Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A320-family development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: A320-family development

Postby duardo_cola » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:08 pm

Greetings,

I have created a simple Python script that converts Navigraph (Level-D) navigation data into the a320-family format, you just place the script beside the navdata directory, run it and it generates the proper structure inside an FMSDATA directory.

I wonder if you guys already have a tool for that, or maybe would wish to make it available for everyone... I used to manually copy and rename the navdata files for each airport I planned to fly to which was quite cumbersome :D

Thanks.
duardo_cola

Postby merspieler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 pm

There's already a bash script on the wiki.

And there's as well a python script: http://frougon.net/python_dumping_groun ... navdata.py
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby duardo_cola » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:25 pm

I see,

Can these instructions be inserted into the Readme? I followed the instruction there and they're a bit unclear. For example, it says that the folder structure should be FMSDATA/X/X/X/XXXX.procedures.xml, but that doesn't work in the sim; instead, it should be FMSDATA/Airports/X/X/X/XXXX.procedures.xml.
duardo_cola

Postby merspieler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 pm

I'll add a link to the wiki page to the readme.

Since navdata is a topic for fg in general, it's better to be on the wiki than in one aircrafts readme.

If you find issues in the wiki, feel free to correct them.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby duardo_cola » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 pm

By the way, the latest 3d-canvas commit doesn't seem to be working? When the sim starts, a red box pops up saying essential files are missing and that the aircraft is deactivated. I've redownloaded three times, to no avail. Any ideas?
duardo_cola

Postby duardo_cola » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:51 pm

The neo variant only, guess it's WIP...
duardo_cola

Postby merspieler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 pm

yeah, neo doesn't work on the 3D-canvas branch yet cause they're not quite ready...
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby Lydiot » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:19 am

V12 wrote in Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:07 pm:The state "ready to start engines" is here for faster start

Right. It makes things faster and easier. Right? Exactly the same goal as I was talking about.

V12 wrote in Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:00 pm:I'm happy to use MCDU for flight planning (and other things). It is much more realistic than route manager.

But "ready to taxi" and "ready to start engines" is NOT more realistic. Still, they're there, right? So the argument that it needs to be realistic can be used against that too. But it isn't.

Octal450 wrote in Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:17 pm:It's not any harder to use the MCDU vs Route Manager. You still type what you want and insert... I fail to see how it's harder to get up in a air?

I didn't say it was harder to get up in the air, I meant it was easier for someone who already knows Route Manager to just keep using it instead of having to learn how to do something else.

V12 wrote in Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:07 pm:and SimBrief integration. Because as in the reality, You can download flightplan only with not running engines. For flight planning, check SimBrief, create an account - it is free. Make flightplan and You can download this flightplan and other OFP data into FMGC. Check this video for more details :

See the Route Manager in FlightGear is common to all aircraft that allow it. So I had to learn that only once. Now I have had to learn that and add "SimBrief" (I have no idea what that is) and create an account apparently. And watch another video to learn how to do it.

From the perspective of someone who already knows Route Manager and doesn't want to spend more time learning more ways of getting the same thing done this isn't really an improvement.

But since people are saying it's impossible to have Route Manager and this work at the same time it's really not worth talking about.
Lydiot

Postby V12 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:53 am

Dear Lydiot :
If You want simulation, use A320family with all features and start in Cold 'n Dark state, if You want game, use one of the many other less developed aircrafts - for example 737-800YV without MCDU, but with Route Manager.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Lydiot wrote in Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:19 am:From the perspective of someone who already knows Route Manager and doesn't want to spend more time learning more ways of getting the same thing done this isn't really an improvement.

But since people are saying it's impossible to have Route Manager and this work at the same time it's really not worth talking about.

Well, I agree there - this is all somewhat a moot topic since it's simply not compatible at all unfortunately. I do have a work in progress branch which reimplements it using route manager internals and it _might_ be possible to re-enable the dialog -- but I'm waiting for core fixes for nearly 2 years now and not too hopeful of ever getting them.

As far as the current situation; you've got 2 options:
  • Either fill out the MCDU in its entirety -- which is not very intuitive, but once you get the hang of it, its not too bad
  • Create a Simbrief flightplan online; set up your username in the FMGC --> Simbrief menu in the aircraft, and then press INIT request on the INITA MCDU page -- then with a single click the MCDU will be filled out for you; route, fuel, everything!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Octal450 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Lydiot wrote:But "ready to taxi" and "ready to start engines" is NOT more realistic. Still, they're there, right?

That is an invalid argument. Those buttons set up the plane exactly how it would be in that real life in that condition. Comparing them to the route manager vs FMGS is like comparing apples to orange. This is not a sense.

Very sorry. We are NOT going to handicap the plane just because you don't want to learn how its done in real life. Since the very first day I ever posted about the A320 back in 2016, I said the goal was to be a "study level" simulation one day. And as our team work towards that, the plane will get more complex to fly like a real plane. If you don't like it, the solution is simple -> take an earlier commit or fly a different aircraft.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Johan G » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 am

Some posts were split off to the new topic MCDU/FMS - Generic framework vs. custom implementation.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby PK-DNZ_107 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:27 am

Hello guys, it's me again!

How's it going? Hopefully, you guys are in great shape!

I've been away for a while from the flightsim world, more than a year I guess since the pandemic hit globally. I'm glad to know that the development of this beautiful aircraft is still on track. I just downloaded the latest update from Github and am so anxious to give it a try. I wonder if this was mentioned in previous pages, but what FG version is needed for the newest A320-family version to run smoothly?

Thanks for the answers, and have a great day from wherever you are!

Cheers!
PK-DNZ_107

Postby merspieler » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:48 am

Depending on which branch you use, either the current stable release (for the dev branch) or if you want to try the latest feature branches I'd recommend a current nightly build that includes some required fixes.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby PK-DNZ_107 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:59 am

^
I see there are several versions of nightly build:
- FlightGear-2020.4.0-nightly-full.dmg
- FlightGear-latest-nightly-full.dmg

What is the difference between these two?

And also, what branches would you recommend for me to try? I just downloaded the latest dev branches.
PK-DNZ_107

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft