Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Development: Lockheed Model 10 Electra [now on gitorious]

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Development: Lockheed Model 10 Electra [now on gitorious

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am

chris_blues wrote in Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 am:It's there! About 2/3s down. "Lockheed L10 Electra"...
Shortcut

thanks for the link! i've got it now... i also went back over to the site and it seems that i had a ""short page""... the last entry i had was for a boeing craft but only the first two boxes of the entrie's line... i've done a forced reload and now maybe i'll see all the craft... as i noted previously, the "count the craft" button at the top only showed 71 available and a manual count came up with the same... a search (CTRL-F) for "lockheed" and "electra" came up empty...

edit: after the forced reload, i see 16 lockheed craft... thanks again for the prod and the direct link! :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:57 pm

I had been contacted personally by Emilian (i4dnf) telling me the L10 Electra on Longfly site and mirrored in FGMEMBERS https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/Lockheed-L10-Electra is outdated, and at least two years of publicly available development further that stage existed in gitorious.

These data is no longer retrievable from gitorious.

If anyone has access to the content of this development repository, it will be great to have.

Emilian is unsettled that old -nolonger supported versions- of this aircraft may be circulating, but he founds himself in the conundrum that his later development can't be made public either. So, overall, rescuing the content of the gitorious public content may be the best road to take.

Best
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:01 am

I've got one version here (24MB). Don't ask me, what version it is! At a quick glance, there are some files in that archive, dating March 2015... I hope that's not the date I played around with that archive... :roll: But IIRC this version should be fairly fresh...

HTH...

Edit:
then again, it just might be the longfly version... don't know...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 am

Thanks Chris.
I've got it.
The version is 0.25 which is clearly higher than the 0.1 FGMEMBERS' currently hosting

But ...
This version has files under GPL2 and others under CC-Non derivative. (and certainly no clarity about who's who)
That's a complex mixture. I would personally not release on FGMEMBERS such work, but if necessary could host it in FGMEMBERs-NONGPL.
Now the issue is that the v0.1 is purely GPL, which I preffer, in spite of the lower version. More so now, that I received personal communication by Emilian that he is considering to meet in the courtroom,

(I guess he is the type that likes making lawyers rich, while making himself miserable and poor)

I will keep the purely GPL version (0.1) for now --in spite of all the licensing mixing that's going on in FG right now on the devel list.

Then, I will need to determine how to deal with Emilian Huminiuc issue; Probably I will first asses the situation with the Free Software Foundation legal counseling.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:46 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 am:More so now, that I received personal communication by Emilian that he is considering to meet in the courtroom,

(I guess he is the type that likes making lawyers rich, while making himself miserable and poor)

Strange! I came to know Emilian as a helping, kind and friendly person. Maybe you should be more careful with statements like the one above...?

Anyway, I actually never bothered to look into the licensing involved, since I'm a bit of a moron in these things. So I hope you guys get to terms somehow...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Well, and to make the chaos more complete, I have an Electra in work on a JSB FDM. I have still to iron out some animation issues and play around more with the Wasp juniors, but that one will also go into FGMEMBERS soon.

On a side node: Chris Blue, since you know Emilian as a nice and helpful person, you can maybe explain to him, that his original planes were GPL and he can't revoke a GPL license or any other legal license retroactively. So he can put updates on FGMEMBERS, but if he don't want to do that, it's entirely okay if others go ahead and develop further.

On another useless sidenote: Do we need a special Amelia-version with nav instruments showing consequently 180 degrees wrong?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:50 pm:but that one will also go into FGMEMBERS soon.

On another useless sidenote: Do we need a special Amelia-version with nav instruments showing consequently 180 degrees wrong?

Hi JWocky

Thanks for the newest versions of the Model 10.
Now Reworked with JSBsim, and we have 5 different variants :D
Including Amelia Earhart's... Now that's cutting edge past...

I forked your development repository at : https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/Lockheed-Model10

Question. Is the Amelia version nave instrument actually going "the safe way"?
(that's morbid!)

IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby abassign » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:31 pm

I try to start it, but when run the run_fgrun.sh I have this error message:

Code: Select all
abassign@abassign-P15SM-A-SM1-A:~/fgfs/next > ./run_fgrun.sh
Failed to create alias at /fdm[0]/jsbsim[0]/inertia[0]/pointmass-weight-lbs[2]. Source /payload[0]/weight[1]/weight-lb[0] is already aliasing another property.
Failed to set alias to /fdm/jsbsim/inertia/pointmass-weight-lbs[2]                                                                                                   
 at /home/abassign/fgfs/next/install/fgrun/bin/../../flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft/Lockheed-Model10/Electra10A-Jsb-set.xml,                                             
line 273, column 3                                                                                                                                                                             
Failed to create alias at /fdm[0]/jsbsim[0]/inertia[0]/pointmass-weight-lbs[2]. Source /payload[0]/weight[1]/weight-lb[0] is already aliasing another property.                                   
 at /home/abassign/fgfs/next/install/fgrun/bin/../../flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft/Lockheed-Model10/Electra10B-Jsb-set.xml,                                                                                 
line 273, column 3
 at /home/abassign/fgfs/next/install/fgrun/bin/../../flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft/Lockheed-Model10/Electra10C-Jsb-set.xml,
line 273, column 3
 at /home/abassign/fgfs/next/install/fgrun/bin/../../flightgear/fgdata/Aircraft/Lockheed-Model10/Electra10E-Jsb-set.xml,
line 273, column 3

My FGFS version is 3.5
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 pm

any particular version?

I've just tried the Model10-A. It is launching just fine here
FGFS version 3.5 as well
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby abassign » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 am

I work with Linux Mint I would like to know on which OS you're testing the plane, sometimes the problem may be generated by an incorrect file name. For example, I see that some files have a name very similar, but with a capital letter and another with a tiny. This approach can work with Windows, but with Linux (Unix) or MAC.
The type of problem does not seem generated by an error code, I have in my repository about 50 aircraft and no one gave me this kind of problem.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

Linux here as well. X86-64. using FG 3.5 git

IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:11 am

looks like the problem could be here:

Code: Select all
<payload>
<weight n="0">
<name>Crew</name>
<weight-lb alias="/fdm/jsbsim/inertia/pointmass-weight-lbs[0]" />
<min-lb type="double">200</min-lb>
<max-lb type="double">400</max-lb>
</weight>

<weight n="1">
<name>Passengers</name>
<weight-lb alias="/fdm/jsbsim/inertia/pointmass-weight-lbs[1]" />
<min-lb type="double">0</min-lb>
<max-lb type="double">2000</max-lb>
</weight>

<weight n="1">
<name>Freight</name>
<weight-lb alias="/fdm/jsbsim/inertia/pointmass-weight-lbs[2]" />
<min-lb type="double">0</min-lb>
<max-lb type="double">482</max-lb>
</weight>
</payload>

I could be wrong but maybe the error is that <weight n="1"> in the Freight definition might need be 2 instead of 1?

I changed it to 2 and just tested and the error went away.

It's in line 271 of each of the A,B,C and E set.xmls

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby abassign » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:38 am

@cirCoda

I confirm that the problem is the third <weight n = "1"> that should become <weight n = "2">. I changed and this time "run_fgrun.sh" not from the problem :) But the application does not list the plane :( Other times I encountered this problem, but I never found any documentation to explain what is necessary to insert the definition file in order to see the plane in the list of "run_fgrun.sh".
I wish someone could solve this problem and then clarify how wrote the definition file for the correct visibility with the program on "run_fgrun.sh"
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby clrCoda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:56 am

Okay, I understand that you are saying that the planes are not listing in FGrun using 3.5, I think.

I also saw you mention something about files that have a letter(a,b,c,e or A,B,C,E). Please notice that the files with the capital letters also have the word '-set'.

The files with names like Electra10a-jsb.xml get used by the associated file Electra10A-jsb-set.xml. It's the files that end in -set.xml that the Launcher wizards, FGrun or Qt5(the official 3.5 launcher ) are looking for.

In other threads Jabberwocky(the current active plane author) and I and others have detailed a problem that planes by Jabberwocky using his "JPack" ( you have to have JPack for this Electra set of planes to work ) are not listing planes in some instances using some Launchers.

There is a bug report about this at the bug tracker.
1772 PropertyList Include tag a problem for Qt5

This is the thread with the most discussion about the problem here in the forum:
Airplane is in FG root, can't see in flightgear wizard

This link from that thread is particularly of interest as it spells out a work around that seems to work, is easiest to perform, as we await the actual bug fix that would make this moving a folder around unnecessary any longer.
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26504&start=45#p248139

Also, being that you are on Linux, I might suggest that until the bug is fixed that if you decide to use a Jabberwocky plane that doesn't list in a launcher that you instead do not use the launcher and instead load the plane from the command line using a configuration file.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_configuration_via_XML#Adding_your_own_settings

Or you can do this file moving I mentioned.

one)
This is easiest if you have the download version of the plane from the GIT site rather than the plane actually in a local git repository, because the first thing I'm going to ask you to do is delete the Lockheed-Model10 folder to fix any case where some of the planes are listing and some are not.

two)
Start the simulator with any other plane in your launcher of choice and after the simulator loads and settles for usage, close the simulator. This flushes out any memory of the Lockheed-Model10 folder in the launcher.

three)
unzip the Lockheed-Model10-master.zip into the Aircraft folder where you keep your planes.

four)
There is no four ( thanks Douglas Adams hehe :) )

five)
Make sure that the folder "JPack" is in that same Aircraft folder.

six)
MOVE the "JPack" folder out of that Aircraft folder and move it into FlightGear 3.5.0/data/Aircraft folder.

seven)
Start the launcher using the wizard as normally. On this load you should see the Electra's A, Amelia, B, C, and E listed.

eight)
Choose one of those planes and then start the simulator. As soon as the simulator settles for usage exit the simulator and if you have to, close the launcher wizard if it is still open.

nine)
MOVE "JPack" folder back to the Aircraft folder where the Lockheed-Model10 and all your other installed aircraft are.
We do this because in some cases leaving the JPack in /data/Aircraft often does not let the Launcher load and the Launcher crashes if we try to load it with out having moved JPack back.

ten)
Restart the launcher and notice that the planes all list, are selectable, and will load in the simulator, that the simulator will run them without crashing.

I have to do this file moving every time I install a plane from Jabberwocky that uses the JPack in order to see the new plane listed. Minor nuisance while I await the actual bug fix. Jabberwocky's planes are typically worth the nuisance.

I would be interested if any or all of this does or does not work for you. This is what I have to do every time I install a very new to me Jabberwocky plane until the Qt5 Launcher PropertyList/Include bug is fixed.

Best of luck to you :)
--Ray

Post Edit: seems I'm wrong about no number four. The reference is not Doug Adams and the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy but instead it the Monty Python's "Bruces Sketch" where there is no rule 6

Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby abassign » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Where is JPack ?
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft