Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Development: Lockheed Model 10 Electra [now on gitorious]

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Development: Lockheed Model 10 Electra [now on gitorious

Postby clrCoda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:18 pm

On FGMEMBERS: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/JPack

and yes, it seems in one or two of the Electra variants are still some undetected typos. I'll check on the weights later, at the moment I am waiting for the take off of SkyBoat's Retirement Tour: Extra Leg 1.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby abassign » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:13 pm

I Inserted JPack, now is ok, the plane is loaded from "run_fgrun.sh" :)
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby clrCoda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Excellent. Well done!
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm

A new series of splash screens (randomized on FG3.5 and above), tribute to Amelia Earhart.

If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 am

The shaders are back . the bumpmaps came along. The plane suddenly looks much better, and I totally recommend the update

Ihcol

If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Wit a bit of work, not much, I was able to reinstate the textures, the shaders, and the normal maps by Emilian.
His artwork on this aircraft was totally unbelievable, and I think for many years this is the first time this aircraft can literally shine as probably the artwork author originally intended.

In addition JWocky JSBsim rendition is an absolute pleasure to fly.
This model does not have a cockpit but still it is totally breataking on the air, and on the beauty of the model and its effects.

Totally a recommended to try out.

IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby abassign » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm

The aluminum studs seem too apparent, I think it is better to reduce the effect as the relief must be minimal. The pictures I have of the plane, as I entered here in the response, show what I said. A plane very nice, like this, can not have one aspect of an object made with construction techniques prior to the biblical Great Flood ...

The color is lighter! I hope that you can obtain from the FGFs ...

Finally, the interior is no longer transparent, good job!

Now I expect a cab interior worthy of this wonderful work! I would like something similar, such as quality, to that of the 707-200.

:)
Last edited by abassign on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm

abassign wrote in Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm:...I would like something similar, such as quality, to that of the 707-200. :)

:shock: Luckily the old lady doesn't have that many systems as the 707 does...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:45 am

abassign wrote in Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm:. A plane very nice, like this, can not have one aspect of an object made with construction techniques prior to the biblical Great Flood ...

I read your comment and I think I found the fix to the relief.
You may be pleased by pulling again and trying again (or download the zip again). The relief better matches what Emilian intended now.

The color, I still struggle with.
But for now I am just going to work on a Paintkit and a few liveries for this babe.

IH-COL

BTW you made me crack a laugh with the Moses' reference there.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby abassign » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:43 am

I made a comparison with the IAR-80 and I must say that now is very similar :) The electra is becoming really very nice!

The IAR-80 for comparison:

It seems to me now that the result is very similar, it would be nice. I would like to have a glossy surface, but maybe it's a problem of ALS, it would take some advice from those who know the techniques of rendering of the ALS.

I noticed this problem on the propeller, the indentation seems a problem of the file "L10_cowl" I do not know but I'm sure it will be corrected :) A plane so beautiful it deserves great attention.

For the interior I meant to look like the IAR-80, which is exactly the same historical period. I do not know how were the Electra interior, but I think it should not be very different in style and gauges. For the plane of Amelia, I was reading that was particularly sophisticated for its time, especially in order to do a proper instrumental navigation over long distances. I'd be really curious to see a reproduction that allows to emulate the features of an aircraft for intercontinental flights at that time.

I am increasingly convinced that it will be a really good job! It will become one of the best aircraft of FGFS!
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 pm

I don't think the interiors are so look alike

Emilian did a very nice job on the cockpit before but either never released, or never released in under GPL2 clauses... (or the data got lost in the gitorious dead).
Anyways, he seem not willing to ship us this data for a GPL status, anymore... so that's that.

Making a cockpit overseeds me, at this point.
I will be doing some learning experiences on this field, but I doubt I'll begin on the Model10

If there 's anyone that says: "I'd love that task" [of making the Model10 3d cockpit], well... we appreciate cooperative and shared development, so join the road :D

IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:14 pm

The IAR-80 instruments were mostly German with changed faces. So planes to look for similar instruments would be there. Focke-Wulf, Messerschmidt, maybe Blohm&Voss. The steering wheels, not really yokes as we know them today, would need to be modelled from the scratch I guess.
The dashboard itself is straight and simple, the big thing is the texture.
So ... a lot of graphic works I am ill-suited for. The systems, well, that's such a story. The regular E10s actually hadn't the radio bearing. Pan Am had it added for their planes and in Amelia Earhart's was a later version of the same Bendix. So this is something, that would be needed as models before anybody can connect any systems. The original had of course no autopilot, just saying ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 pm

If you need instruments, my Beech Bonanza might have similar ones that you can borrow. ;)
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

IRC name: ffisch
Version: 3.0

Postby abassign » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 pm

I think a good gauges are that derived from the DC3. Although it should be added the engineering gauges. It would need to have an original of the aircraft flight manual and other photos, someone can enter the documentation in git?
I think it's important to enter quickly, the panel of the cockpit made with the same care of the outside, the gauges we can place them later.
For radio:
At the time, the fixing was done with a radio compass, using mostly long-wave radio commercial transmitters. It would not be hard to do something like that, there are still many of these transmitters. You have to do a radio compass unit to the radio receiver, something for FGFs was made.
It would be very nice to also enter a sextant. What do you think? Too complicated as the work program? I know programming and NASAL is not
complicated.
:)

This photos caming from: http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Archivessubject.html#seven

JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Previous

Return to Aircraft