Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A320-family development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: A320-family development

Postby merspieler » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Sids and stars > you need up-to-date nav data... then it works... currently no free sources available
top of decent and TOC > not yet implemented
managed ascent and descent > if you mean, CLB, DES mode in contrast to OP CLB, OP DES then not yet implemented
that the jetway can be connected to the plane > works on 3D branch
be able to enter the exact number of passengers and that this moves the weight and cent of gravity > weight and balance system will be reworked... you'll probably get a proper load sheet.
enable all radar systems > feel free to help with this... partly lacks support from fg
be able to put on and take off covers and pins > goes to the wish list... maybe when the 3D model is done and Semir is in the mood to modle those.
enable the doors and access to the external panels and that these are clickable from the outside in walk mode to be able to walk around > refuel panel is there (only accessible via menu) not sure if we ever do it.
there are no external lights that are integrated into the plane to illuminate its surroundings and that are used by the ground crew > what do you mean? the lights illuminate the ground, given right shader settings. you've even got a flash light ;-)
It would be great if the wings had the flexibility you see in real life > problematic without causing artefacts -> we've decided for now to not do it... maybe if there's a well working shader
It would be great if the cockpit seats could be moved, inclining those of the pilot, co-pilot and the two auxiliary seats > cockpit currently gets reworked, what will move isn't 100% decided yet... we probably won't make everything move... we're a simulator, not a game
put an I-pad > nope... copyright issues... we've got ideas for a tablet tho
include a QNH > QNH is pressure which works... I assume you mean QRH???? there are already a few bits of it... contributions are more than welcome.
have a view of the flight attendants, to be able to manage the passenger cabin > probably won't be happening, we're a sim, not a game... we've even considered removing most of the cabin model
be able to put catering on the back door > ground services do need a general overhaul... fwd cargo door isn't serviced not is the aft smaller cargo door
enable cleaning vehicle > wanna contribute?
develop more ground vehicles > we can't do everything, main focus is the core aircraft... wanna contribute?
more airlines, I would like them to include one called interjet > current liveries will ALL get thrown out when the new 3D model comes... it's up to the community to make the new liveries.
landing gear down for gravity sistems > will come eventually
alternate flight plan in MCDU > will come eventually
be able to open and close the cab windows > nope... they're not cut out... won't be happening... but maybe you can hack something in the canvas livery system on 3D branch...
top panel radius > what do you mean????
cabin doors > they already there and move
rear cab compartments > ????
improve the ECAM status system > it's actually already quite good... just needs time to advance
wipers > will come eventually
MCDU-maintenance > whish list
be able to adjust oil quantity for motors and hydraulics > aircraft maintenance is kinda WIP... but rather stale.
be able to adjust the battery charge > same as above
enable wing emergency doors > currently same thing as the pax windows
evacuation slides > nothing decided in that regard
more ground connections > ????
DECEL > will come eventually
automatic calculation of v1, vr and v2 in the MCDU > nope... only via uplink from other source (currently simbrief, in future maybe the tablet)
I know the list is long, but this would improve the simulator a lot, maybe you can use the list as a list of objectives > well... of the essential things we're aware off and will come eventually, when we've got the time for it. gamey features... not so likely.

if someone knows how I can improve the a320

I've annotated a few things, you could help with... the ground service stuff sounds like a good start to contribute
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby CaptB » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am

May I add that adding objects willy nilly, for the sole purpose of eyecandy, such as the mentioned fully animated seats in the cockpit will hit performance.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks to comments from broh, I've corrected the behavior of the flight director pitch bar on takeoff roll and rotation to closely match the real plane. Big thanks to him for bringing it to my attention.

More changes are in works but I need my joystick at home to verify them... I don't have it with me on my medical trip.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Simworld2020 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:43 am

merspieler wrote in Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:36 pm:
V12 wrote in Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:46 pm:3 things should be corrected :
1. route follow algorithm
2. IAE engine idle thrust
3. radio function

Be our guest to fix them

Hi guys, I gave #3 a shot, the dropbox link is below. With this patch the com radios are turned on/off according to the state of their electrical bus supply, tested on 2020.4 with the trunk version of the aircraft. So no more com audio while the aircraft is cold and dark. Hope it's helpul.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft1eh2yi5f7dmqg/A320-family-audio-patch.zip?dl=1
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Postby merspieler » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks... is this patched based off of the dev or 3D branch?

It's rather hard to review this patch this way. Next time, please fork the repo on github, push your changes to your fork and then open a pull request.
If you need help with figuring out git, please let us know
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby Simworld2020 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:35 am

merspieler wrote in Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am:Thanks... is this patched based off of the dev or 3D branch?

It's rather hard to review this patch this way. Next time, please fork the repo on github, push your changes to your fork and then open a pull request.
If you need help with figuring out git, please let us know

I'll look into git, thanks for the offer of guidance.

The patch is on the latest trunk version that FG 2020.4 uses as its hangar. It's just a short nasal file with a few functions and then the main-xml had to be modified to list the nasal file. The patch will work on any version that has the same property tree structure /instrumentation/comm[0]/ etc and /systems/electrical/bus/ etc.

Actually it's so short I can post it here, first the modification of the main-xml file to list the new com-audio-cold-dark.nas file:

Code: Select all

<acp>
         <file>Aircraft/A320-family/Nasal/Panels/acp.nas</file>
         <file>Aircraft/A320-family/Nasal/Panels/com-audio-cold-dark.nas</file>
      </acp>

And here's the functional part of the nasal file that does the job:

Code: Select all
# To turn off com radios when insufficient voltage on the 'dc-ess' bus
# (i.e.: cold and dark), and turn them on when sufficient voltage appears
# on that bus, independent of any other existing initialization settings.
# A temporary patch on the road to full implementation of the audio panels.

var comsPath = "/instrumentation/comm[";

# Start by turning off each com radio after the sim starts:
for (var i = 0; i < 3; i = i+1)
   setprop(comsPath~i~"]/power-btn", 0);

var voltCheck_loop = func{

var busState = getprop("/systems/electrical/bus/dc-ess" or 0.0);

# Check bus voltage and then check the on/off state of each com radio:
   for (var i = 0; i < 3; i = i+1)

# If there is not enough voltage on the bus to run the radio,
      # but the radio is on, turn the radio off:

if((busState < 25) and (getprop(comsPath~i~"]/power-btn"))){
         setprop(comsPath~i~"]/power-btn", 0);
      }

# If there is enough voltage on the bus to run the radio,
      # but the radio is off, turn the radio on:

else if((busState >= 25) and (!getprop(comsPath~i~"]/power-btn"))){
         setprop(comsPath~i~"]/power-btn", 1);
      }else{
         continue;
      }
}

# Initial loop setup to repeat the process every 1/2 second:
voltCheck_loopTimer = maketimer(0.5, voltCheck_loop);

setlistener("sim/signals/fdm-initialized", func {
      print("Cold/Dark audio panel helper loaded...");
      voltCheck_loopTimer.start();
});

# End

That's it.
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
Simworld2020

Postby merspieler » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:14 pm

Um.. I think I let lego comment on that. He has done the work on the electrical system... but I'm pretty sure, there's a better way to handle that, thatn with a nasal for loop.

This single loop might not be too much of an issue but if we add a lot like this it will cause performance issues.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby eatdirt » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi there,
first flight for me on the A320 today, amazing! Thanks to all of you!

Someone running it on 2020.4.0? I am having troubles with the fps, running low at 7-12fps. I have tried to reduce the quality of the displays, DU menu, but that does not change by more than 1fps. Any ideas how to improve this? (other planes run fine, including the SpaceShuttle).

PS: At first I got some troubles to find a detailed tutorial, like how to enter the flight plan and even start the engines :) I ended up watching dumb&dumber tutorials on youtube, which are kind of annoying and ultra-slow :-/ I think It would be nice to have a wiki, or a more detailed check-list on board, I don't think it misses a lot, but just enough to not get stuck for total beginners on that plane. The one of the 777 for instance is pretty good.

Cheers,
Chris.
Last edited by eatdirt on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatdirt

Postby merspieler » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:18 pm

The reason, why we don't have tutorials yet is cause we'd have to update them, everytime we improve the plane
See this issue.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby eatdirt » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:15 pm

See this issue.

Thanks for the link, I've added my 2 cents :) I would not mind editing the wiki, but I need to read the real procedures first, to learn the acronyms and avoid writing erroneous statements.
eatdirt

Postby V12 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:26 pm

eatdirt :
You will need AIRAC navigation procedures. FG accepts LEVEL-D .xml procedures files. Best source is Navigraph (payware), but some procedures are here in the forum.
If You have low fps, disable AI traffic, then set LOD to 60 km, visibility in the advanced weather 40 km, clouds draw distance 30 km, turn off all shaders except MODEL.
For more infos or tutorials find blackbox711's YT videos. A320 has very nice integration with flightplanner SimBrief (http://www.simbrief.com). Here You can create account, then flightplan, generate OFP data, in A320 menu FMGC/Simbrief enter Your username. You need load state Cold and Dark or Ready to Start Eng, otherwise OFP download is not allowed.
Check my videos :

... or full flight from LOWI to LSGG :

Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Simworld2020 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am

merspieler wrote in Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:14 pm:
This single loop might not be too much of an issue but if we add a lot like this it will cause performance issues.

I'm curious how to do it most efficiently. The problem I found is that a listener can't be used to monitor a changing voltage property.
Maybe a boolean "enough voltage" flag property could be initialized and the voltage could be checked and the flag set in a loop that already exists elsewhere in the aircraft. Then any future needs to check that bus voltage could just use a listener.
I'm also curious to know if it could be done in xml, what kind of animation/binding, if any, could be used.
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
Simworld2020

Postby merspieler » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am

Our systems partly run in JsbSim (which is xml, but nothing like the animation xml stuff). Which is more performant than the nasal code.

But again, lego might be able to better describe it, as he has done those systems.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Yes that type of fix should be integrated in the rmp nasal or electrical jsbsim. I will investigate if lego doesn't have the time before I do.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Simworld2020 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:29 pm

merspieler wrote in Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 am:If you need help with figuring out git, please let us know

OK, just looking for a sanity check on git / subversion tools and a little guidance.

1. Are git tools for working with github repositories only and svn tools for sourcefourge only? Do I have a choice or will I need both? I've downloaded and installed both and just now getting familiar with them, but if I can use only one for both tasks I imagine that would be easier.

2. If I want to experiment with my own branch to try to contribute, which repository should I clone? Because I found the trunk repo on sourceforge and the legoboy dev repo on github so far. I have not yet been able to find the stable repo on sourceforge, could you please provide a url?

3. Is it ok to post git/svn questions here in this A320-dev thread or should I instead post them in a support thread elsewhere on the board?

Thanks.
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
Simworld2020

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft