perfect, but a cockpit is what this plane desperately needed.
What I wasn`t happy with is the FDM. I`m use to using three notches of flaps when the plane has eight notches to use. I accelerate to around 65 knots and the plane with no warning lifts it`s nose up. Then there`s the landing. I`m at around a 1000 ft and I have five notches of flaps. I`m approaching the runway fast, so I apply full flaps and the plane slows so rapidly that it stalls. It might be more realistic, but it`s a bit unrealistic for me. So I have to get use to it.
Sweetgrapes

Postby Liam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Wingtipped wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 am:I`ve finally tested the 300, and here`s my verdict.
The biggest improvement for me is framerate. It`s especially amazing because the file is when unpacked, it`s almost 90 mb(that`s what WinRAR says).
The second improvement is the fact that it has a cockpit. It`s a billion miles away from beeing perfect, but a cockpit is what this plane desperately needed.
What I wasn`t happy with is the FDM. I`m use to using three notches of flaps when the plane has eight notches to use. I accelerate to around 65 knots and the plane with no warning lifts it`s nose up. Then there`s the landing. I`m at around a 1000 ft and I have five notches of flaps. I`m approaching the runway fast, so I apply full flaps and the plane slows so rapidly that it stalls. It might be more realistic, but it`s a bit unrealistic for me. So I have to get use to it.

Once again, part of the fact the file is unnecessarily large is the fact that it also includes the ER variant, which as you are complaining about the FDM you probably haven't bothered to test that (..yet). We do know the file is far too large, another reason is the liveries in which I have taken out a lot of the unnecessary user-created liveries which some took up to 6mb, and left just 4 or 5 light-weight file liveries (in the non released improvement). If you want to try the ER FDM then please do; you already have it. As the tests on the FDM were being tested on the ER before overwriting the -300, so that's why the 300 is so unimproved in comparison. The cockpit isix has worked on (not yet released) is heavily similar to the GIT version of the 777-200, in which he contacted the authors to include some instruments, replacing some of the not so good 767 ones; so we can all look forward to that sort of more complete cockpit. As for the take-off speed, in the ER i found that when approaching accurate take-off speeds and having full aircraft weight (both PAX and Fuel), it became more of an issue to take off.

With any aircraft being worked on, we are very grateful for patience and that you have bothered to test it so thank you all for that much. Do look forward to these issues being obsolete in the near future.

Best regards, Liam
Liam

Postby Vinura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Liam, I have included your POST into the wiki;

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Boeing_767-300ER

Is that alright?
Vinura

Postby skyop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Better to make that a redirect to the existing 767 page.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Vinura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 pm

What do you mean?
Vinura

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft