Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Aircraft interior not showing up over MP

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Aircraft interior not showing up over MP

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:03 pm

I just tested the MP readiness of my Cessna 210 by opening two instances of FG, and was very disappointed to see that the interior of the MP model is completely missing ! :shock: Which I don't have any explanation for - on the primary instance the interior is loaded fine and without any errors. Can you give me any clues what I could be doing wrong ? (I do see the MP interior of other aircraft, such as the C182)

In the LOD settings I have High Detail only for AI/MP aircraft and 1500 meters for the Interior, and it's not showing up even if the secondary (viewing) instance is positioned directly besides the MP aircraft.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Aircraft interior not showing up over MP

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:05 pm

which craft is FG using for the MP rendition for your Cessna 210?
does it have a property called fallback-model-index defined in the -set file? generally the index property is found near the model's path property... look in the c172p's -set file and you'll see what i'm asking...

the fallback-model-index number is taken from the file FGData/AI/Aircraft/fallback_models.xml... this is the model used when the MP client does not have the model downloaded...

another possibility is the model, itself, not allowing the cockpit to be drawn... for example, if you have coded to cockpit to only be rendered when in the pilot or co-pilot view...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:30 pm

I don't have the fallback-model-index set, but the exterior is showing normally. About the second possibility, I don't have any of this set up.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:40 pm

TheEagle wrote in Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:03 pm:I just tested the MP readiness of my Cessna 210 by opening two instances of FG, and was very disappointed to see that the interior of the MP model is completely missing.

If you think about it, it is a good feature.
Number of vertices in a cockpit model may be on par or even greater than that of exterior model.
In a multiplayer scenario several other planes may be in view. Drawing a cockpit for each of them will impact frame rate greatly.
And all that for no realistic gain, because for most situations nobody will even be able to see the details of a cockpit of a plane passing by anyway.

Actually the whole interior of MP models could be replaced with a sign in large letters saying "if you can read this you are flying too damn close" :mrgreen:
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm

Very helpful ! :mrgreen:

It's not a good feature when you want your aircraft to be Dual-control able ! :wink:
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:54 pm

In a dual control scenario, each pilot runs their local instance of a hi-res model in their local instance of FG, right?
Logically, in dual control, AC data is exchanged between instances to make both instances, in effect, a clone of the same plane, right?
So, for none of the pilots the other 'clone' is a MP plane, because it is their own plane. None of the pilots should be able to see the 'other' plane outside of their own, because there are no two planes flying ogether, it is only one plane.

If there are other pilots flying their own planes then yes, your plane will appear to _them_ as a MP model, but this is different from co-piloting.
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:23 pm

There you must have got something wrong ! :wink: You can look at the C182 for instance - in the copilot-set.xml file, Models/Geometry/null.ac is referenced as the model file (every aircraft MUST have a model file, even if it's empty). The copilot loads that up (with all infrastructure that is needed for dual control, such as Nasal files). Then in-sim you have a dialog which you can choose a pilot from. FG will then put you in the cockpit of that pilot which is an MP model. But, even if you are not a copilot (for example you spawned with an Airbus 320) you can still sit in the cockpit of another pilot who is flying, say, a C172 - only some functionalities may not be available (so you can't control the other pilot's throttle for example) but in a well-made aircraft you should e.g. be able to see all instruments with working indications.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby WoodSTokk » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:58 pm

No, you will not see working instruments. Every AC send only necessary properties to animate the exterior.
Thats are mostly flaps/slats, engine rpm, gear position, gear compression, wheel spin, exterior lights and so on.
If you switch your view to a MP aircraft and set the view to pilot, the aircraft is mostly cold & dark.
Its exaclty that reason why you need to develope a copilot if you want it. The two sessions (pilot and copilot) talk via Emesary to exchange properties that are not transmitted via MP protocol.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby TheEagle » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:03 am

Oh yeah … that will stay like that until the Mp packet size is increased …
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:24 am

TheEagle wrote in Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:03 am:Oh yeah … that will stay like that until the Mp packet size is increased …

You are dreaming ;)
The MP protocol is based on UDP. You can build a stream on UDP, but UDP doesnt make sure that you receive all packages and also not in the correct order.
On the other hand, UDP is connectionless and therefor its a lightweight. The MP server is nothing more than a packet bouncer.
If you blow up the package size and count, the server should send out every package to every client in a radius of 100NM.
Think about a event of 10 or 20 clients all in a small area. That will boost the output of the server extremly.
With Emensary, there is a higher data exchange between 2 clients, but dont bother other clients or the server with information that they dont need.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby MariuszXC » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:34 am

And, while on the subject of protocols, there is some light reading on the subject:
https://paytonturnage.com/writing/ideal ... -protocol/
with a reference to a clever implementation:
http://enet.bespin.org/
I guess, if we were designing things from scratch today, things might look quite similar to what is in that implementation.
INOP
MariuszXC

Return to Aircraft