Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Half of aircraft under ground

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Half of aircraft under ground

Postby Lars » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Yes, as written: If this flag is enabled, the 3d-model origin is set to the ground elevation. This prevent planes stucking *way* below/above the ground. But if the 3d model origin is not at wheel-level but in the center of the aircraft, the aircraft is half-stuck in the ground.
Lars

Version: next

Postby rommel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Lars wrote in Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm:Yes, as written: If this flag is enabled, the 3d-model origin is set to the ground elevation. This prevent planes stucking *way* below/above the ground. But if the 3d model origin is not at wheel-level but in the center of the aircraft, the aircraft is half-stuck in the ground.

Oh, I understand (I guess)
If the other sim do not make this corrections well, I always will see they under ground and they see me flying in the parking place.
So the solution are in other level...

Thanks to all whos write me back
rommel

Callsign: CUB730
Version: 2020.3.16

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:46 pm

So I wonder if a better solution in this case would be to calculate the model origin not at a ground level but at a ground level plus any offset the model itself might specify? Would this work? If yes, maybe it would make a nice proposal for the upcoming Hackaton?
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby merspieler » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Keen to participate?

I'm sure there will be plenty people to guide you in the right direction.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 pm

merspieler wrote in Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 pm:Keen to participate?
I'm sure there will be plenty people to guide you in the right direction.

Actually, yes, I am considering it, if only to broaden my knowledge about how FG works. But I asked whether it would be a good candidate for the Hackaton because I do not know enough to judge if it is a simple fix or something much more involved.
Currently reading Docs/model-howto. On the surface of things it would seem, that if a model defines a "z-m" offset in its properties it would be enough to add this value to the calculated gnd elevation, but probably it will turn out to be way more complicated?
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby V12 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:33 am

No way.
Basic requirement is same scenery elevation and same airport layout on all MP simulators.
With flags, model origin offsets etc You can solve only vertical position, not for example taxiing over grass or through badly placed airport buildings.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby merspieler » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am

MariuszXC wrote in Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 pm:Actually, yes, I am considering it, if only to broaden my knowledge about how FG works. But I asked whether it would be a good candidate for the Hackaton because I do not know enough to judge if it is a simple fix or something much more involved.
Currently reading Docs/model-howto. On the surface of things it would seem, that if a model defines a "z-m" offset in its properties it would be enough to add this value to the calculated gnd elevation, but probably it will turn out to be way more complicated?

Even if it's a rather quick fix, there are plenty of other projects proposed where you can peak in and help, if you're interested.
If it takes the whole weekend, that's fine too...

And just ignore V12... You're idea will work to fix the issue of this threads topic.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby V12 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 am

How do You want solve different runway and taxiway positions without scenery modification ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby MariuszXC » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:54 am

merspieler wrote in Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am:Even if it's a rather quick fix, there are plenty of other projects proposed where you can peak in and help, if you're interested.

Yes, I am interested. Will make arrangements to participate.
And just ignore V12... You're idea will work to fix the issue of this threads topic.

I'd prefer to answer, although I see your point.

@V12
[short answer] Yes, in principle you are right.
[long answer] What different flight simulators have in common is they generally try to simulate flying between different locations on planet Earth (and sometimes around the planet ;) ). However, different sims use different input data to create their approximation of the planet's surface and have access to data about airports of varying quality and age. Some can afford to buy/licence most recent data, some rely on older open access data or crowd-sourced data. These differences are beyond our control, so we know that unifying scenery (even only AP layouts) between sims is very unlikely to happen(*1).
Yet some of us want to participate in multiplayer events, both within FG and cross-sim.
We can not correct for lateral (X,Y) differences(*2) in scenery/airport layout between sims, but what we can try to do is display the representation of a remote aircraft correctly on the ground, when they declare they are on the ground at coordinates (x,y). For that we use our own scenery and our own model of the remote AC, so we have full control. Yes, their coordinates may put them on the side of the runway, or on a nearby lake, but at least they will not be half-sunk or floating. So again, yes, it will not be ideal, but hopefully will be better.
And, finally, this shoud help even in FG<->FG multiplayer, when someone has default scenery and another uses custom scenery.

(*1) unless, perhaps, you would be willing to plead our case to e.g. Jeppesen to allow FG use of their detailed data from, say, a year or two ago in exchange for a big "thank you" note and a lot of smiles?

(*2) or maybe we could have a database of scenery offsets between sims, but creating it and keeping it up to date seems like a daunting task, not to say it would be another band aid and would not solve differences in airport layouts, etc.
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby merspieler » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:24 am

V12 wrote in Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 am:How do You want solve different runway and taxiway positions without scenery modification ?

You don't. Wait for WS3.0... it will fix most of it and for the rest, YOU can put in the work to correct it. Will be a lot easier than it is now.

MariuszXC wrote in Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:54 am:(*1) unless, perhaps, you would be willing to plead our case to e.g. Jeppesen to allow FG use of their detailed data from, say, a year or two ago in exchange for a big "thank you" note and a lot of smiles?

Check in with the core peeps before doing that.. They'll have a case against this.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Previous

Return to Aircraft