Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Aircraft is not listing even with correct launcher settings

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Aircraft is not listing even with correct launcher settings

Postby Doorknob747 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:00 am

I am currently updating the Boeing 737-200 to include the Combi and Executive version, to the per-existing aircraft. The per-existing aircraft in the main hanger was a mess, this I rearranged some of the files and code. I do not see anything wrong with my code right now. What is causing the aircraft not to display? I have set flightgear to look in my custom aircraft directory, and other custom aircrafts are showing. The following is my link to the Sourceforge repo for the Boeing 737-200 that I am updating:

https://sourceforge.net/p/b737-200-updated/code/ci/master/tree/
Doorknob747

Re: Aircraft is not listing even with correct launcher setti

Postby wlbragg » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 am

Try looking in the log to see if there is any mention of any error. The smallest of malformed tags can cause this type of behavior. But usually there is some kind of error or mention of an abnormality in the log.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Doorknob747 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 am

wlbragg wrote in Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 am:Try looking in the log to see if there is any mention of any error. The smallest of malformed tags can cause this type of behavior. But usually there is some kind of error or mention of an abnormality in the log.

Code: Select all
1.60 [WARN]:gui       :0: Problems occurred while parsing "C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-Exec-set.xml" (skipping)
    "not well-formed (invalid token)"
    1.60 [WARN]:gui       :0: Problems occurred while parsing "C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-set.xml" (skipping)
    "not well-formed (invalid token)"
    1.60 [WARN]:gui       :0: can't find principal aircraft  "737-200"  for variant: "C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-C-set.xml"

What does it mean when it says it can't find principal aircraft, when the aircraft is there?
Doorknob747

Postby SurferTim » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am

It's there but, according to your log output, has errors in these files:
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-Exec-set.xml
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-set.xml
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-C-set.xml
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Doorknob747 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 pm

SurferTim wrote in Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am:It's there but, according to your log output, has errors in these files:
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-Exec-set.xml
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-set.xml
C:/Users/me/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/737-200/737-200-C-set.xml

I tried looking but everything looks fine to me. Can someone please look into the code, please.
Doorknob747

Postby wlbragg » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm

These types of subtle issues can be very difficult to find. Not knowing exactly what all you did without going through all the commits, which would take considerable time to sort out, makes it a real challenge, at least for me. I would recommend you review your change and even roll them back and institute the changes one at a time until you find the culprit. I've had to do this before myself. Seriously, this particular issue can be a bitch to find without the procedure I outlined above. I've had weeks and months go by looking for something so subtle I didn't even know it was a problem. I looked briefly at the files and didn't see anything outstanding. But there is some substantial refactoring to sort through.

Another method to find the issue.

Both variants call main, remove main and see if the now load. If so, then you've narrowed it down. You can do the same to either set and start eliminating all the tag pairs until you find the issue.

These are the things I would have to do to find it myself.
wlbragg

Postby Doorknob747 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:25 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm:These types of subtle issues can be very difficult to find. Not knowing exactly what all you did without going through all the commits, which would take considerable time to sort out, makes it a real challenge, at least for me. I would recommend you review your change and even roll them back and institute the changes one at a time until you find the culprit. I've had to do this before myself. Seriously, this particular issue can be a bitch to find without the procedure I outlined above. I've had weeks and months go by looking for something so subtle I didn't even know it was a problem. I looked briefly at the files and didn't see anything outstanding. But there is some substantial refactoring to sort through.

Both variants call main, remove main and see if the now load. If so, then you've narrowed it down. You can do the same to either set and start eliminating all the tag pairs until you find the issue.

In a sense, you are right. The only thing is, I based the refactoring of the files based on the code architecture of the 757 code. The 757 calls main in all the set files. Thus, I do not think that could be the case. What I can say however, there are tags in the 757 code set files not in the set files of the 737. But then again, they were not in the 737 to begin with and the original stuff was able to work.

The 757 is YaSim as well, so that too is not an issue. If the code structure is the same, then the code should work.

The only thing that does come to mind would be the code inside Nasal scripts. I didn't look at the Nasal scripts yet, but do Nasal scripts normally call XML files?

Does acididently setting the location of cockpit or passenger weight to be located outside of the aircraft prevent the aircraft from showing?

How does variant-type tag work? Some of these things do not even show on FG Wiki.
Doorknob747

Postby Doorknob747 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm:These types of subtle issues can be very difficult to find. Not knowing exactly what all you did without going through all the commits, which would take considerable time to sort out, makes it a real challenge, at least for me. I would recommend you review your change and even roll them back and institute the changes one at a time until you find the culprit. I've had to do this before myself. Seriously, this particular issue can be a bitch to find without the procedure I outlined above. I've had weeks and months go by looking for something so subtle I didn't even know it was a problem. I looked briefly at the files and didn't see anything outstanding. But there is some substantial refactoring to sort through.

Based of this : https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30306

Can the "&" or "," characters in the author section cause this?
Doorknob747

Postby wlbragg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am

Yes., I'm pretty sure. I think I once had to track down something like that once upon a time. I don't know what characters. Maybe the accent. Try removing any special characters like that and see if it works.
wlbragg

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:04 pm

something else to try is to run the file(s) through an xml validation tool... that'll quickly show where any errors are... things like a missing "\", "<", or ">" in a tag come to mind...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Aircraft